Viewer Comments: Meningitis in Adults - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Meningitis in Adults:

Meningitis in Adults - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with meningitis?

Comment from: pugmom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

Severe headache, nausea and vomiting, photophobia, fever, and chills.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had an extreme headache and a stiff neck. Also had an ear infection and was on antibiotics for that. I was taking a drug that suppressed my immune system. I was found by son unconscious and I had thrown up and from what I was told, I had a couple seizures. I do not remember anything for the first two to three weeks after that.

Comment from: Nannah02, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

My symptoms started out like the flu. On Sunday the skin on the back of my thighs started to hurt if I touched it and I had a headache. Monday I went to work and gradually started to feel worse with body aches , headache , dizziness , chills, pain in my neck and when I would walk I had pain in my spine. Tuesday I woke up with a migraine headache and upset stomach. I still tried to shower and get ready for work, but I was feeling very weak and tired with all the same symptoms I had on Monday. My migraine kept getting worse and several times I felt like throwing up. My friend took me to a walk-in clinic and I told the doctor my symptoms. They tested me for the flu and it came back negative. She then suspected spinal meningitis because of the pain in my neck and lower back. I could not touch my chin to my chest without it hurting my neck. I was then sent to the ER, where they did a CT scan and it came back fine so they did the lumbar exam and it came back positive for viral . They gave me two IV bags of two different kinds of strong antibiotics and gave me the choice of either being admitted or going home. I chose to go home so they prescribed a pain medication and steroids.

Comment from: Readytogohome, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I started off with symptoms of a cold which passed in a day. The next morning I had severe diarrhea and that evening came down with a brutal headache. I never get headaches so I took Ibuprofen. It helped some, but I woke up the next morning with severe pain in my head and neck. Like a stubborn fool I tried to work and had to leave early. By noon my head was really throbbing. I went to pharmacist who gave me Tylenol for migraines. I went home and laid in dark. Nausea came next and pain was getting severe. I ended up driving to ER where my head hurt so bad I wanted to crack it open.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

For a few days I had what I thought was a cold. I got weaker by the day and wanted to do nothing but sleep. I developed an earache and my husband took me to urgent care. I had a temperature of 102; a right ear infection, nausea, and headache. The doctor checked for neck stiffness and at that time I had none. I was sent home with ear drops and antibiotics. I awoke the next morning with really bad neck stiffness, headache, bleeding ear and horrible nausea. I couldn't raise my head. My husband checked on me a few hours after medication and found me with my eyes open but unresponsive. The local hospital was unable to get a spinal tap on me, but a doctor suspected bacterial meningitis, contacted UVA medical center and IV antibiotics were started at that time. I was airlifted to UVA. I woke up 11 days later in a hospital not knowing how I had gotten there. I had to go through some rehabilitation and was sent home with PICC line and 30 days of two very strong antibiotics.

Comment from: Rosebud, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I thought I had the flu, but as the days went on my condition became worse. I was so sore all over. The pain in my neck became unbearable. It hurt to walk. Then came the migraine headaches. It became so unbearable I finally had my friend bring me to hospital. They took me in right away and the doctor on call said, “ I think you may have meningitis and we need to do a spinal tap right away. “ By this time I was vomiting because the pain was so bad. I was terrified as I had a young daughter and was worried if it was contagious. The spinal tap determined that I did have meningitis but there was nothing they could give me as at the time there was no medicine or antibiotic.

Comment from: TiredInTexas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I started out thinking I had a cold, so took cold medications. They would lower my fever and at times my fever would break. I thought I was finally over this and went on my way. About a week later I again got sick and started taking cold medicines again. I never could get my fever to break, had dry heaves most of the time. I wanted to sleep all the time. I had headaches and my neck was bothering me. I thought I was sleeping a lot due to be being sick and my body needed the rest. I thought my headaches were due to the "cold" and my neck was due to me needing an adjustment. I was still trying to make it work, but did miss some days. I finally felt so bad I went to the Urgent Care in the hospital. By the time I saw a doctor my fever was 103. As it turned out, they took me to the ER where the doctor did a spinal tap and CT scan. The scan showed I had a severe sinus infection, and the tap showed I had meningitis. It was later told to me that I had bacterial meningitis. I was in the hospital for a week.

Must Read Articles Related to Meningitis in Adults

Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>
Flu in Adults
Flu in Adults Flu (influenza) is an acute infection of the nose and throat airways. This infection may spread to the lungs. Flu is the most frequent cause of acute respirator...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>