Viewer Comments: Lumbar Laminectomy - Recovery

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lumbar Laminectomy:

Lumbar Laminectomy - Recovery

What was the recovery period for your lumbar laminectomy?

...
Comment from: 815snicker, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

Three weeks ago I had a lumbar laminectomy and fusion with 4 screws. The last three days my pain level has been about a 3 down from 10 just last week. When the doctor tells you not to do anything like bend or lift, listen to him! I stopped even dusting the floor and vacuuming and have improved tremendously! Plus I don't have to take heavy drugs anymore!

Comment from: Catnandu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had a hemilaminectomy and microdiscectomy on 4/14/16 as outpatient surgery. Sounds as though everyone else had a hospital stay. They sent me home after I got up to urinate (1 or 2 hours after surgery).

Comment from: nightside, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am rounding the bend to six weeks out from lumbar laminectomy and I do feel a lot better but still so far from fully functional. I was told by my surgeon that my recovery was excellent. I can't imagine if there were problems. I have learned about myself and have, of necessity, learned patience with myself. If my husband had not been so attentive, concerned, informed and available, I don't know how well it would have gone. He is my rock and he has no idea how grateful I really am. Ok, he knows a little. A bad day feels like what I call triple gravity. A not good day is double gravity. A good day is normal gravity.

Comment from: Gremlin, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I had pain so severe I could not stand or walk 50 meters even with a walking stick. I was misdiagnosed by my first general physician (GP) and went through 10 months of pain while having physiotherapy and acupuncture to no avail. Second GP said it was pinched nerve, and CT scan, MRI and operation found cyst at L4, L5. No pain after the lumbar laminectomy and I was walking same day. Now it is 18 days after operation and it is going well.

Comment from: Ms. M, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I had hip and leg pain as well as numbness in my foot for about 5 years. I was misdiagnosed for all those years until a physiotherapist figured it out. I had a lumbar (L3, L4, L5, and S1) laminectomy two weeks ago. Some of the pain has resolved in that I'm now able to stand/walk for 15 minutes or so, however I'm still having some hip and leg pain as well as numbness. The numbness has actually moved further up my leg since surgery. I'm hopeful that some of the residual symptoms will resolve, but even if they don't, I don't regret having surgery. Most of the post-operation pain occurred the first 2 to 3 days after surgery.

Comment from: David, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

Eight years ago I was getting terrible pain in my left leg and spasms in my lower back. My doctor suggested physiotherapy and epidural injections, which I did. About 5 years ago the pain in my left buttock and thigh was so bad that I could not walk more than 10 minutes without excruciating pain in these areas. I tried epidural injections again and they lasted about 6 months. I talked to my back surgeon about relief from lumbar laminectomy surgery and he said I should receive at least 70 percent improvement from the pain. It has been one week since he operated on L 2 through the sacrum and I took my first walk outside about one mile without a cane or walker and I had 0 percent pain. I don`t know if this is still too soon to be optimistic yet, but it feels great to be pain-free!

Comment from: lawlyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

On April 23rd of this year 2015 I had a lumbar laminectomy, due to severe spinal stenosis. Bone was cut out of my spine before the lumber laminectomy. I am still in the healing process. I still have pain, but I am getting better as each day passes. My surgeon told me it would take 6 months to a year to heal. I have weakness in my legs. My insurance wouldn't pay for physical therapy.

Comment from: Geezer Rich, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I had lumbar laminectomy in my L4 L5 and fusion two years ago. I was back to normal in about three months, felt fine at one year. I did my normal stuff from three months. No pain in activities. I took no pain pills except acetaminophen after second day in hospital. I had a three day stay in the hospital. I walked two miles a day for therapy. I had a second laminectomy in L3 L4 with synovial cyst removal. After three weeks I was driving shorter distances, no more than 35 miles one way, I was moving well, no pain. No pain pills except acetaminophen ever. I am feeling good. I was up to walking two miles on back trails after three weeks post operation.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Lumbar Laminectomy

Cauda Equina Syndrome
Cauda Equina Syndrome Cauda equina syndrome is a condition that involves severe compression and inflammation of the nerves in the the lower spine. Cauda equina syndrome requires emer...learn more >>
Slipped Disk
Slipped Disk An abnormal, injured, or degenerated vertebral disk that has protruded against nerve fibers is called a slipped, prolapsed, ruptured, or herniated disk. A slipp...learn more >>