Viewer Comments: Lymphoma - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lymphoma:

Lymphoma - Symptoms

Lymphoma symptoms can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: HOPE.., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

My diagnosed lymphoma started when I began to eat. I could only eat small bites. If I ate too much, I would get a pain in my stomach like no other. I ended up at the hospital, and I was thought to be having a gall stone attack. After a CT scan, I was shocked to find out that I had mass the size of a tennis ball at the top of my pancreas. I had an intense four months of chemotherapy, and now I go for check-ups every three months. Also, a few months before all my pain had begun I was told that I had an infection called Helicobacter pylori. I'm wondering if that might have had anything to do with my lymphoma. I am also the mother of four young children.

Comment from: cancer at 31, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

For my lymphoma, it all started with itchy skin on my arms, then it came all over. I tried all the time, but I didn't feel like doing even the most normal things. I just wanted to sleep all the time. I could not eat more than a few bits before I started to feel sick. I thought it wasn't a big deal until I got a dry cough, which turned into a cough with a bloody discharge. At that point, it was clear to my doctor that it was cancer. A chest X-ray and CT scan later confirmed it.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I had severe pain down my neck and left arm after a sip or two of wine or beer. I was unable to even taste anything with alcohol for at least 2 years. It baffled my doctor. In 2007 I got very sick and went to the doctor for persistent cough and found I had pneumonia. A week later I was told I had a mass in my chest (discovered on an ex-ray by a radiologist). I then had a CAT scan with a needle biopsy which was negative. My regular doctor wanted me to wait 3 months before another CAT scan. I asked for a referral to see an oncologist who requested a surgical biopsy and PET scan--he told me the alcohol-related pain was classic for Hodgkin's Disease. He was right. It was.

Comment from: mother of 2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I had severe itching I thought for 2 years it was just dry skin. Then I found a lump on my neck after a month I finally went to the doctor. After 2 different CT scans, they said I had lymphoma. So I had chemo every other week (ABVD) after 6 months it was gone.

Comment from: Keagen, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I had symptoms of a cold and tight chest for about six weeks. The doctor treated me for a cold. I had a strange cough and my chest was making funny sounds. My chest grew tighter and I struggled to breathe. Then one morning my whole neck and face was swollen. That was the start of my nightmare, and my whole life changed over a weekend.

Comment from: charmer5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

The only symptom of lymphoma I had was pain in my thigh. That's the only one I experienced. I went to an orthopedist, he saw something on an x-ray around my ischium bone which is one of the bone's of your pelvic region. He referred me to someone else who was an "orthopedist oncologist". They ran all kinds of tests, nothing showed up. It wasn't until 4 years later, when a doctor I had seen asked his radiologists to look at the films, they STILL did not think it was cancer. On his recommendation, he told me to take MRI's every 3-6 months and keep an eye on the area. It wasn't till the pain was soo bad that I couldn't walk, that the MRI finally showed an enlargement of a node in my lower abdomen that they then did a biopsy and everything else is remission now it will be 3 years in July!

Comment from: Tokkie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

Mine started with pain in the left side of abdomen. The pain escalated and on sonar and gastroscopy they found a tumor like growth full of solid fluid not clear. At first no diagnosis of cancer was made with the biopsy because it was only dead tissue a second biopsy from external gave the same reading . Surgery was done by removing the cyst like growth from the spleen, stomach and liver. 70% stomach and 33% liver had to be removed the third biopsy proved Lymphoma cancer. Probably the non Hodgkin type. I am now undergoing chemotherapy and the doctor said it is treatable with chemotherapy. I used to smoke a lot and would like to know if it caused the cancer.

Comment from: survivor, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I began to experience night sweats about nine months ago. They were obviously not related to hormone changes. About four months ago, I noticed that there were swollen glands sensitive to touch under both arms. I reported these symptoms to my internist, who referred me for a chest x-ray, then a CAT scan. The latter showed the swollen lymph glands and lymph system-related nodules in my lungs. A biopsy revealed that I have an indolent form of lymphoma related to B-cells in the immune system. I will consult with several oncologists to explore treatment options, which probably will involve biological methods of control with relatively few side effects.

Must Read Articles Related to Lymphoma

Bone Marrow Biopsy
Bone Marrow Biopsy A bone marrow biopsy is performed to evaluate bone marrow function or to determine the cause of some infections, diagnose tumors, determine how far a disease, s...learn more >>
Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lymphoma:

Lymphoma - Experience

Please describe your experience with lymphoma.

Lymphoma - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your lymphoma?