Viewer Comments: Mallet Finger - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mallet Finger:

Mallet Finger - Causes

What was the cause of your mallet finger?

Comment from: PetLover, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I was cleaning up cat barf on a light carpet and scrubbing with the sponge quite vigorously. As I pushed forward my middle finger (right hand unfortunately) was driven forward and under. Ouch! I immediately iced it thinking it was just out of joint. My husband wanted to push it back in; no! I waited over 3 weeks till the online nurse said to get to emergency room. Tendon was severed and it was splinted for over 3 months. Now it is in the Silver Ring Splint but it is no better. Now I am looking into having a permanent pin put in for the mallet finger. I would rather have it permanently straight than hanging down.

Comment from: BigK9mama, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I have had two mallet fingers. The first one was my middle finger on my right hand about 8 months ago. I was tucking a cover into the seat of a recliner when I hit my finger on one of the support bars of the chair. I heard a loud pop and experienced extreme pain. The tip of my middle finger was bent at a 90 degree angle and would not move. I did not seek medical attention for it. Instead I splinted it for about 6 weeks and it healed mostly. The finger is usable and just locks occasionally. My second mallet finger occurred about 2 or 3 months ago and was to my pinkie finger on my right hand. I was pushing clothes into a laundry bag that was next to the bed headboard. I pushed my pinkie directly into the bed post (wooden about 4x4 inches) and heard a loud pop and immediate pain. The tip of my pinkie was at about a 120 degree angle. The entire finger swelled and was extremely sore. I sought medical attention after a couple of days and learned that I had ruptured my ligament and fortunately did not show any fractures. I was given a splint that I wore for 6 weeks. This finger has not healed well and will probably require surgery to correct it. As of now this finger is only 50 percent usable.

Comment from: S in MN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I jammed my pinkie finger into our bedpost while putting laundry bag. This resulted in rupturing the ligament and being in a splint for 6 weeks. Some improvement has occurred, but I still have deformity in the tip of the pinkie finger and little or no mobility of the tip. I suspect that I will need surgery to repair the ligament attachment to the joint. This has surprisingly been a very debilitating injury as I am right handed and injured my right pinkie.

Comment from: Older Lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I bought a new mattress, one of those 20 inch thick types, but I had my old sheets that fit only a 15 inch mattress. While pulling on the last corner, I heard a pop, pulled out my hand and saw a weird looking ring finger. It was bent sideways and the tip hung lifeless. I thought this can't be good. I saw the doctor three days later. He said if I wore the splint for six weeks, it would be fine. After six weeks the fingertip still looked the same. The doctor said to wear it another two weeks. After 8 weeks it still looked the same. Now the next step is to have it pinned for another 8 weeks and the doctor says there is no guarantee it will be straight. He told me, I only have a three month window to try and fix the problem and it's getting awful close, wish me luck. I will relay my progress after the pinning operation. Also, I will need physical therapy on the injured knuckle. Moral, don't try and save money by using old sheets on a new mattress. Figure it'll cost me nearly USD 7,000 before it's all said and done! New sheets were cheaper.

Comment from: bookbert, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

The shopping cart at the garden center had a collapsible top shelf. I had to lift it up and then it folded down. It came down before I expected and pinched the top of my finger between the shelf and the frame. After the initial smash the finger did not really hurt much but I noticed I couldn't straighten it. Now I am in a splint for at least 6 weeks and seeing a hand specialist for the mallet finger because I am a piano player.

Comment from: capemama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I was playing volleyball and received a hard serve in an attempt to set the ball. It felt a little different from a regular jammed finger. It got very tight right away. I continued to play, attempting to protect it, then splinted it to another finger during a break and iced it after the game. Regular primary care doctor didn't think it was broken or that tendon was damaged, but sent me for x-rays just in case. Then he just had me wear a generic finger splint. Three weeks later I felt no improvement and went to an orthopedist. He gave me a stacked splint and sent me to a hand specialist. My mistake was not going right away to a hand specialist. He had a custom splint made for mallet finger so that I could bend the healthy joints so with the new splint I am back at square 1, but finally feel on the right track. Keeping the other fingers crossed!

Comment from: Doc, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

My mallet finger was caused by a dog bite (not one of my dogs) and I am experiencing very acute pain after having it splinted by a hand surgeon today. The uppermost joint was fractured and the dog bite occurred 3 weeks ago.

Must Read Articles Related to Mallet Finger

Broken Finger
Broken Finger A broken finger may have symptoms of sharp pain, limited motion, swelling, and bruising. Diagnosis of a broken finger is generally through X-rays. Treatment of ...learn more >>
Broken Hand
Broken Hand Broken hand (fractures) are caused by trauma to the hand, crush injuries, falls, sports injuries, improper use of tools, and workplace injuries. Broken hand is ...learn more >>
Finger Injuries
Finger Injuries Finger injuries can vary from small cuts, lacerations, puncture wounds, broken bones, dislocations, sprains, strains, nerve injuries, jammed fingers, and animal...learn more >>