Viewer Comments: Lymphoma - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lymphoma:

Lymphoma - Symptoms

Lymphoma symptoms can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Tokkie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

Mine started with pain in the left side of abdomen. The pain escalated and on sonar and gastroscopy they found a tumor like growth full of solid fluid not clear. At first no diagnosis of cancer was made with the biopsy because it was only dead tissue a second biopsy from external gave the same reading . Surgery was done by removing the cyst like growth from the spleen, stomach and liver. 70% stomach and 33% liver had to be removed the third biopsy proved Lymphoma cancer. Probably the non Hodgkin type. I am now undergoing chemotherapy and the doctor said it is treatable with chemotherapy. I used to smoke a lot and would like to know if it caused the cancer.

Comment from: survivor, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I began to experience night sweats about nine months ago. They were obviously not related to hormone changes. About four months ago, I noticed that there were swollen glands sensitive to touch under both arms. I reported these symptoms to my internist, who referred me for a chest x-ray, then a CAT scan. The latter showed the swollen lymph glands and lymph system-related nodules in my lungs. A biopsy revealed that I have an indolent form of lymphoma related to B-cells in the immune system. I will consult with several oncologists to explore treatment options, which probably will involve biological methods of control with relatively few side effects.

Comment from: archemy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I had a pain high in the middle left side of my back that gradually got worse over a couple of months. I thought I had a pulled muscle, but it would be worse AFTER sleeping which was weird. The pain started to radiate so got a CT to see if it was a weird kidney stone. It was a 5x5x3cm mass growing out of my spinal cord. The biopsy showed it to be lymphoma, large diffuse B cell. Had chemo after the surgery; doing well.

Comment from: Aritan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

My lymphoma was found by accident. I had a pulmonary embolism and through a CT scan to locate the embolism they noticed something around my heart, confirmed by a needle biopsy it was Hodgkin's lymphoma. I had no symptoms like described except for shortness of breath and fatigue from the pulmonary embolism. I'm lucky it was found in its beginning stages.

Comment from: Jrobinson, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 22

My healthy active 75 year old grandmother was diagnosed with lymphoma cancer. She has it in her stomach area she couldn't eat and had pain and weight loss, the doctor at first thought it was ulcers but not a week later CANCER. She had a grandson with Leukemia and a brother with Hodgkin's. After her grandson died she discovered a rash that wouldn't go away it was on her legs for years she went to doctor and the skin doctor said they are due to stress, but now I am researching the symptoms a lot of things just keep adding up.

Must Read Articles Related to Lymphoma

Bone Marrow Biopsy
Bone Marrow Biopsy A bone marrow biopsy is performed to evaluate bone marrow function or to determine the cause of some infections, diagnose tumors, determine how far a disease, s...learn more >>
Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lymphoma:

Lymphoma - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your lymphoma?

Lymphoma - Experience

Please describe your experience with lymphoma.