Viewer Comments: Mallet Finger - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mallet Finger:

Mallet Finger - Causes

What was the cause of your mallet finger?

Comment from: JT, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I was trying to remove a dried spot of paint off the floor and apparently scrubbed too hard. My finger just drooped! I thought I broke it; but upon independent research discovered it was mallet finger and went to the doctor for verification. I've had it a month with little healing. Probably I will have to wear a splint for 8 weeks. Never had any pain whatsoever. Doctor said there's usually over-working of the finger prior to the injury and a sudden impact or pressure causes the trauma. I apply Arnica on the bruised top of the finger and then wrap half a Popsicle stick with flesh-colored tape as a splint so I can still type and use a mouse.

Comment from: Boon dog, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I was diagnosed with mallet finger after catching a football with the family while on vacation. I am 5 weeks into it and have not bent the joint. I am using an oval 8 splint which is less of a pain to wear 24/7. Everything I read says it may heal in 6 weeks. I am a bit nervous about trying to bend it with the worry that it will not straighten back out after the 6 weeks, so I am curious to hear from someone who has gone through it.

Comment from: DD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I got my mallet finger cleaning a spot on my carpet.

Comment from: Obama sucks, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

Baseball hit my ring finger head on. I had a splint for eight weeks.

Comment from: Riley Fuzzell, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I tried to break up a dog fight. I must have jammed my ring finger because it would not straighten. There was no pain or swelling. It's been in a splint for three weeks so far.

Comment from: Alibinsd, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I was scraping some gunk off a floor and jammed my finger. I heard a pop. My finger looked just like the mallet finger picture. Now it's been two weeks with the splint and it's a pain in the butt. I have six more weeks to go and hopefully it'll be normal.

Comment from: steelydawn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I was pulling out a long tree root from an old sandbox in the back yard. I lost my balance and my finger jammed into the ground. Thank goodness it was sand or it might have fractured the bone.

Comment from: KLMEsq, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I saw a bug in my bathroom, and while in abject terror, I grabbed a shoe and slammed it down twice to kill it. After reading all of these stories I'm worried that I broke a fragment of bone. There was no real pain until the next day. If I had just used bug spray! I don't have insurance so I can't just go to the doctor. I have to splint it and pray it heals.

Comment from: Diamo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I was pushing off my boot and sock with my hand when I heard a pop and got a sharp pain (which wasn't too bad really). I went to hospital and had an X-ray. It seemed fine as far as the bones were concerned. I was given a splint and I kept the splint on for eight weeks but the finger still droops. After weeks of wearing this, it's disappointing it's still drooping, but I believe there are other splints which may be better.

Comment from: dmm63, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I fell down 14 slippery stairs.

Comment from: Ouch, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

A drill cord wrapped around my hand and the drill would not shut off! As the cord stopped tightening around my hand and fingers I heard a light pop! Didn't hurt any worse than over squeezing a finger but the end would not straighten! Just had a pin shoved in the end of the two bones!! Repair hurts way worse than the injury!!! 6 to 8 weeks to heal.

Comment from: T, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I got my mallet finger taking my socks off! I mean really!? Taking my socks off? I couldn't believe it. It was even more bothersome to hear that it will take more than eight weeks to heal. I would almost rather they just amputate the thing.

Must Read Articles Related to Mallet Finger

Broken Finger
Broken Finger A broken finger may have symptoms of sharp pain, limited motion, swelling, and bruising. Diagnosis of a broken finger is generally through X-rays. Treatment of ...learn more >>
Broken Hand
Broken Hand Broken hand (fractures) are caused by trauma to the hand, crush injuries, falls, sports injuries, improper use of tools, and workplace injuries. Broken hand is ...learn more >>
Finger Injuries
Finger Injuries Finger injuries can vary from small cuts, lacerations, puncture wounds, broken bones, dislocations, sprains, strains, nerve injuries, jammed fingers, and animal...learn more >>