Viewer Comments: Lymphoma - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lymphoma:

Lymphoma - Symptoms

Lymphoma symptoms can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Quizfred, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

My large b-cell lymphoma was different than most. It started in the hollow part of my humerus and grew in there. I believe I had it for more than a year before it was diagnosed. It started with mild pain when I did some heavy lifting and ended up to the point I could not move my arm at all because of the pain. It is being treated with a combination of chemo and radiation therapy. My prognosis is good.

Comment from: vern, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I noticed swelling in my groin and discharge of white and pink fluid from my leg.

Comment from: Debra, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 13

My mother's first bout with lymphoma was in the tear ducts of her eyes. She had one tear duct in eye removed and the, she had 17 rounds of radiation in each eye. Then, the cancer settled in her spleen. She looked as if she was 9 months pregnant. She then had several round of radiation and chemotherapy. She went into remission for five years until she developed swelling in her cheek. First, the doctor thought it was her teeth causing problems, so he put her on antibiotics. When there was no decrease in the swelling, I insisted that she see another doctor, who also put her on antibiotics. I insisted that they biopsy deep tissues in her cheek. Lymphoma. If you suspect something is not right, get a second or even third opinion. Insist. You know your body best. My mother just turn 72 and she's still in remission.

Comment from: HOPE.., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

My diagnosed lymphoma started when I began to eat. I could only eat small bites. If I ate too much, I would get a pain in my stomach like no other. I ended up at the hospital, and I was thought to be having a gall stone attack. After a CT scan, I was shocked to find out that I had mass the size of a tennis ball at the top of my pancreas. I had an intense four months of chemotherapy, and now I go for check-ups every three months. Also, a few months before all my pain had begun I was told that I had an infection called Helicobacter pylori. I'm wondering if that might have had anything to do with my lymphoma. I am also the mother of four young children.

Comment from: cancer at 31, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

For my lymphoma, it all started with itchy skin on my arms, then it came all over. I tried all the time, but I didn't feel like doing even the most normal things. I just wanted to sleep all the time. I could not eat more than a few bits before I started to feel sick. I thought it wasn't a big deal until I got a dry cough, which turned into a cough with a bloody discharge. At that point, it was clear to my doctor that it was cancer. A chest X-ray and CT scan later confirmed it.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I had severe pain down my neck and left arm after a sip or two of wine or beer. I was unable to even taste anything with alcohol for at least 2 years. It baffled my doctor. In 2007 I got very sick and went to the doctor for persistent cough and found I had pneumonia. A week later I was told I had a mass in my chest (discovered on an ex-ray by a radiologist). I then had a CAT scan with a needle biopsy which was negative. My regular doctor wanted me to wait 3 months before another CAT scan. I asked for a referral to see an oncologist who requested a surgical biopsy and PET scan--he told me the alcohol-related pain was classic for Hodgkin's Disease. He was right. It was.

Comment from: mother of 2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I had severe itching I thought for 2 years it was just dry skin. Then I found a lump on my neck after a month I finally went to the doctor. After 2 different CT scans, they said I had lymphoma. So I had chemo every other week (ABVD) after 6 months it was gone.

Comment from: Keagen, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I had symptoms of a cold and tight chest for about six weeks. The doctor treated me for a cold. I had a strange cough and my chest was making funny sounds. My chest grew tighter and I struggled to breathe. Then one morning my whole neck and face was swollen. That was the start of my nightmare, and my whole life changed over a weekend.

Comment from: charmer5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

The only symptom of lymphoma I had was pain in my thigh. That's the only one I experienced. I went to an orthopedist, he saw something on an x-ray around my ischium bone which is one of the bone's of your pelvic region. He referred me to someone else who was an "orthopedist oncologist". They ran all kinds of tests, nothing showed up. It wasn't until 4 years later, when a doctor I had seen asked his radiologists to look at the films, they STILL did not think it was cancer. On his recommendation, he told me to take MRI's every 3-6 months and keep an eye on the area. It wasn't till the pain was soo bad that I couldn't walk, that the MRI finally showed an enlargement of a node in my lower abdomen that they then did a biopsy and everything else is history....in remission now it will be 3 years in July!

Must Read Articles Related to Lymphoma

Bone Marrow Biopsy
Bone Marrow Biopsy A bone marrow biopsy is performed to evaluate bone marrow function or to determine the cause of some infections, diagnose tumors, determine how far a disease, s...learn more >>
Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lymphoma:

Lymphoma - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your lymphoma?

Lymphoma - Experience

Please describe your experience with lymphoma.