Viewer Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mitral Valve Prolapse:

Mitral Valve Prolapse - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your mitral valve prolapse?

Comment from: Postitvethinking, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I am 34 yr old university professor and triathlete from the Philippines with a history of hyperthyroidism. My life changed in November. A day after a marathon, I collapsed during swim training and had to be rushed to the ER. A week after, I blacked for 15 min while on a 5-minute bike ride. Ever since then, I would feel my heart pounding even with the slightest activity such as going up the stairs or even conversing. After three days of medical tests in the hospital, my cardiologist diagnosed me with MVP. After reading this article everything made more sense, and the symptoms that I am experiencing are exactly the same as in the article. I am hoping for further tests and treatment, and to get back to my active lifestyle. I have a daughter to raise, a doctorate to earn and an Iron Man race to finish. I just have too many things to live for.

Comment from: ChefBatneg, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I'm a 23 year old chef who had to stop working in the kitchen due to MVP. I just could not bear the heat and stress the kitchen brings with the heart condition. The one particular day I decided to stop work was when I blacked out and nearly fell face first into the kitchen grill. Since then, even the simplest activities such as using the stairs, carrying groceries or even just getting up from a seated position causes violent palpitations, sometimes I could even hear my heart pulsating in my ear. I have no idea what to do. I'm still young but can't work anymore. My cardiologist recommended I take beta blockers but they only make me drowsy, weak and depressed. Here's to wishing for a miracle cure...

Comment from: babs2560, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 52 and was told I had this after seeing a heart doctor. I have passed out many times from as far back as I can remember. I've had so many panic attacks, I shake all over for an hour after these attacks. I have always felt nervous and anxious. My heart would beat so fast I thought I was going to die. My skin has always felt thick and tight even after tons of lotions. After the doctor told me my problem two years ago, the first thing I said was I'm not crazy. Now I walk a lot and take a mild nerve pill twice a week if needed, this keeps my nerves intact and I feel normal after 50 years, what a waste of time though. I'm a new person now because now I know what is wrong.

Comment from: ssk, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

From the age of eleven I have always suffered from an explicable pain under my left breast directly to the heart. When that happened breathing became difficult as with every breath would make the pain sharper. At times I would have a blackout when rising from a chair or out of the bath tub. Now that I am 25 years old the family doctor finally told me that I suffer from mitral valve prolapse after being ill on a weekend and thinking I was going to die. Many doctors couldn't tell me what was wrong with me but now I'm happy I know. As I've grown older I am beginning to have problems with my left arm. It feels numb and at most times I have no power in that hand.

Comment from: Denise, 45-54 Female Published: February 01

20 years ago when I was told I had MVP I mainly experienced rapid heart beat, fatigue and some chest pains. After loss of my 27 year job due to plant closing and my age things have gotten worse. It has been 6 years since my major job loss but I have been working for retail for 6 years and only missed one day of work. I am experiencing more chest pains or heaviness like some one sitting on my chest. Light headed, very low energy but most of all ANXIETY. I am nervous most all the time with no reason. I have no problems sleeping more staying awake once I sit down in the recliner I am gone and sleep there most of the time. I live by myself and lost interest in almost everything I use to love to do. I use to love crafts and computers but lack concentration of them. I hate myself for feeling so nervous. I went through menopause about 6 years ago and thought that might have increased my nervousness but believe it is the MVP. 6 years ago the doctor gave me anti depressant Effexor, but I got off them after a year I felt it made me not think clear enough for my job. I was looking on this site to see if I could do anything to alleviate my nervousness without prescription drugs but did not see that. I am 53 years old and I hate this feeling of gloom and doom.

Comment from: jean, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I am 35 years old and diagnosed with mild mitral valve prolapse 2 years ago. But the symptoms are getting worse. I have chest pain that come and go, elevated bp, depression, mood swing, memory problem, numbness on my hands and feet, back pain, shortness of breath, fatigue. My cardio gave atenolol and amlodipine for I have taken almost more than 2 years.

Must Read Articles Related to Mitral Valve Prolapse

Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension, fear, or worry. Some fears and worries are justified, such as worry about a loved one. Anxiety may occur without a cause, ...learn more >>
Chest Pain
Chest Pain Overview Chest pain has a variety of noncardiac and cardiac causes, some of which can be very serious. Signs and symptoms of chest pain may include burning, squeezing, o...learn more >>
Congestive Heart Failure
Congestive Heart Failure The heart is a pump that works together with the lungs. It pumps blood in two ways. Heart failure is a serious condition, but it can be managed. It pumps ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mitral Valve Prolapse:

Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment

Were beta blockers effective in treating your mitral valve prolapse, or was surgery necessary?