Viewer Comments: Meniere's Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Meniere Disease:

Meniere's Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Meniere's disease.

Comment from: Phylly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had dizzy spells, nausea and sweating.

Comment from: IJ, Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I have Meniere's disease and I have a constant ringing in my ears. I sometimes have a loss of balance and dizziness with infrequent blurring of eyes.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

At age 34 i after a Cesarean birth of my daughter i started to suffer vertigo. Postpartum depression was blamed. After not subsiding I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease. This went on and off for numerous years. My attacks would be so bad I would fall without warning. Drop attacks, I would spend days in bed not being able to move. My last drop attack was 10 years ago and ended up falling face first on a concrete pavement. After spending weeks in hospital I felt deafness severely in the left ear. Since then i have had no more severe attacks. I am now 55 years lost significant hear loss, but i am happy that i can finally live my life again. Meniere's is not a nice illness and hard for doctors to diagnose.

Comment from: roadrambler, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 31

My experience with Meniere's disease was and still is a very slow and trying process. In the beginning I simple started having trouble hearing. Really no surprise there since there is deafness all in my mom's family but by the time I get into my 40's it has become profound and speech perception has really become a problem.

Comment from: alice, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I notice a strong loss of hearing sometimes for a s long as 2 days. The ringing is intense and it changes when I clench my teeth. I have it in my right ear all the time but this is now in my left ear.

Comment from: crystalw, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I had my first bout with this disease 5 years ago. Doctors were at first baffled to figure out why I was having disabling dizziness and nausea but finally we found something that helped. They gave me exercises to do many times a day with the aid of someone to make sure I could be steady to do them. The exercises helped to stabilize the crystals in my middle ear.

Comment from: Leah, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I have experienced Meniere Disease for the past 14 years, as a direct result of a fall and a head injury. At times I am deaf in my right ear, but that has subsided, at least for the time being. I also have vertigo, which ranges from severe attacks where I cannot even crawl to the bathroom to no symptoms at all. This week I have had a very mild attack where I fell twice while trying to get up off the couch. Sleeping in a dark room seems to help me most and I take two vitamins (Lipogen two capsules twice daily; Niacin 50 mg twice daily) and an old formula which has to be compounded at a compounding pharmacy called "Histamine Diphos" 1-10,000 ML, 2 drops under the tongue twice daily. These were prescribed by the ear specialist I see and seem to help some. My last vertigo attack 18 months ago was extremely severe, so I'm grateful that life has been almost vertigo free until yesterday, although the ringing, buzzing, sometimes roaring in my ears seems to be with me until my life is over.

Related Reading: Niacin

Comment from: jo6161, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I've had short dizzy spells for about 6 years. Recently it has got much worse in the fact that I have to lie perfectly still and feel unable to talk or walk because thing are spinning around me. It is the most horrendous feeling. The last two episodes lasted for hours and I was physically sick. I'm usually alone when these attacks occur but recently a friend was with me and she was horrified, she said my eyes move about very rapidly and she said it looks like I'm drunk as I'm unable to get my balance. I must also say that I have very poor hearing and have worn two hearing aids for the past two years during an attack I have no hearing at all. I have been under the doctor for ear problems for the past 17 years and have never had a diagnosis for my problem. Tomorrow I am having an mri scan so hopefully I will get some better treatment. I'm fearful of the next attack and seem to be very unsociable refusing to go out. My only worry is that there is no cure. I don't think I could live with it for the rest of my life. I'm female and 56 years old.

Must Read Articles Related to Meniere Disease

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery compl...learn more >>
Labyrinthitis
Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>
Tinnitus
Tinnitus Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) is a cause for hearing loss. Tinnitus also can be caused by ear infections, exposure to loud noises, Meniere's disease, medicatio...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Meniere Disease:

Meniere Disease - Symptoms and Treatments

Please describe your symptoms and effective treatment for meniere disease.

Meniere Disease - Treatment

What was the treatment for your meniere disease?