Viewer Comments: Lumbar Laminectomy - Recovery

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lumbar Laminectomy:

Lumbar Laminectomy - Recovery

What was the recovery period for your lumbar laminectomy?

Comment from: Savannah Lou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

My surgery was this year. I have not had one day of being pain free. My surgeon told me he may have been too conservative and I should have had a fusion. He worked on four areas of my spine and said I should be feeling better. My pain is worse. Most days I want to scream.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I am 2 1/2 months out of surgery. I had a lumbar laminectomy L4/L5 with a microdiscectomy. I have returned to work driving a school bus but still have lots of pain. Some days are better than others. Came to this site to see if all of this is normal and so far it sure looks like it. I can't walk very long or very far. Sitting is painful after about 1 hour on my bus. Getting up and moving helps with that. Some days I can't stand for more than 5 minutes. Ice is my new best friend. I plan on trying acupuncture since I heard this might help. From what I have read on this and other sites it may take up to 1 year for full recovery. Hope not.

Comment from: Joyce, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had lumbar laminectomy nearly two years ago. I am without pain now but I am finding it more and more difficult to walk any distance and in using stairs. I have numbness in my right leg since the operation. When walking it feels as though my back will collapse and I find it affects my breathing. I use a treadmill to keep me fit. I also have slight pain when I touch the lower part of my spine. I am in my 80s so do realize some of it can be old age. I have always been active even before the op. The aftermath has ended that.

Comment from: cowmarc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had spinal fusion in late June for severe sciatic problems in my left buttock/leg/ankle and foot. Two facet pins were placed on each side of my L5, S1 area. I woke up in recovery with absolutely no pain. Two months into recovery, I started have the same symptoms but now in my right leg and the top of my right foot felt like it was scalded/burning. Tried Neurotin, but it did not help.

Comment from: hopeful, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I had surgery 4 weeks ago. My back pain has completely gone but have numbness in my left toes and my right foot and toes. I had pain down my right leg pre surgery which is why I proceeded with the surgery. Thepain has changed in my right leg and the numbness and leg cramps are uncomfortable taking pain relief is 24/7. At 6 weeks if the numbness is still present I am having another MRI to see what the problem is. I am being patient doing my excercises and hoping it is temporary.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

It took me a year to fully recover from the surgery but it has been worth it all and I've not had any problems since. That was 2006! Hang on, have hope.

Comment from: Mark, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I felt nearly 100% better the minute I woke up in recovery. It has been three weeks now and I have not had any pain at all; just some irritation from the incision. I feel 100% relief from the chronic sciatica that drove me to the decision to have surgery. My disk at L4/L5 had leaked and pressed about 50% of the way into the nerve. The Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC is a remarkable place.

Comment from: Loloa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

Seven weeks now since my lumbar laminectomy - driving but with some discomfort - incision healed well but still internal lumbar pain and leg weakness. I can walk well on level surfaces. Cannot cope with lifting and certain types of housework.

Comment from: Sanderson2c, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I had more than 8 disks done at one time. I went in thinking we would only do 2 but my back was in bad shape. It has taken more than two years to recover. Also after the surgery I developed a severed vitamin D deficiency which kept me from pt because of uncontrolled high blood pressure. This has now been found and I'm on the road to recovery.

Must Read Articles Related to Lumbar Laminectomy

Cauda Equina Syndrome
Cauda Equina Syndrome The spinal cord extends from the brain down through the spinal canal inside the vertebral column. The spinal cord is surrounded by dural sacs, which are extensi...learn more >>
Sciatica
Sciatica Sciatica is lower back pain with pain that radiates through the buttocks and down one leg. Common causes include herniated disc, spinal stenosis, piriformis syn...learn more >>
Slipped Disk
Slipped Disk An abnormal, injured, or degenerated vertebral disk that has protruded against nerve fibers is called a slipped, prolapsed, ruptured, or herniated disk. A slipp...learn more >>