Viewer Comments: Meniere's Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Meniere Disease:

Meniere's Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Meniere's disease.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 26

I am a 58 year old female and about two years ago, started with the right ear affected as fullness, ringing, noisy. The dizziness set in and then to a point of sensation of things spinning. It went away then came back, but only with the right ear having hearing loss. I had CT scans, MRIs. The only thing to save you from the attacks/dizziness is an over the counter now; product called Bovine (meclizine 25 mg) similar to Dramamine but not the same! I have been saved from having any issues with Meniere's or symptoms, as when I feel some uneasiness or dizziness, I take one tablet and I have no further issue until on down the road.

Comment from: Bad ear, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I was feeling great in the a.m. And did my regular walk and exercise routine. As I got ready to go out to a dinner function my head was very fuzzy and my ears were ringing more than usual. My left ear also felt plugged and earlier that day I was having worse hearing issues than my usual. At the start of my dinner function I knew I had to return home and the onset was severe. I could hardly stand up. I went right to bed and still could not move my head without the whole room spinning and feeling severely noxious. Lying very still with covers over my eyes is the only thing to help. It began to disappear after about 6 hours and you really feel zapped of energy. I also had this about two months ago and before 2 years ago. Unfortunately I have been to many ENTs regarding my hearing loss in left ear. They don't know why I have it and they can't fix it.

Comment from: Phylly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had dizzy spells, nausea and sweating.

Comment from: IJ, Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I have Meniere's disease and I have a constant ringing in my ears. I sometimes have a loss of balance and dizziness with infrequent blurring of eyes.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

At age 34 i after a Cesarean birth of my daughter i started to suffer vertigo. Postpartum depression was blamed. After not subsiding I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease. This went on and off for numerous years. My attacks would be so bad I would fall without warning. Drop attacks, I would spend days in bed not being able to move. My last drop attack was 10 years ago and ended up falling face first on a concrete pavement. After spending weeks in hospital I felt deafness severely in the left ear. Since then i have had no more severe attacks. I am now 55 years lost significant hear loss, but i am happy that i can finally live my life again. Meniere's is not a nice illness and hard for doctors to diagnose.

Comment from: roadrambler, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 31

My experience with Meniere's disease was and still is a very slow and trying process. In the beginning I simple started having trouble hearing. Really no surprise there since there is deafness all in my mom's family but by the time I get into my 40's it has become profound and speech perception has really become a problem.

Comment from: alice, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I notice a strong loss of hearing sometimes for a s long as 2 days. The ringing is intense and it changes when I clench my teeth. I have it in my right ear all the time but this is now in my left ear.

Comment from: crystalw, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I had my first bout with this disease 5 years ago. Doctors were at first baffled to figure out why I was having disabling dizziness and nausea but finally we found something that helped. They gave me exercises to do many times a day with the aid of someone to make sure I could be steady to do them. The exercises helped to stabilize the crystals in my middle ear.

Comment from: Leah, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I have experienced Meniere Disease for the past 14 years, as a direct result of a fall and a head injury. At times I am deaf in my right ear, but that has subsided, at least for the time being. I also have vertigo, which ranges from severe attacks where I cannot even crawl to the bathroom to no symptoms at all. This week I have had a very mild attack where I fell twice while trying to get up off the couch. Sleeping in a dark room seems to help me most and I take two vitamins (Lipogen two capsules twice daily; Niacin 50 mg twice daily) and an old formula which has to be compounded at a compounding pharmacy called "Histamine Diphos" 1-10,000 ML, 2 drops under the tongue twice daily. These were prescribed by the ear specialist I see and seem to help some. My last vertigo attack 18 months ago was extremely severe, so I'm grateful that life has been almost vertigo free until yesterday, although the ringing, buzzing, sometimes roaring in my ears seems to be with me until my life is over.

Must Read Articles Related to Meniere Disease

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>
Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears)
Tinnitus Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) is a cause for hearing loss...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Meniere Disease:

Meniere Disease - Symptoms and Treatments

Please describe your symptoms and effective treatment for meniere disease.

Meniere Disease - Treatment

What was the treatment for your meniere disease?