Viewer Comments: Mallet Finger - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mallet Finger:

Mallet Finger - Causes

What was the cause of your mallet finger?

Comment from: KLMEsq, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I saw a bug in my bathroom, and while in abject terror, I grabbed a shoe and slammed it down twice to kill it. After reading all of these stories I'm worried that I broke a fragment of bone. There was no real pain until the next day. If I had just used bug spray! I don't have insurance so I can't just go to the doctor. I have to splint it and pray it heals.

Comment from: Diamo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I was pushing off my boot and sock with my hand when I heard a pop and got a sharp pain (which wasn't too bad really). I went to hospital and had an X-ray. It seemed fine as far as the bones were concerned. I was given a splint and I kept the splint on for eight weeks but the finger still droops. After weeks of wearing this, it's disappointing it's still drooping, but I believe there are other splints which may be better.

Comment from: dmm63, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I fell down 14 slippery stairs.

Comment from: Ouch, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

A drill cord wrapped around my hand and the drill would not shut off! As the cord stopped tightening around my hand and fingers I heard a light pop! Didn't hurt any worse than over squeezing a finger but the end would not straighten! Just had a pin shoved in the end of the two bones!! Repair hurts way worse than the injury!!! 6 to 8 weeks to heal.

Comment from: T, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I got my mallet finger taking my socks off! I mean really!? Taking my socks off? I couldn't believe it. It was even more bothersome to hear that it will take more than eight weeks to heal. I would almost rather they just amputate the thing.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

Middle finger was damaged jumping over a steel chain link fence. 17 sutures were required around the fingerpad and DIP joint. The mallet condition became evident a few weeks after the injury.

Comment from: A. Maryland, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I put all my body's weight on fingers grasping a towel while cleaning a coffee spill in crevice of car seat.

Comment from: sandladyvb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

Rollerblading accident. I fractured my finger.

Comment from: Bradshaw, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 19

I was putting on a backpack -- a heavy one as I'm an army cadet. I swung it around my shoulder and my finger got caught behind the strap. I heard a popping noise, but still continued on. It wasn't until I looked at my finger that I realized I could not straighten it and went to seek medical attention. I have made a splint and this is my fourth week after it happened. It's getting straighter and I have no pain, but I still can't straighten it. Hopefully it turns out alright.

Comment from: saf, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I was drying dishes and a frying pan slipped, knocking my little finger. The finger was still straight at this point, although a little bit sore. I went to have a shower and felt something move inside the finger. When I looked at the finger, the top part of it had bent forward and I could not straighten it.

Comment from: dawgpound, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

Im a nurse and while working a patient punched my open hand and i heard a popping sound. When i left the room i noticed the tip of my finger would not go up. After seeing a hand specialist they said no surgery but I had to wear a special brace for 7-8 weeks. Its been about 6 weeks and my finger is still swollen and sore. The worse part is the brace is causing my skin to break down pretty bad. The best thing to do is line your brace with some kind of paper towel or toilet paper and change it often. Hopefully I sget this thing off soon...

Must Read Articles Related to Mallet Finger

Broken Finger
Broken Finger A broken finger may have symptoms of sharp pain, limited motion, swelling, and bruising. Diagnosis of a broken finger is generally through X-rays. Treatment of ...learn more >>
Broken Hand
Broken Hand Broken hand (fractures) are caused by trauma to the hand, crush injuries, falls, sports injuries, improper use of tools, and workplace injuries. Broken hand is ...learn more >>
Finger Injuries
Finger Injuries Finger injuries can vary from small cuts, lacerations, puncture wounds, broken bones, dislocations, sprains, strains, nerve injuries, jammed fingers, and animal...learn more >>