Viewer Comments: Lung cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lung Cancer:

Lung cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your lung cancer?

Comment from: mbeach, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 02

My brother in-law, a moderate smoker, had no cough, no blood, no chest pain or discomfort, just back pain. He went to the doctor--nothing, a few weeks later to the ER, where they also did nothing (no X-ray, just muscle relaxers and pain pills. About a month later my brother in-law, in desperation, went to a friend's chiropractor. After conversing with my brother in-law the chiropractor thought it would be wise to X-ray the back before doing an adjustment. Low and behold there was the culprit--several masses on the spine. The chiropractor asked for my brother in-law's medical doctor information, called the doctor and the rest is history. Unfortunately, my brother in-law passed within 5 months of diagnosis. One week shy of his only child's high school graduation. The point of my story (and I do have one) is to insist on an x-ray even though other symptoms aren't present. Again, his only symptom was excruciating back pain. He was 53 and in relatively good health. Thin/fit, strong with good vitals. Very sad.

Comment from: one lunger, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 02

In Dec. of 2009 went to PC physician for chronic bronchitis, and he suggested a chest X-ray. The X-ray showed a cloudy area in right upper lung. I went for CT scan, and on December 23 was informed it was a 4.5 cm tumor. I had a biopsy in January and it was confirmed. I had surgery in February, and the right lung was removed. I endured a very painful recovery, and in May I started preventative chemo. I lost 50 pounds, and was very sick until August when chemo treatments ended. I recovered from chemo, and recovery has been a success. Except for some excess phlegm and shortness of breath, I feel fine now. I had CT scan in September and declared cancer free, next one scheduled for June 2011. Of course I still worry about cancer coming back, but we are looking forward to many years ahead. Lung cancer is not a death sentence and can be beat, and a positive attitude makes all the difference. In my case I was lucky it was detected in time, just wish I had had that chest X-ray sooner.

Comment from: Charles, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 02

I am a 71-year old male who was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of the lung three years ago (2008). Though I had stopped smoking in 1985, my primary physician insisted on my having a screening spiral CT scan after several cases of bronchitis and pneumonia. Over the next two years I had three follow-up scans before cancer was diagnosed and confirmed with needle biopsy. I had a minimally invasive surgery and have been cancer free for two years eight months.

Comment from: Arby, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 02

In March of 2011 I was scheduled for a lumbar laminectomy and a pre-op chest x-ray disclosed a well-differentiated adenocarcinoma. A further PET scan disclosed a metastatic moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma in my left flank. I have not had any symptoms to date and have completed my first chemotherapy treatment with the second scheduled for next Monday (6/2011). I am dealing with a number of unpleasant side-effects at this time.

Comment from: george, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 02

My dear wife of 25 years and 1 month died of lung cancer on October 23, 2009.her rotten ordeal with insidious cancer began in September 2006 emanating with excruciating pain in her shins. Within weeks of the onset of this suffering a specialist could not pinpoint a diagnosis that ranged from lupus to some sort of connective tissue disorder that may be one of 100strains of arthritis. With this lack of specific diagnosis pain pills and further blood testing were prescribed. At this point I regret not insisting on more specific X-rays and diagnostic procedures. In June of 2007 Kathy coincidently seemed to have contracted pneumonia and began being treated with antibiotics that further masked her disease. As the antibiotics did nothing in approx. 10 days and after coughing and hacking produced some signs of blood further x-rays were performed showing no dissipation of the pneumonia cloudiness. A few days into July Kathy became extremely weakened as we went to emergency at which time I insisted on her admittance for further testing. A bronchoscopy was done on July 18 as well as a syringe extraction of lymph matter. On our oldest son's 20th birthday July 30, 2007 we heard the result a confirmation of 4th stage terminal lung cancer. I will not blame healthcare services but in hindsight the pain, the clubbing finger nails, the number of classic symptoms maybe should have jumped out at somebody.

Comment from: toonie, Male (Caregiver) Published: August 02

My husband has just been diagnosed with lung cancer. He has had c.o.p.d. for 12 years and seen a pulmonologist regularly. The test show not only lung but bone, liver and lymph node involvement. We see a specialist next week and are very concerned. He had pain in his chest which is what lead to the CAT and PET scans. It looks like a long difficult treatment.

Must Read Articles Related to Lung Cancer

Anemia
Anemia Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor diet and nutrition, cancers, bone marrow problems, and more. Symptoms of anem...learn more >>
Bronchoscopy
Bronchoscopy Bronchoscopy is performed to view the inside of a person's airway and lungs. There are two types of bronchoscopy, 1) rigid bronchoscopy and 2) flexible bronchos...learn more >>
Chemotherapy
Chemotherapy Chemotherapy or "chemo" is a treatment for cancer. Depending on the type of cancer an individual has, it can cure cancer, control cancer. or ease cancer symptom...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lung Cancer:

Lung cancer - Experience

Please describe your experience with lung cancer.