Viewer Comments: Migraine Headache - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Migraine Headache:

Migraine Headache - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your migraine headache?

Comment from: lily825, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I suffered from migraines for years and it was almost a 50/50 chance whether or not the medicine I was taking would help me or not. Then I found a product called the Deka Titan (dekamed.com). It looks like a wrist watch but it is actually a pain reliever. It's a little pricey but ended up saving me money since I no longer pay for pain meds. The directions say that you should start wearing it as soon as you start to feel pain but I have been wearing mine everyday only taking it off to go to sleep and I haven't had a migraine in over 6 months. The company offers a 30 day money back guarantee and there are no side effects so I would recommend this to EVERYONE who suffers from migraines.

Comment from: flubber, Published: December 21

I suffered from frequent migraines, complete with nausea, for nearly 15 years. Around 2-4 times a month. Tried everything, thought nothing would help. Then tried Maxalt (rizatriptan)! (Similar to Imitrex). It really works - for me at least. If you haven't tried Imitrex or Maxalt, you really should. Only side effect is being slightly tired.

Related Reading: rizatriptan

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

After 20 years and what seemed like endless drug combinations, my doctor decided to try Imitrex. At first I was skeptical, at this point I had all but given up. To my surprise, it worked! It takes away all traces of the migraine with none of the side effects that I had experienced with other medications. While it is very pricey, I find that it is well worth it just to be able to have my life back. I would recommend that all migraine sufferers discuss Imitrex with their doctor.

Comment from: ken12cher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have been "dealing" with Migraines for over 30 years. Originally the doctors tried to medicate me with Fiorinal and Valium which left me unable to function properly so I stopped taking them and took BC Powders, Excedrin, Tylenol, and Advil not at the same time but each helped to dull the pain so that I could go on with daily life. Over the past few years my doctors have prescribed Inderal for daily use in hopes of minimizing the pain or frequency. This did not work but did slow down by ability to think, so I weaned myself off of the Inderal. Zomig helps but causes my joints to hurt and my scalp to be sensitive for about 12 hours. Axert works pretty well. I've recently been prescribed Topamax however I had to discontinue due to excessive headaches and nausea that were a side effect. So, I guess I'll stick with Advil, Tylenol and Axert.

Comment from: JulieM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I start feeling slow and then pain starts in the back of my head moves to my eyes and then my body starts to shake and then I either have to go lay down or go get sick.

Comment from: speakmom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I had eye pain along with pain in the back of the head and neck. I also experienced sensitivity to light and sounds.

Comment from: Kayren, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I have suffered from migraines for almost 20 years. My Doctor and I tried many drugs to relieve them over the years. Nothing worked until I tried Elavil 50mg as a migraine blocker five years ago! Before that I would have about 2-3 migraines a week, now I only have them about once every three months!

Comment from: t, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 13

I am a classic migraine sufferer. I have an aura of partial blindness and numbness in various parts of my body, before the headache begins. Normally the pain only lasts a day or two but the last two times they lasted three days each. The doctors have given me at least 25 different medications, none of them help. There has only been one thing that helps me, that is an aggressive neck adjustment from a good chiropractor.

Comment from: Latha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I am a 50-year-old working woman from India .I have been suffering from migraine headache from the past 10 years. I agree fully that physical and mental stress trigger and also worsen the problem. Lately almost all medications stopped working on my headache instead led to chronic migraine. I got tested for diabetes. Negative. Recently I found a solution to my problem. As a last resort I decided to lead a life of diabetic. Thank god no migraine attack from past two months.

Must Read Articles Related to Migraine Headache

Alternative and Complementary Approaches to Migraine and Cluster Headaches
CAM for Migraine and Cluster Headaches In the United States, alternative and complementary medicine is growing rapidly and includes treatment of many health conditions, including pain. In 2002, accor...learn more >>
Causes and Treatments of Migraine and Related Headaches
Causes and Treatments of Migraine Headaches Headaches are very common; in fact, almost everyone will have a headache at some point. Headaches have been written about since the time of the Babylonians. Mig...learn more >>
Migraine and Cluster Headache Medications
Migraine and Cluster Headache Medications Migraines are headaches that most likely stem from problems with blood vessels in the head. Migraine headaches typically last from 4-72 hours. They may happen a...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Migraine Headache:

Migraine Headache - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your migraine headache?

Migraine Headache - Cause

What caused your migraine headache?

Migraine Headache - Prognosis

What is your migraine headache prognosis?