Viewer Comments: Lung cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lung Cancer:

Lung cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your lung cancer?

Comment from: John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 02

My doctors thought I had pneumonia for three months before deciding to do a CT scan. Now, my doctors tell me that I have lung cancer which disguised itself as many other problems. The prognosis is not good.

Comment from: Pro-Active, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 02

I am amazed at some of these comments. We must all be pro-active in our health issues, regardless what they may be. When it comes to cancer especially, a second opinion is a must! No one should be satisfied with an answer of “Wait and see,” when there is even a slight sign of any kind of cancer. Wait and see? NO WAY! You get yourself to another doctor right away.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 02

My mother-in-law is in the hospital now with stage IV cancer. She developed a cough a couple months ago, then mild shortness of breath, and then severe shortness of breath which led her to the hospital. It is already stage 4. She has it in her lungs (which one completely stopped working) and 5 places in her spine. I have no idea if this means she is going to die or if she has a chance. I'm worried. Her lungs keep swelling with fluid and she is becoming incontinent. She is on oxygen all the time now. She smoked for over 30 years. I smoke as well, but I'm so scared now that I'm planning on quitting. She has adenocarcinoma.

Comment from: wife, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 02

My husband's physician of six years attributed his wheezing in chest, tiredness, chest discomfort to his weight and chronic bronchitis. As my husband grew more tired I thought he may have heart problems. I persuaded him to see a cardiologist. It was determined my husband had lung cancer stage 4.

Comment from: Susan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

Hi - I'm a 65 year old female, smoked for 20 years, - 6 years ago, had a lung x-ray- then a needle biopsy and as it had not metastasized - within a month I was having a section of my right lung removed; a year later, another tumor so the remainder of the lobe in my right lung was removed; last year another tumor - so the remainder of my lung was removed. No other treatment except 6 month follow-ups. Surgery was not bad - first couple of days after were uncomfortable but I was always given pain control (which I rarely needed) - I am not a "survivor" -because I simply will not let lung cancer kill me.

Comment from: KRRT1966, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I'm a 62 year-old female. When teaching I would cough and cough so I went to the doctor. I had a chest X-ray-April. It came back with a large mass in the right lobe, lung cancer-stage 3B. Now I am waiting for the treatment plan and pray that it will be successful.

Comment from: tklaroz, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 02

My father who was a smoker for years but has not touched one since he had triple bypass surgery on his heart in 1983. He has been diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of the lung, which started with a horrible cough. It seems his lungs were filling up with fluid and by the time we got him to see a doctor, we were told he had this terminal condition.

Comment from: ritalogalbo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I have been coughing up blood in my sputum. I have chest pain that goes to the back. They found a 5mm size spot on my lung. Now my doctor is waiting for 3 months before the biospy is done.

Comment from: jackie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I am a 44 year old female who gave up smoking 1 year before I was diagnosed with lung cancer. I didn't have the supposed symptoms. I had a swelling on the left side of my neck and after a biopsy was told the dreaded news. My doctors have been great explaining things to me and my husband: Although I have lung cancer my lungs are clear and all tumors are outside of lung, so I don't know what's in store for me.

Must Read Articles Related to Lung Cancer

Anemia
Anemia Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor diet and nutrition, cancers, bone marrow problems, and more. Symptoms of anem...learn more >>
Bronchoscopy
Bronchoscopy Bronchoscopy is performed to view the inside of a person's airway and lungs. There are two types of bronchoscopy, 1) rigid bronchoscopy and 2) flexible bronchos...learn more >>
Chemotherapy
Chemotherapy Chemotherapy or "chemo" is a treatment for cancer. Depending on the type of cancer an individual has, it can cure cancer, control cancer. or ease cancer symptom...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lung Cancer:

Lung cancer - Experience

Please describe your experience with lung cancer.