Viewer Comments: Meningitis in Children - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Meningitis in Children:

Meningitis in Children - Symptoms

What symptoms did your child experience with meningitis?

Comment from: Calvin, Male (Caregiver) Published: November 03

The severe headaches began 3 week ago in a 10 year old active, healthy boy. He was not given any course of treatment rather than Tylenol and Motrin, with the exception of the first hospital visit. He has been hospitalized 3 times now in three weeks and last night the headaches were just as bad as they were in the beginning. We called his Dr. Yesterday and they prescribed Lora tab for him to take for the pain. I'm just afraid they are missing something. They did a CAT scan, spinal tap, and MRI. Please help!

Comment from: bradcore, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 04

My nephew, 15, had a bad headache and fever. It got so bad my sister took him to the hospital. They suspected meningitis, did a spinal tap and an MRI. The MRI also showed a brain aneurysm. He has been in the hospital for over two weeks now in ICU fighting for his life. They have operated on the aneurysm, but the meningitis isn't getting any better. He has had the horrible headache for 20 days now with no relief from meds. She had called the paramedics before taking him to the hospital, and they told her he only had the flu. It's a good thing she trusted her mom instincts and took him to ER anyway. He would be dead if she had listened to them.

Comment from: prasad, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 27

My niece has a high fever and cough. The doctor suspected meningitis and sent for a culture test. He started treating the child but she became very sick due to a change in sodium level in her body. She started having seizures and it became critical. Once bacterial meningitis was ruled out, the doctor suspected meningitis and started for treating that. It turns out my niece had an infection in her brain.

Comment from: tiffany, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 09

My daughter came home from school on Friday and said she had a headache. An hour later, she began vomiting and shaking. She said her neck and head and stomach hurt badly, but she didn't have a fever, which was what sounded alarms for me. It seemed she had no reason to feel this way. I got her dressed to take her to the ER, and she became so ill so quickly, we almost had to call an ambulance because I couldn't get out of the driveway with her vomiting so violently in the front seat. We got her to the ER and she quickly took priority over everyone waiting to be seen. It took about four hours for doctors to confirm that she had meningitis. So far, she's been in the hospital for four days in negative pressure isolation, and we're still battling this. This is one of the deadliest things I've ever seen and you wouldn't believe how fast it happens. She was walking and talking and happy and within an hour, she rapidly declined to deathly ill. Please! PLEASE! If you suspect your child is sick with any of these symptoms, DON'T WAIT! Take them to the hospital ASAP. If I had waited another hour, I would have lost my baby girl.

Comment from: denise, 55-64 Male Published: August 15

My brother was 15 months old in 1956. My mother remembers a high fever of 104 degrees. The doctor told her to put him in a tepid bath and watch him overnight. By morning he became more lethargic at which time she took him to the ER. He was hospitalized for two weeks. He was left brain damaged.

Comment from: Merry, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 31

My daughter has meningitis and she has a severe headache and she's vomiting. She's sleeping so much I can't get her to stay awake for more than a few minutes.

Comment from: concerned mom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 24

When my child got meningitis, she had a terrible headache, a stiff neck, a fever, decreased appetite, and she was very irritable.

Comment from: mommyofthree, 13-18 Male Published: April 11

My son started with a headache. It felt like he had a fever but he didn't. Within 12 hours, he had a horrible headache along with fever and vomiting. We were treating the fever at the same time as the headache and I just thought it was the flu. I happened to talk to the school nurse and she suggested to see if he could touch his chin to his chest. He tried, but his neck was very sore. I called his doctor who sent us straight to the ER where he was diagnosed with meningitis.

Must Read Articles Related to Meningitis in Children

Brain Infection
Brain Infection Our brain, the spinal cord, and its surrounding structures could become infected by a large spectrum of germs (that is, microorganisms). Bacteria and viruses ar...learn more >>
Immunization Schedule, Children
Immunization Schedule, Children Vaccinations are some of the most important tools available for preventing disease. Most children get all their shots during childhood. Parents should consult t...learn more >>