Viewer Comments: Meningitis in Adults - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Meningitis in Adults:

Meningitis in Adults - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with meningitis?

Comment from: nikki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

When I had meningitis, I had back, neck pain with migraine headaches and a fever.

Comment from: acarter2149, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had extreme sensitivity to light, sounds, an extremely painful headache. I have stiffness in my neck and back.

Comment from: Sailvicariouskat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I was 25 in Atlanta, in 1993, a waitress and one say about 1/2 way through the dinner shift my legs started aching, then hurting so vastly I had to go home. The next day I felt like I had the flu and then felt better enough to have dinner. I went to bed fully expecting to feel better and woke with a horrible migraine. I called my mom and for some reason she took it very seriously and called our family doctor who was out of town but the doctor on call happened to be an expert in spinal meningitis! She took one look and tested for neck stiffness and then prepped me for a spinal tap in her office. The protein count was just high enough to not rule out bacterial, but I had no insurance so my mom set up a nurse to come to her house to administer antibiotics. I was in pain everywhere. I dry heaved for two weeks straight. I hallucinated, went to the ER for respiratory depression. I had to have blankets nailed over the windows. I was writhing in pain for a full month. I know if I had been in a hospital I would have died. My mom slept in the room with me. Having constant human contact kept me alive. I was in bed for a month and a half. I still have severe photosensitivity, but of the two other people who got it the same week as me. One lost a hand; another, a foot.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I had what I thought was the flu all week long, but it wasn't bad enough to keep me from working. I had the usual symptoms such as aches, sweats, chills, fatigue. Then I got an earache and blood oozed from that ear. Later that night I had the worst headache of my life, then I started throwing up. The next day I didn't get up so my wife let me sleep because I hadn't been feeling well. She checked on me at about 4pm and I had my eyes open but would not respond. So the call went out to 911. I was in the ICU for four days on a respirator, and seven more days on the regular floor. I went home with three more days of IV antibiotics, then about 45 days of two different antibiotics by mouth.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

My symptoms of Viral Meningitis were: Numbness in both arms and legs, and numbness in my mouth. I've never had severe headaches or ever been diagnosed with migraines. However, with the meningitis I had severe headaches, couldn't stand light or sound. The numbness and headaches were the first symptoms and the vomiting came last. I spent 7 days in the hospital for the viral meningitis.

Comment from: Phoenix, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

At first I thought it was strep throat. Then when that came back negative we thought it maybe mono. When that test came back negative it was advised that if the headache was getting worse even with strong pain medication, to go to an emergency room ASAP. After being seen and tested viral meningitis was the cause. The main symptoms were like that of the flu, minus the sinus congestion. Being weak and very tired was a big sign, then progressively experiencing the worst headache of my life was a sure give away. Some soreness and stiff neck, but the headache and malaise were the giveaways. This has been an experience that I will never forget and never want to experience again. Recovery took about 60 days and a year later I still have some damage that is still repairing.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My father in law is currently hospitalized with bacterial meningitis. Symptoms started less than 24 hours after a surgical procedure and use of spinal anesthesia. Symptoms were profuse vomiting, fever, severe shaking, confusion, and extreme weakness. Neck stiffness occured after arrival at ER. He also became unconscious and remained that way for approx. 24-36 hours.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: May 31

My friend Julie's Daughter, Susan passed away 2month ago on March 16th. She was diagnosed having Bacterial Meningitis. She did not have any of the classic symptoms other than extreme back and leg pain. None one paid any attention to this on several trips to the hospital as back pain is considered normal for us. But it was not for my Susan and I am very disappointed in the system as it pushed us out the door and I lost my daughter. The Hospital each time we went with worsening of these symptoms dismissed us and send us home. Now I am home and Susan is not.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: March 09

An acquaintance, which happens to work for a local laboratory as a venupunctualist developed what she thought was a migraine. A Locum was called by her to her home and he sent her to the Hospital in Adelaide. The Doctor who examined her sent her home. She then went to a second hospital and was again sent home. She went back to the other Hospital the next day and finally they took her symptoms seriously and admitted her and diagnosed Viral Meningitis. She was placed in an induced coma and treated, and when stable went to a rehabilitation center to learn to walk again. They have told her she may develop Multiple Sclerosis because of the Meningitis.

Must Read Articles Related to Meningitis in Adults

Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>
Flu in Adults
Flu in Adults Flu (influenza) is an acute infection of the nose and throat airways. This infection may spread to the lungs. Flu is the most frequent cause of acute respirator...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>