Medicine can prevent malaria and is necessary to treat the disease. Several factors influence the choice of medicine, including:
- Whether the medicine is being used to prevent or to treat malaria.
- Your condition (such as your age or whether you are pregnant).
- How sick you are from malaria.
- Geographic location where you were exposed to malaria.
- Whether the malaria parasite may be resistant to certain medications.
- Your ability to take the preferred medicine without side effects or complications.
- Whether you are able to take the medicine as a pill.
Malaria is rare in the United States, but it is widespread in other parts of the world. Find out about the risk for malaria before you travel internationally.