Viewer Comments: Meniere Disease - Symptoms and Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Meniere Disease:

Meniere Disease - Symptoms and Treatments

Please describe your symptoms and effective treatment for meniere disease.

Comment from: cwin77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have just been diagnosed with Meniere's. My ear problems started about a year ago. I'm dizzy a lot, always in pain from the ear pressure, and I hear ringing. It's stressful and I have to have quiet around me because loud noise actually hurts. I still work full time, but stopped going to church as much. I'm afraid I'll end up a hermit.

Comment from: kamal, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 29

This is the story of successful recovery of a Meniere's patient. She had episodes of vertigo from 13 to 14 years before, initially 1 to 2 episodes in 2 to 3 years. Frequency of episodes increased in March 2005. Vertigo with vomiting lasted for 20 minutes. With repeated head movement and bending gradually tinnitus appeared. Doctors suggested audiometric and other investigations. This situation remained unchanged for last 9 years. They concluded it as incurable Meniere's disease. Initially the patient was on Vertin (betahistine) 8 mg to 24 mg 1 to 3 times daily, and Stugeron and Alprax occasionally; besides homeopathy and other treatments, none of which worked. This problem is due to the accumulation of fluid in inner ear. It was observed that during glycerol audiometry the problem was reduced. So to reduce the extra fluid osmotic diuretics were given. This reduced the problem to a great extent but its taste and feeling after the dose was not very agreeable. Therefore its herbal substitute was selected. One of best herbal diuretics is dandelion. It is available as homeopathic medicine. There has been no episode of vertigo since the first dose of diuretic was given.

Comment from: long term sufferer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I have suffered from Meniere's for 10 years. The vertigo was sporadic, but the pressure in my ear and the tinnitus was constant. I was told to learn to live with it. A few weeks ago it got worse, and I could tell a major attack was coming on. In desperation I looked for an acupuncturist, and amazingly enough, this has worked for me. The attack was thwarted, the pressure in my ear is gone, the tinnitus is starting to subside, and I am clear headed for the first time in 10 years. Totally amazing. Of course, it is not as simple as that entirely. My acupuncture doctor (he is an MD as well) says I need to follow up with lifestyle changes towards stress management, and so I am signed up for a Tai Chi class as well. The combination is working very well for me, and is something like a miracle as far as I am concerned. I was miserable for 10 years, and the relief has been so sudden and profound...can't guarantee it will work for everyone, but it might be worth a try!

Comment from: Audrey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I've had tinnitus for about 50 years. Vertigo started about 10 years ago and I am now on my third time. The vertigo lasts several weeks. The only thing that even helps is an herbal prescription (yes, an herbal that requires a prescription) called VERTIGOHEEL. You dissolve one pill under the tongue 3x daily. Few drug stores carry it, but it can be ordered or purchased online. It is important for me to tell you that this not a cure and might not help you, but for me, it reduces symptoms. The head rotation positioning also helps.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 21

My mother's doctor had her cut out all caffeine products (coffee, tea, chocolate). Although she was a big coffee drinker she switched to decaffeinated coffee and herbal teas and cut out her most beloved chocolate. This treatment absolutely worked for her.

Comment from: Peter, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

My Meniere's started with vertigo and nausea that went away for a while, but about one to two months later, the tinnitus started again, and for the last four months has not stopped. It's mostly in the left ear but also a bit in the right and more or less at the same pitch, but it fluctuates just slightly. The ENT specialist said I just have to accept it. Coming to terms with it has been tough, but I think it's slowly getting easier to accept. Day-time is manageable, lately I've often forgotten it's there, but night-time can be rough at times. Melatonin usually helps me get to sleep a bit easier. The vertigo is not as severe as it was right at the beginning, but it is still unsettling, especially when out in public. I've found I've started getting some mood swings too, which I think are likely from pent up frustration with the tinnitus. But I'm trying to just enjoy life and take pleasure in some of the simple things that I would have taken for granted before or never appreciated as much. Walks outside, a game of golf, gardening … just the simple company of friends, video games, etc. I think a positive outlook goes a long way in being able to deal with this sometimes debilitating condition. I wish all fellow sufferers the best of luck in dealing with it.

Comment from: david, Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I have ringing in my left ear, and from time to time get very sick and dizzy. I had a brain scan thinking I might have a brain tumor, but turned out to be Meniere's disease. I think gambling losses set it off as I always suffer when I am broke, never when I am winning. The brain is a strange thing, maybe depression sets it off. I decided to give up gambling to see if that works. Good luck to all suffers, it is awful when you feel sick and dizzy.

Must Read Articles Related to Meniere Disease

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>
Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears)
Tinnitus Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) is a cause for hearing loss...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Meniere Disease:

Meniere's Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Meniere's disease.

Meniere Disease - Treatment

What was the treatment for your meniere disease?