IN THIS ARTICLE
When the diagnosis of mesothelioma is confirmed, the tumor stage is determined in order to plan the optimal treatment. Mesothelioma is broadly staged into two categories: localized (the tumor is restricted to the membrane surface where it originated) and advanced (spread to neighboring structures and distant organs and tissues).
Localized mesothelioma is also called stage I mesothelioma.
Advanced mesothelioma can be further classified into the following stages:
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 9/9/2014
Winston W Tan, MD
Shehnaz Shaikh, MD
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Is a Clinical Trial Right for You?
- The Immune System's Role in Cancer
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication