Viewer Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mitral Valve Prolapse:

Mitral Valve Prolapse - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your mitral valve prolapse?

I am a 23 year old female that one day had severe chest pain. This was the day that changed my life. I was at work, like any other day, when suddenly I had a terrible pain in my chest, I felt very short of breath, with hot flashes. I thought I was just sick. I turned pale white and felt as though I was going to pass out. With in two hours of feeling this way I was in the hospital hooked up to different machines. They couldn't determine what was wrong with me. I went home and two days later another episode that brought me to tears. I started noticing how I was short of breath after doing little things, like walking to the restroom or even from the living room to the kitchen to make coffee. My Dr. was struggling but determined to find what was wrong. He mentioned at one of my exams an irregular heart beat. He ordered an echo when finding out my father passed away at a young age, 47, do to an undetected heart problem. The echo showed the signs and confirmed that I had MVP. I kept complaining of a pressure on my chest. It felt like 10 tons of bricks just sitting there. Even though I was breathing and getting oxygen it felt as though I wasn't. My Dr. ordered every test known to man kind, to find out that it is MVP. It's been 2 months since all of this has started, I still have the pressure in my chest, I get the palpitations every day, and I am ready for a nap at about 2:00pm every day. It's encouraging to know that this is common. I have learned to live with the complications as mine don't seem to subside very often. I have taken things out of my life, IE. Coffee, alcohol etc. As it makes me feel worse, and my palpitations worse when those things are in my blood stream. It's hard being so young as the doctors are afraid to do anything. Every day is a new day and a new experience. My doctor right now is working towards getting me the proper medication needed so I can maintain a normal life.

I'm from Palestine, since 4 years ago, when I was 20 years old, I was feeling irregular pulse rhythm and some chest pain, I visited many doctors but none of them determined my case. For making me relax they advise me to take Beta Blocker, I used to take beta blocker all the last period every 2 days.2 years ago a doctor determined that I have MVP and ask me to continue in taking beta blocker. So I feel depressed because I have to deal with beta blocker all the rest of my life. but before 2 months I research about MVP on the net and I found many useful things and I realized that MVP is related directly to the nervous system which affected by many kinds of food. So I begin drinking 2 liters of water daily and avoid taking caffeine especially coffee, tea, and chocolate. Now I just want to tell you that I stop taking BETA BLOCKER, and didn't feel any of the last symptoms, but some time I feel irregular pulse but I take some relaxers and every thing is going fine.

Comment from: holefilledheart, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I'm a 20-year-old female who found out that I had MVP when I was nine years old. It's been a struggle to accept. My first cardiologist wanted to get me in for surgery as soon as possible due to the latest ultrasound. At the age of nine, I wasn't even sure I was ready for the thought of having someone open my chest and add a new part. My Dad and stalled, waiting for a better option. A new innovative method, anything that would save his daughter from the trauma of open heart surgery. I'm still stalling to this day. My major at university in ocean engineering and it demands a healthy body. Every day, I am worried that this will get in my way. It does. I have to explain to my friends that if I faint or get light-headed its normal. My family has a history of heart defects and I pray that my children, if I have any, will be spared this limitation. One day, I hope to be rid of MVP.

Comment from: RonnieGerardo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

When I was 18 years old is when I started getting really bad chest pains. I am 26 years old now it took them almost five years to actually diagnose me with MVP. There have been times that I have fainted and from the pain being so intense. About three weeks ago I was driving my sister to work and I blacked out for a split second from the pain and almost wrecked my vehicle. I advised my doctor that day what had happened and he ordered me not to drive my car anymore. He said it has gotten worse. I am scheduled to get a heart monitor on in a week, so he can have a closer look at what's going on. From what he said, surgery might be in my future. Living with MVP as bad as mine has not been easy. I am a single mother of two boys and can't really hold a job because I am always in pain.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I have found that 200 mg of CoQ10 helps reduce/eliminate the palpitations.

Comment from: VENZ, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I get nervous and I didn't know what to do until I went to specialist of the heart and she found out that I have "MVP". I was shocked and I can't accept it because there's no treatment for this. Now I have my maintenance. For now I'm still adjusting because I cannot live the way I want. Well that's life. Venz from the Phillipines.

Comment from: ladytx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I have MVP and A-fib. I was misdiagnosed for years. I was told it was panic attacks and was prescribed valium which I refused to take. I still deal with the emotional problems with MVP. They vary from extreme depression to anger. I have hot flashes that make me feel as if my body is on fire on the inside .I have trouble sleeping because when I lay down it feels like a drum solo is beating in my chest. I cannot enjoy my life anymore.

Must Read Articles Related to Mitral Valve Prolapse

Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension, fear, or worry. Some fears and worries are justified, such as worry about a loved one. Anxiety may occur without a cause, ...learn more >>
Chest Pain
Chest Pain Overview Chest pain has a variety of noncardiac and cardiac causes, some of which can be very serious. Signs and symptoms of chest pain may include burning, squeezing, o...learn more >>
Congestive Heart Failure
Congestive Heart Failure The heart is a pump that works together with the lungs. It pumps blood in two ways. Heart failure is a serious condition, but it can be managed. It pumps ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mitral Valve Prolapse:

Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment

Were beta blockers effective in treating your mitral valve prolapse, or was surgery necessary?