Mild Headache (cont.)
When to Call the Doctor for Headache Pain
Consult a doctor about your headache and find out what can be done for pain relief in these situations:
- You have a chronic medical illness such as high blood pressure, heart disease, heart attack or stroke, diabetes, or liver problems.
- You do not get relief with over-the-counter pain medications.
- You are taking any other prescription or nonprescription medications.
- There is any change in the normal pattern of your headache.
- You have a new type of headache that you never had before.
- You have pain in your face or eyes.
Although headaches are very common, they may be a sign of serious disease that warrants immediate medical attention. Go to an emergency department if any of the following symptoms occur:
- Severe pain
- Pain that develops very rapidly (sudden onset)
- A change in concentration or ability to think
- A change in level of alertness
- Altered speech
- Weakness, numbness, or difficulty walking
- Changes in vision
- Headache with a stiff neck or neck pain, or if light hurts your eyes
- Worst headache of your life
- Headache with dizziness, room spinning, or falling to one side
- Headache from an injury or blow to the head
- Headache with fever (over 100.4 F or 38 C when taken by mouth)
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/14/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Mild Headache
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension, fear, or worry. Some fears and worries are justified, such as worry about a loved one. Anxiety may occur without a cause, ...learn more >>
CAM for Migraine and Cluster Headaches
In the United States, alternative and complementary medicine is growing rapidly and includes treatment of many health conditions, including pain. In 2002, accor...learn more >>
Causes and Treatments of Migraine Headaches
Headaches are very common; in fact, almost everyone will have a headache at some point. Headaches have been written about since the time of the Babylonians. Mig...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Headache (Mild):