Viewer Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mitral Valve Prolapse:

Mitral Valve Prolapse - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your mitral valve prolapse?

I'm from Palestine, since 4 years ago, when I was 20 years old, I was feeling irregular pulse rhythm and some chest pain, I visited many doctors but none of them determined my case. For making me relax they advise me to take Beta Blocker, I used to take beta blocker all the last period every 2 days.2 years ago a doctor determined that I have MVP and ask me to continue in taking beta blocker. So I feel depressed because I have to deal with beta blocker all the rest of my life. but before 2 months I research about MVP on the net and I found many useful things and I realized that MVP is related directly to the nervous system which affected by many kinds of food. So I begin drinking 2 liters of water daily and avoid taking caffeine especially coffee, tea, and chocolate. Now I just want to tell you that I stop taking BETA BLOCKER, and didn't feel any of the last symptoms, but some time I feel irregular pulse but I take some relaxers and every thing is going fine.

Comment from: holefilledheart, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I'm a 20-year-old female who found out that I had MVP when I was nine years old. It's been a struggle to accept. My first cardiologist wanted to get me in for surgery as soon as possible due to the latest ultrasound. At the age of nine, I wasn't even sure I was ready for the thought of having someone open my chest and add a new part. My Dad and stalled, waiting for a better option. A new innovative method, anything that would save his daughter from the trauma of open heart surgery. I'm still stalling to this day. My major at university in ocean engineering and it demands a healthy body. Every day, I am worried that this will get in my way. It does. I have to explain to my friends that if I faint or get light-headed its normal. My family has a history of heart defects and I pray that my children, if I have any, will be spared this limitation. One day, I hope to be rid of MVP.

Comment from: RonnieGerardo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

When I was 18 years old is when I started getting really bad chest pains. I am 26 years old now it took them almost five years to actually diagnose me with MVP. There have been times that I have fainted and from the pain being so intense. About three weeks ago I was driving my sister to work and I blacked out for a split second from the pain and almost wrecked my vehicle. I advised my doctor that day what had happened and he ordered me not to drive my car anymore. He said it has gotten worse. I am scheduled to get a heart monitor on in a week, so he can have a closer look at what's going on. From what he said, surgery might be in my future. Living with MVP as bad as mine has not been easy. I am a single mother of two boys and can't really hold a job because I am always in pain.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I have found that 200 mg of CoQ10 helps reduce/eliminate the palpitations.

Comment from: VENZ, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I get nervous and I didn't know what to do until I went to specialist of the heart and she found out that I have "MVP". I was shocked and I can't accept it because there's no treatment for this. Now I have my maintenance. For now I'm still adjusting because I cannot live the way I want. Well that's life. Venz from the Phillipines.

Comment from: ladytx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I have MVP and A-fib. I was misdiagnosed for years. I was told it was panic attacks and was prescribed valium which I refused to take. I still deal with the emotional problems with MVP. They vary from extreme depression to anger. I have hot flashes that make me feel as if my body is on fire on the inside .I have trouble sleeping because when I lay down it feels like a drum solo is beating in my chest. I cannot enjoy my life anymore.

Comment from: fgn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I was diagnosed with MVP 25 years ago, 6 months after the birth of my first child. Symptoms included fluttering, palpitations for no apparent reason, occasional discomfort in my forearm, persistent cold hands and feet, not able to get a deep breath. At times, I would experience a crushing feeling in the center of my chest when lying on one side or the other. Diagnosis came when I saw a cardiologist and he did an echocardiogram. What a relief to find that it was not life threatening. Stress seemed to be the trigger for years afterwards. Now, it's definitely caffeine that brings on these feelings. Coffee and diet coke are both culprits. Drinking lots of water seems to help...and staying away from caffeine. I have echocardiograms done about every 5 years.

Comment from: RNMSN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I am 45 yrs young and I was diagnosed with MVP 8 yrs ago. Symptoms started suddenly: very short of breath with little activity, heart pounding and racing in chest, chest hurting, feeling like I was going to pass out if I stood too much, panic attack feelings out of the blue, and just plain fatigued all the time. I saw a cardiologist and was put on meds, which helped but needed to really trial and error the dosage. ALSO- very important! If you can: A neurologist may also be able to help you if you feel nothing is working. My cardiologist referred me to a neurologist for neurocardiogenic syncope - which is your body being off balance (autonomic system) due to your MVP including how it affects your nervous system. Together, the neurologist and cardio MD were able to come up with medications (cardio and neuro) that really help me have a better active life than I had before. Not a miracle but much better than I was. Unfortunately, it is frustrating that everything takes so much time to figure out, but hang in there. And keep pushing your doctors for answers and options if you are not satisfied. You are the patient. Doctors are there to help you. Hope this helps, RNMSN

Must Read Articles Related to Mitral Valve Prolapse

Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension, fear, or worry. Some fears and worries are justified, such as worry about a loved one. Anxiety may occur without a cause, ...learn more >>
Chest Pain
Chest Pain Overview Chest pain has a variety of noncardiac and cardiac causes, some of which can be very serious. Signs and symptoms of chest pain may include burning, squeezing, o...learn more >>
Congestive Heart Failure
Congestive Heart Failure The heart is a pump that works together with the lungs. It pumps blood in two ways. Heart failure is a serious condition, but it can be managed. It pumps ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mitral Valve Prolapse:

Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment

Were beta blockers effective in treating your mitral valve prolapse, or was surgery necessary?