There is no way to predict or prevent a miscarriage. Certain steps can be taken, however, to give a pregnancy every chance to continue to term.
- Get prenatal care and follow the advice of the health care professional (family doctor, obstetrician, midwife).
- Avoid alcohol, nicotine, and street drugs, especially cocaine, during pregnancy.
- Avoid or cut down on caffeine.
- Control high blood pressure and diabetes.
- Identify and treat any bacterial and certain viral infections.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/18/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Miscarriage
Dilation and Curettage (D&C)
The dilation and curettage procedure (D&C). This is a save procedure that a woman may need to have performed for a variety of reasons such as irregular bleeding...learn more >>
Ectopic pregnancy is a condition in which a pregnancy develops outside of a woman's uterus. Causes of ectopic pregnancy include previous Fallopian tube infectio...learn more >>