Viewer Comments: Mallet Finger - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mallet Finger:

Mallet Finger - Causes

What was the cause of your mallet finger?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

Middle finger was damaged jumping over a steel chain link fence. 17 sutures were required around the fingerpad and DIP joint. The mallet condition became evident a few weeks after the injury.

Comment from: A. Maryland, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I put all my body's weight on fingers grasping a towel while cleaning a coffee spill in crevice of car seat.

Comment from: sandladyvb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

Rollerblading accident. I fractured my finger.

Comment from: Bradshaw, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 19

I was putting on a backpack -- a heavy one as I'm an army cadet. I swung it around my shoulder and my finger got caught behind the strap. I heard a popping noise, but still continued on. It wasn't until I looked at my finger that I realized I could not straighten it and went to seek medical attention. I have made a splint and this is my fourth week after it happened. It's getting straighter and I have no pain, but I still can't straighten it. Hopefully it turns out alright.

Comment from: saf, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I was drying dishes and a frying pan slipped, knocking my little finger. The finger was still straight at this point, although a little bit sore. I went to have a shower and felt something move inside the finger. When I looked at the finger, the top part of it had bent forward and I could not straighten it.

Comment from: dawgpound, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

Im a nurse and while working a patient punched my open hand and i heard a popping sound. When i left the room i noticed the tip of my finger would not go up. After seeing a hand specialist they said no surgery but I had to wear a special brace for 7-8 weeks. Its been about 6 weeks and my finger is still swollen and sore. The worse part is the brace is causing my skin to break down pretty bad. The best thing to do is line your brace with some kind of paper towel or toilet paper and change it often. Hopefully I sget this thing off soon...

Comment from: TWHladyinLV, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had a horse-riding accident where I fell off the horse and hit the metal rail in the arena. I broke four ribs and had a blow-out fracture of the orbital floor of my left eye. I had pain in my little finger and noticed it would not straighten, but my other areas of pain where so overwhelming I didn't do anything about the finger right away. After a few weeks the finger was still very painful I had it x-rayed and it showed there was a fracture at the joint. Now I am to go to a hand MD to get a mallet brace for now.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was scrubbing a stain on the carpet with a hand towel and I heard a pop and felt a quick jab of pain. After I finished cleaning (with other hand), I realized the tip would not go up. I made a splint with 2 sticks and tape and saw a doctor a few days later. It has been eight weeks wearing the splint and I am supposed to see a physical therapist next week. I get stinging pains in the finger alot, like a needle is being pushed thru it.

Comment from: Lolie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My mallet finger injury occurred as I was tucking the cover on my love seat in between the creases. I heard a pop sound and looked at my fingers and realized that my index finger was hanging. I just thought my finger just needed to be popped back into place so I made and appointment to see the doctor. It would take four days to see him, and in the meantime I bumped it quite a bit. This time it really hurt and got swollen so I went to emergency. There, I found out it was a mallet finger so now I'm waiting to see a specialist and hoping my finger isn't going to be deformed. Now it has been almost four weeks without any care.

Comment from: idiot bedmaker, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 12

I was making the bed and jammed my hand down the back to push the sheets under the mattress. I didn't realize how short the pocket was. I heard as sharp crack as the flexor tendon went. I've iced it and now I'm in a splint, but there is no real pain.

Comment from: Pianoman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

I've had 2 mallet finger injuries. One injury happened nine years ago while undressing. I was taking off a pair of pants that fit rather snugly. My hand lost its grip on the waistband, of the pants; my hand slipped, and my middle finger got caught either on the pocket or the folds of material. This was truly a freak accident! My second mallet finger injury (on my other hand) happened just three months ago. This injury occurred as I was making the bed and shoving the sheets between the mattress and box spring. Both injuries were not painful when they occurred. I did, however, both times hear a sound as if someone had snapped their finger.

Must Read Articles Related to Mallet Finger

Broken Finger
Broken Finger A broken finger may have symptoms of sharp pain, limited motion, swelling, and bruising. Diagnosis of a broken finger is generally through X-rays. Treatment of ...learn more >>
Broken Hand
Broken Hand Broken hand (fractures) are caused by trauma to the hand, crush injuries, falls, sports injuries, improper use of tools, and workplace injuries. Broken hand is ...learn more >>
Finger Injuries
Finger Injuries Finger injuries can vary from small cuts, lacerations, puncture wounds, broken bones, dislocations, sprains, strains, nerve injuries, jammed fingers, and animal...learn more >>