Viewer Comments: Lumbar Laminectomy - Recovery

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lumbar Laminectomy:

Lumbar Laminectomy - Recovery

What was the recovery period for your lumbar laminectomy?

Comment from: bparks, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I had a laminectomy in October. Exactly three months to the date, I felt great; I didn't need any pain pills. Now, on the opposite side of my body from the waist down, I have a lot of pain, and I am limping. I have an X-ray appointment next week. Then I will know just what the heck is going on (I hope). Physical therapy didn't help; I would have to come home, take a pain pill, and go to bed. It doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Comment from: sofia028, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had two L4/L5 laminectomies within a year to remove a synovial cyst and bone spurs. After the first surgery, I was able to go home that same day and felt instant relief. After about three months, I was feeling awful. My neurosurgeon wasn't helping, as he just gave me refills on my meds. I decided to get a second opinion and got a new MRI. The previous neurosurgeon failed to remove all of the synovial cyst so it came back. I needed another lumbar laminectomy. The second surgery required me to stay overnight in hospital and it was very painful recovery. It has been 6 months. I have the same chronic pain.

Comment from: sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had a laminectomy at Kings College in December for a trapped nerve and spinal stenosis. The pain was very bad after the operation requiring morphine etc, but now 4 weeks on, I have recovered and I am swimming and walking my dog again!

Comment from: Bushmaster, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I had a laminectomy on my L2 vertebra after a burst fracture about a year and a half ago and it was successful in relieving the pain that would shoot down my right leg, but I still experience bad chronic pain from the site of the surgery and all across my lower back. I had a family doctor treating my pain, but he has gone to teach other medical students and the new doctors have decided to cut my pain medicines which aggravates me because it took so long to get some sort of pain relief. I can't believe I still hurt so much. I go to a pain management doctor soon and hope I can get some relief there. I wish all of you the best of luck!

Comment from: rick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

i had L5-S1 fusion about 4 years ago. I have been in severe pain ever since. I wish i had not had it done. I can't take enough pain pills to help.

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I am still recovering from my laminectomy procedure after six weeks. I have severe pain my legs, feet and toes. My doctor is in the process of ordering an EMG to check for nerve damage.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had my surgery 16 years ago. I had numbness going down my right leg for about a year following the surgery and the only after effect I have is it feels like there is a little pea under my little toe on my left foot. I sure can live with that. The strength that I did have is not there but there are very few things I cannot do. Still work in a factory that is physically demanding. I still ride my horse, although I was told not too, been thrown several times, broken ribs, concussions, more broken ribs but never hurt my back. So hang in there, hopefully it gets better with time. I did have an excellent surgeon.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I had laminectomy of l4 and l5 5 mos ago I can walk with no leg pain.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 03

It has been 13 weeks since my surgery. I'm still having problems standing for any length of time and picking up objects that are slightly heavy cause a little pain. I have some numbness in my toes but not bad. I thought I would be back to work in 6 weeks, but that didn't happen. I do therapy two times a week and that helps, but my back feels so weak.

Comment from: Enid, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 29

It has been over five years since two such surgeries. I never cease to have pain and have to take Oxycontin in order to exist. It was such a mistake to have the surgeries. My pain is so much worse now, and has never let up without the pain pills. I cannot walk more than 1/2 a block without suffering awful pain later in the evening. The same thing is true if I stand for any time. Sitting does relieve it, if it is not too bad, but when it gets bad only the pain pills relieve, and it takes some time when I don't take the pill until I am in pain.

Must Read Articles Related to Lumbar Laminectomy

Cauda Equina Syndrome
Cauda Equina Syndrome The spinal cord extends from the brain down through the spinal canal inside the vertebral column. The spinal cord is surrounded by dural sacs, which are extensi...learn more >>
Sciatica
Sciatica Sciatica is lower back pain with pain that radiates through the buttocks and down one leg. Common causes include herniated disc, spinal stenosis, piriformis syn...learn more >>
Slipped Disk
Slipped Disk An abnormal, injured, or degenerated vertebral disk that has protruded against nerve fibers is called a slipped, prolapsed, ruptured, or herniated disk. A slipp...learn more >>