Viewer Comments: Lumbar Laminectomy - Recovery

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lumbar Laminectomy:

Lumbar Laminectomy - Recovery

What was the recovery period for your lumbar laminectomy?

Comment from: David, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

Eight years ago I was getting terrible pain in my left leg and spasms in my lower back. My doctor suggested physiotherapy and epidural injections, which I did. About 5 years ago the pain in my left buttock and thigh was so bad that I could not walk more than 10 minutes without excruciating pain in these areas. I tried epidural injections again and they lasted about 6 months. I talked to my back surgeon about relief from lumbar laminectomy surgery and he said I should receive at least 70 percent improvement from the pain. It has been one week since he operated on L 2 through the sacrum and I took my first walk outside about one mile without a cane or walker and I had 0 percent pain. I don`t know if this is still too soon to be optimistic yet, but it feels great to be pain-free!

Comment from: lawlyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

On April 23rd of this year 2015 I had a lumbar laminectomy, due to severe spinal stenosis. Bone was cut out of my spine before the lumber laminectomy. I am still in the healing process. I still have pain, but I am getting better as each day passes. My surgeon told me it would take 6 months to a year to heal. I have weakness in my legs. My insurance wouldn't pay for physical therapy.

Comment from: Geezer Rich, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I had lumbar laminectomy in my L4 L5 and fusion two years ago. I was back to normal in about three months, felt fine at one year. I did my normal stuff from three months. No pain in activities. I took no pain pills except acetaminophen after second day in hospital. I had a three day stay in the hospital. I walked two miles a day for therapy. I had a second laminectomy in L3 L4 with synovial cyst removal. After three weeks I was driving shorter distances, no more than 35 miles one way, I was moving well, no pain. No pain pills except acetaminophen ever. I am feeling good. I was up to walking two miles on back trails after three weeks post operation.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had a lumbar laminectomy L4, L5 just a week ago, on May 8. I had had calf pain symptoms for several years, could hardly walk without pain in my left calf. I am very active, and the pain was causing severe lifestyle changes. I walked the hospital hallway pain free within hours after surgery. I have been home now for a little over a week, and walked 6 miles with no pain yesterday. My incision is still sore, and am careful not to bend or twist, but I wish I had had this surgery years ago. Can't thank my neurosurgeon enough.

Comment from: Marilyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had my lumbar laminectomy on April 30th. I was released May 13th. Today is May 17th. I started driving yesterday. I have been pain free for over a week now. I had suffered with terrible pain for over a year. Wish I could have had this surgery much sooner.

Comment from: me, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I had lumbar laminectomy 6 days ago due to a car accident 15 months ago. I had pain in my hip and leg daily, which prevented me from doing any exercise and made most walking activities a painful event. Then severe pain would last for days and sometimes weeks after any type of physical activity. It has been 6 days since my surgery and I am walking 2 plus miles per day and riding my exercise bike for 20 to 30 minutes. Other than tight muscles around the surgical site I feel great. There are still a few movements that cause a quick twinge of the nerves in the area, but they are improving quickly. I only took the prescribed pain pills for 2 days and now just some OTC ibuprofen.

Comment from: saima, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had a lumbar laminectomy just 1 month ago and the pain was gone instantly. It was in my L4 L5. My daughter is a nurse and made me get up and walk in that afternoon and again in the evening, and I have been walking ever since. My doctor was fabulous! He said to keep walking. I am bending to feed my cats and clean their litter, but for safety brace my back with arm holding on to counter. I have been doing laundry, but holding close to body. I suffered for years with buttock pain and it ran down left leg. I followed all rules, did therapy first, then surgery. Finally!

Comment from: Buckeye, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I had laminectomy, partial discectomy 4 days ago. I still have searing pain in my left buttock and hamstring which precipitated the surgical need. I am very disappointed with how much pain I still have. I am eating Percocet like skittles with very limited relief. I was offered much different expectations prior to surgery. No hospital stay, no home care instructions. Depression is setting in quickly. I question how anyone can live with this type of pain.

Must Read Articles Related to Lumbar Laminectomy

Cauda Equina Syndrome
Cauda Equina Syndrome Cauda equina syndrome is a condition that involves severe compression and inflammation of the nerves in the the lower spine. Cauda equina syndrome requires emer...learn more >>
Sciatica Sciatica is lower back pain with pain that radiates through the buttocks and down one leg. Common causes include herniated disc, spinal stenosis, piriformis syn...learn more >>
Slipped Disk
Slipped Disk An abnormal, injured, or degenerated vertebral disk that has protruded against nerve fibers is called a slipped, prolapsed, ruptured, or herniated disk. A slipp...learn more >>