Viewer Comments: Menopause - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Menopause:

Menopause - Symptoms

What symptoms have you experienced with menopause?

...
Comment from: gdb, 55-64 Female Published: August 02

I certainly wish I could say that menopause is a breeze. It's been anything but, for me. Severe hot flashes began at age 51. They begin at my feet and go up to my head. I feel faint with each one. I hear people talking in the distance first, and then the flash begins. I have them every second week. I'm 55 now. It is still the same. I can have 20 or thirty a day for 3-4 days every second week. Then I get severe anxiety for the remainder of the week. I have severe insomnia, chronic diarrhea, very tender, achy muscles. I have tried everything from synthetic hormones, bio-identical hormones, diet change, and have read whatever I can get my hands on. No success. Oh ya, I also tried acupuncture. Nothing helps. I can honestly say, it's been the worse four years of my life.

Comment from: NULL, Published: August 02

I am only 35 and I had to have a hysterectomy due to an illness and now I am feeling as if I have no energy to do anything. I am always crabby and I can't seem to get interested in having sex at all. I pray that I can get some kind of treatment to help me get through this. I am still too young to feel this worn out.

Comment from: Trish19841, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I have hot flashes more at night. It starts in the evening. I hope this doesn't go on too long!

Comment from: sex yuck, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I am 49. I been getting horrible hot flashes for 4-5 years and hate -- I mean hate sex! My husband dose not believe hating sex can be because of menopause.

Comment from: cntrygrl55, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I Started menopause at 42. I lost 30 pounds within the last 2 years. When I started losing weight I started menopause all over again, after thinking I was done with it 13 years ago! I had night sweats, hot flashes, anxiety, panic attacks, and insomnia.

Comment from: Rachel 5, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I am waking up very occasionally with night heat flashes. I have a burning sensation all over and I have increased weight gain.

Comment from: Redspyder, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I have no children and started the change at 34! I had one long, heavy flow, major cramp period, then DONE. No spotting at all. I just turned 45 and still have hot flashes all of the time. I am very emotional and I have ZERO energy. I can't sleep and have to use the bathroom 20 times a day. I am single and probably will be forever as I have no interest in sex at all. I also feel like my brain is mush and can't remember anything. Oh gee, can't wait for my "golden years!" I already feel like I'm 90!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I am 55. I have had enough of these night sweats and not sleeping. This has been going on for about 18 months. My poor husband!

Comment from: emma, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 02

I'm an active 58 year old, married, work full-time and have had all the menopausal systems you can think of. I've had severe headaches in the middle of the night, night sweats, and joint pain.

Comment from: Nathansmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

Turned 43 in July and had my last period then. I've never had a late period other than when I was pregnant. I do have hot flashes. Some days, they are on and off all day, then nothing for a week or two. I feel bad for my husband, as I have no interest in sex at all.

Comment from: had enough, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I'm 55yrs old and have been having menopause symptoms since I was 45. I started with the heart palpitation in the neck, then the cold chills at night. Now I have the hot flashes on and off all day. They do start at the bottom of my feet and work their way up to my head. I have a new symptom now insomnia. I'm tired at night and go to bed at a reasonable time. I lay there trying to sleep but it doesn't come. My doctor gave me a very low antidepressant to take. I hope this works.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Menopause

Breast Lumps and Pain
Breast Lumps and Pain Breast changes are common. From the time a girl begins to develop breasts and begins menstruating and throughout life, women may experience various kinds of bre...learn more >>
Female Sexual Problems
Female Sexual Problems Long considered a taboo subject, women's sexuality is now openly discussed and portrayed on television, in magazines, and on the internet. Symptoms of female se...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Menopause:

Menopause - Experience

Please describe your experience with menopause.

Menopause - Experience

Please share your experience with perimenopause, menopause, or postmenopause.

Menopause - Symptoms

What symptoms did/do you have with perimenopause, menopause, or postmenopause?

Menopause - Lifestyle Changes

What lifestyle changes have you made during perimenopause, menopause, or postmenopause that have helped ease the symptoms?

Menopause - Hormone Therapy

What hormone therapy combination therapies have you taken during perimenopause, menopause, or post menopause?