Mild Headache (cont.)
Other Headache Types
Whether a headache is perceived as mild is often subjective. In addition to tension headaches, migraine headaches, and cluster headaches, there are other types of headaches commonly experienced. Some are mild, some may be more severe. These other headache types include:
- Sinus Headache: Pressure and fullness experienced in the front of the face, forehead, and behind the eyes caused by sinus inflammation or infection.
- Caffeine Headache: A withdrawal headache caused by stopping chronic use of caffeine.
- Cervicogenic Headache: This is like a tension headache and is caused by muscle spasm tightness that radiates from the neck. It may be associated with cervical (neck) disc disease.
- Stress Headache: Another form of tension headache. May result from stress from any cause.
- Spinal Headache: A headache that results from a spinal tap procedure (lumbar puncture). After the procedure, fluid may leak from the spinal column leading to worsening headache when standing.
- Exertion Headache: This is a headache that comes on after excessive physical exertion. It may be a combination of a tension headache and mild dehydration.
- Allergy Headache: Similar to a sinus headache, allergens in the environment irritate the nasal passages and sinus tissue and can cause headaches.
- Thunderclap Headache: This is a sudden-onset headache, often described as "the worst headache of your life." It may be caused by bleeding in or around the brain (aneurysm) and is very serious, and can be life-threatening. If you are having the worst headache of your life, especially if it is sudden in onset (like thunder hitting you), seek medical care immediately.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 6/24/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Mild Headache
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension, fear, or worry. Some fears and worries are justified, such as worry about a loved one. Anxiety may occur without a cause, ...learn more >>
CAM for Migraine and Cluster Headaches
In the United States, alternative and complementary medicine is growing rapidly and includes treatment of many health conditions, including pain. In 2002, accor...learn more >>
Causes and Treatments of Migraine Headaches
Headaches are very common; in fact, almost everyone will have a headache at some point. Headaches have been written about since the time of the Babylonians. Mig...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Headache (Mild):