Viewer Comments: Lumbar Laminectomy - Recovery

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lumbar Laminectomy:

Lumbar Laminectomy - Recovery

What was the recovery period for your lumbar laminectomy?

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I am still recovering from my laminectomy procedure after six weeks. I have severe pain my legs, feet and toes. My doctor is in the process of ordering an EMG to check for nerve damage.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had my surgery 16 years ago. I had numbness going down my right leg for about a year following the surgery and the only after effect I have is it feels like there is a little pea under my little toe on my left foot. I sure can live with that. The strength that I did have is not there but there are very few things I cannot do. Still work in a factory that is physically demanding. I still ride my horse, although I was told not too, been thrown several times, broken ribs, concussions, more broken ribs but never hurt my back. So hang in there, hopefully it gets better with time. I did have an excellent surgeon.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I had laminectomy of l4 and l5 5 mos ago I can walk with no leg pain.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 03

It has been 13 weeks since my surgery. I'm still having problems standing for any length of time and picking up objects that are slightly heavy cause a little pain. I have some numbness in my toes but not bad. I thought I would be back to work in 6 weeks, but that didn't happen. I do therapy two times a week and that helps, but my back feels so weak.

Comment from: Enid, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 29

It has been over five years since two such surgeries. I never cease to have pain and have to take Oxycontin in order to exist. It was such a mistake to have the surgeries. My pain is so much worse now, and has never let up without the pain pills. I cannot walk more than 1/2 a block without suffering awful pain later in the evening. The same thing is true if I stand for any time. Sitting does relieve it, if it is not too bad, but when it gets bad only the pain pills relieve, and it takes some time when I don't take the pill until I am in pain.

Comment from: Savannah Lou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

My surgery was this year. I have not had one day of being pain free. My surgeon told me he may have been too conservative and I should have had a fusion. He worked on four areas of my spine and said I should be feeling better. My pain is worse. Most days I want to scream.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I am 2 1/2 months out of surgery. I had a lumbar laminectomy L4/L5 with a microdiscectomy. I have returned to work driving a school bus but still have lots of pain. Some days are better than others. Came to this site to see if all of this is normal and so far it sure looks like it. I can't walk very long or very far. Sitting is painful after about 1 hour on my bus. Getting up and moving helps with that. Some days I can't stand for more than 5 minutes. Ice is my new best friend. I plan on trying acupuncture since I heard this might help. From what I have read on this and other sites it may take up to 1 year for full recovery. Hope not.

Comment from: Joyce, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had lumbar laminectomy nearly two years ago. I am without pain now but I am finding it more and more difficult to walk any distance and in using stairs. I have numbness in my right leg since the operation. When walking it feels as though my back will collapse and I find it affects my breathing. I use a treadmill to keep me fit. I also have slight pain when I touch the lower part of my spine. I am in my 80s so do realize some of it can be old age. I have always been active even before the op. The aftermath has ended that.

Comment from: cowmarc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had spinal fusion in late June for severe sciatic problems in my left buttock/leg/ankle and foot. Two facet pins were placed on each side of my L5, S1 area. I woke up in recovery with absolutely no pain. Two months into recovery, I started have the same symptoms but now in my right leg and the top of my right foot felt like it was scalded/burning. Tried Neurotin, but it did not help.

Comment from: hopeful, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I had surgery 4 weeks ago. My back pain has completely gone but have numbness in my left toes and my right foot and toes. I had pain down my right leg pre surgery which is why I proceeded with the surgery. Thepain has changed in my right leg and the numbness and leg cramps are uncomfortable taking pain relief is 24/7. At 6 weeks if the numbness is still present I am having another MRI to see what the problem is. I am being patient doing my excercises and hoping it is temporary.

Must Read Articles Related to Lumbar Laminectomy

Cauda Equina Syndrome
Cauda Equina Syndrome Cauda equina syndrome is a condition that involves severe compression and inflammation of the nerves in the the lower spine. Cauda equina syndrome requires emer...learn more >>
Sciatica Sciatica is lower back pain with pain that radiates through the buttocks and down one leg. Common causes include herniated disc, spinal stenosis, piriformis syn...learn more >>
Slipped Disk
Slipped Disk An abnormal, injured, or degenerated vertebral disk that has protruded against nerve fibers is called a slipped, prolapsed, ruptured, or herniated disk. A slipp...learn more >>