Viewer Comments: Lymphoma - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lymphoma:

Lymphoma - Symptoms

Lymphoma symptoms can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Etta, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

Before being diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, I had flu like symptoms for 9 months. Other symptoms were a swollen belly (this is where my tumors were eventually found), tiredness, breathlessness, night sweats and fevers. My doctor at that time could not find out what was wrong with me. He told me that he thought I was becoming a hypochondriac. He was my doctor for 30 years, but after he insinuated I was a hypochondriac, I had to find a new doctor. This new Dr. did many tests, blood work, and scans. He put me in the hospital and I was finally diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. My blood count dropped way down. I needed surgery as one of the tumors was wrapped around my bowel. I had to wait 8 weeks for healing before I started chemo and Rituxan. I am a grateful survivor for 5 1/2 years. I'm so happy I changed doctors.

Comment from: Lito, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 08

My cardiologist referred me to a hematologist, as routine blood tests consistently revealed low white and red blood cell counts, as well as a low hemoglobin count. Additionally, I had had a cold/flu for three weeks or more for each of the previous four months. The hematologist found my low blood cell counts as interesting but was not "worried" as he treated other patients whose blood cell counts were much lower than mine. Initially, he thought I was anemic and he prescribed iron. The iron did not improve my blood cell counts, so he did a bone marrow biopsy of my right hip. The biopsy contained a few lymph cells but he was not worried as recent studies show that about five percent of the population over 65 have lymph cells in their bone marrow I am sixty-two years old). He was ready to stop testing then until I reminded him of my night sweats and fatigue, then he did a PEP scan in which I "lit up the board." A surgeon removed a lymph node from my groin and the pathologist discovered I have follicular lymphoma. Tomorrow, I start chemotherapy.

Comment from: Skip, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I noticed about two months ago I had a swollen limp node in my neck, which at first was just a pulled muscle. A few days later, though, I noticed a slight pain in my right lung. I couldn't take a full breath. After many blood tests, cat-scans, pet scans, etc, I was diagnosed with lymphoma. I'm waiting to be scheduled for my chemo treatments.

Comment from: GrandmaD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

About a year ago my primary care doc left her practice in my state and moved to another. In the 3 yrs I was her patient, she only did routine blood work for cholesterol. During my last year as her patient I told her that I had been losing weight consistently without dieting, and that I seemed to be very tired most of the time, and had terrible night sweats. She didn't seem concerned about the weight loss or the tiredness. A couple of months after she closed her office, I saw a new doctor (I call her my angel of Mercy). I told her about the weight loss, fatigue, and lack of blood tests, except for cholesterol checks. She immediately ordered a battery of blood tests and after getting the results, referred me to a Hematologist/Oncologist. My white count was high and so were my Lymphocytes. Within a week I was having a bone marrow biopsy which proved I have an indolent form of NHL. I don't know what the future will, bring but for now my wonderful oncologist and I think a "watch and wait" approach is the best course of action. He does blood work every 3 months and CT scans every 4-5 months. There has been little change in the CT scans, which is good news. I did get a second opinion, to satisfy some questions I had, and to pacify my family. I'm so glad I did. He was able to put my mind at ease about question I didn't know I had. My advice to anyone going thru this...don't hesitate to be checked, and don't hesitate to get a second opinion. Your doctor would rather you did, than to have questions you are afraid to ask.

Comment from: Quizfred, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

My large b-cell lymphoma was different than most. It started in the hollow part of my humerus and grew in there. I believe I had it for more than a year before it was diagnosed. It started with mild pain when I did some heavy lifting and ended up to the point I could not move my arm at all because of the pain. It is being treated with a combination of chemo and radiation therapy. My prognosis is good.

Comment from: vern, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I noticed swelling in my groin and discharge of white and pink fluid from my leg.

Comment from: Debra, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 13

My mother's first bout with lymphoma was in the tear ducts of her eyes. She had one tear duct in eye removed and the, she had 17 rounds of radiation in each eye. Then, the cancer settled in her spleen. She looked as if she was 9 months pregnant. She then had several round of radiation and chemotherapy. She went into remission for five years until she developed swelling in her cheek. First, the doctor thought it was her teeth causing problems, so he put her on antibiotics. When there was no decrease in the swelling, I insisted that she see another doctor, who also put her on antibiotics. I insisted that they biopsy deep tissues in her cheek. Lymphoma. If you suspect something is not right, get a second or even third opinion. Insist. You know your body best. My mother just turn 72 and she's still in remission.

Must Read Articles Related to Lymphoma

Bone Marrow Biopsy
Bone Marrow Biopsy A bone marrow biopsy is performed to evaluate bone marrow function or to determine the cause of some infections, diagnose tumors, determine how far a disease, s...learn more >>
Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lymphoma:

Lymphoma - Experience

Please describe your experience with lymphoma.

Lymphoma - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your lymphoma?