Lung Cancer (cont.)
Support Groups and Counseling
Living with cancer presents many new challenges for people with cancer and for their family and friends.
- People with cancer will probably have many worries about how the cancer will affect them and their ability to live a normal life, that is, to care for their family and home, to hold a job, and to continue the friendships and activities they enjoy.
- Many people feel anxious and depressed. Some people feel angry and resentful; others feel helpless and defeated.
For most people with cancer, talking about their feelings and concerns helps.
- Friends and family members can be very supportive. They may be hesitant to offer support until they see how the person with cancer is coping. People with cancer should not wait for friends or family to bring it up; if they want to talk about their concerns, they should let friends and family know.
- Some people do not want to burden their loved ones or just prefer talking about their concerns with a more neutral professional. Discussing feelings and concerns about having cancer with a social worker, counselor, or member of the clergy can be helpful. A surgeon or oncologist should be able to recommend someone.
- Many people with cancer are profoundly helped by talking to other people who have cancer. Sharing concerns with others who have been through the same thing can be remarkably reassuring. Support groups of people with cancer may be available through the medical center where treatment is being received. The American Cancer Society also has information about support groups all over the United States.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 4/10/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Lung Cancer
Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor diet and nutrition, cancers, bone marrow problems, and more. Symptoms of anem...learn more >>
Bronchoscopy is performed to view the inside of a person's airway and lungs. There are two types of bronchoscopy, 1) rigid bronchoscopy and 2) flexible bronchos...learn more >>
Chemotherapy or "chemo" is a treatment for cancer. Depending on the type of cancer an individual has, it can cure cancer, control cancer. or ease cancer symptom...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lung Cancer: