Viewer Comments: Meniere Disease - Symptoms and Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Meniere Disease:

Meniere Disease - Symptoms and Treatments

Please describe your symptoms and effective treatment for meniere disease.

Comment from: long term sufferer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I have suffered from Meniere's for 10 years. The vertigo was sporadic, but the pressure in my ear and the tinnitus was constant. I was told to learn to live with it. A few weeks ago it got worse, and I could tell a major attack was coming on. In desperation I looked for an acupuncturist, and amazingly enough, this has worked for me. The attack was thwarted, the pressure in my ear is gone, the tinnitus is starting to subside, and I am clear headed for the first time in 10 years. Totally amazing. Of course, it is not as simple as that entirely. My acupuncture doctor (he is an MD as well) says I need to follow up with lifestyle changes towards stress management, and so I am signed up for a Tai Chi class as well. The combination is working very well for me, and is something like a miracle as far as I am concerned. I was miserable for 10 years, and the relief has been so sudden and profound...can't guarantee it will work for everyone, but it might be worth a try!

Comment from: Audrey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I've had tinnitus for about 50 years. Vertigo started about 10 years ago and I am now on my third time. The vertigo lasts several weeks. The only thing that even helps is an herbal prescription (yes, an herbal that requires a prescription) called VERTIGOHEEL. You dissolve one pill under the tongue 3x daily. Few drug stores carry it, but it can be ordered or purchased online. It is important for me to tell you that this not a cure and might not help you, but for me, it reduces symptoms. The head rotation positioning also helps.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 21

My mother's doctor had her cut out all caffeine products (coffee, tea, chocolate). Although she was a big coffee drinker she switched to decaffeinated coffee and herbal teas and cut out her most beloved chocolate. This treatment absolutely worked for her.

Comment from: Peter, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

My Meniere's started with vertigo and nausea that went away for a while, but about one to two months later, the tinnitus started again, and for the last four months has not stopped. It's mostly in the left ear but also a bit in the right and more or less at the same pitch, but it fluctuates just slightly. The ENT specialist said I just have to accept it. Coming to terms with it has been tough, but I think it's slowly getting easier to accept. Day-time is manageable, lately I've often forgotten it's there, but night-time can be rough at times. Melatonin usually helps me get to sleep a bit easier. The vertigo is not as severe as it was right at the beginning, but it is still unsettling, especially when out in public. I've found I've started getting some mood swings too, which I think are likely from pent up frustration with the tinnitus. But I'm trying to just enjoy life and take pleasure in some of the simple things that I would have taken for granted before or never appreciated as much. Walks outside, a game of golf, gardening … just the simple company of friends, video games, etc. I think a positive outlook goes a long way in being able to deal with this sometimes debilitating condition. I wish all fellow sufferers the best of luck in dealing with it.

Comment from: mo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I had a minor operation 3 years ago and came around from the anesthetic with a full blown Meniere's attack. It was a good four weeks before I could get on my feet without getting sick, and after repeated visits to the doctor, I found on the Internet that American doctors treat the symptoms with antidepressants. Since I found this out, I have been on Prozac for three years, and I must admit that it has changed my life.

Comment from: Tomkat, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I don't have a diagnosis, but the ringing of the ears, started a few months ago. I have had issues in the mornings where my eyes don't really focus right for a while after getting up and generally feeling off balance for a while as well. Just last week I had an episode where I was squatting down at work and stood up and all heck broke loose. The whole place started spinning back and forth in a circle so bad I almost fell over. After a few minutes it went away. I went home and then to the doctor. My lipase level was out of this world and scared the doctors(1485) and then came back down. I am waiting for more test results as they think it might be my gall bladder or pancreas. They gave me something for vertigo, but I had another less strong episode a month ago doing the same movement and now this happens....Hmmmmm.

Comment from: msmistya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was diagnosed with Meniere's about five years ago. I have awful vertigo and ringing in my ears, but no nausea. My doctor prescribed meclizine, which helps. I started taking a multivitamin a few months back and have seen major improvements in the vertigo. I was dizzy daily before, now I still have the "sensation" but not the overwhelming, dropped-to-my-knees attacks like before. I don't know if taking the vitamins helped or if it's my imagination, but I can tell a difference when I don't take them. The vertigo gets worse.

Must Read Articles Related to Meniere Disease

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery compl...learn more >>
Labyrinthitis
Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>
Tinnitus
Tinnitus Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) is a cause for hearing loss. Tinnitus also can be caused by ear infections, exposure to loud noises, Meniere's disease, medicatio...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Meniere Disease:

Meniere's Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Meniere's disease.

Meniere Disease - Treatment

What was the treatment for your meniere disease?