Viewer Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mitral Valve Prolapse:

Mitral Valve Prolapse - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your mitral valve prolapse?

Comment from: fgn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I was diagnosed with MVP 25 years ago, 6 months after the birth of my first child. Symptoms included fluttering, palpitations for no apparent reason, occasional discomfort in my forearm, persistent cold hands and feet, not able to get a deep breath. At times, I would experience a crushing feeling in the center of my chest when lying on one side or the other. Diagnosis came when I saw a cardiologist and he did an echocardiogram. What a relief to find that it was not life threatening. Stress seemed to be the trigger for years afterwards. Now, it's definitely caffeine that brings on these feelings. Coffee and diet coke are both culprits. Drinking lots of water seems to help...and staying away from caffeine. I have echocardiograms done about every 5 years.

Comment from: RNMSN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I am 45 yrs young and I was diagnosed with MVP 8 yrs ago. Symptoms started suddenly: very short of breath with little activity, heart pounding and racing in chest, chest hurting, feeling like I was going to pass out if I stood too much, panic attack feelings out of the blue, and just plain fatigued all the time. I saw a cardiologist and was put on meds, which helped but needed to really trial and error the dosage. ALSO- very important! If you can: A neurologist may also be able to help you if you feel nothing is working. My cardiologist referred me to a neurologist for neurocardiogenic syncope - which is your body being off balance (autonomic system) due to your MVP including how it affects your nervous system. Together, the neurologist and cardio MD were able to come up with medications (cardio and neuro) that really help me have a better active life than I had before. Not a miracle but much better than I was. Unfortunately, it is frustrating that everything takes so much time to figure out, but hang in there. And keep pushing your doctors for answers and options if you are not satisfied. You are the patient. Doctors are there to help you. Hope this helps, RNMSN

Comment from: Postitvethinking, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I am 34 yr old university professor and triathlete from the Philippines with a history of hyperthyroidism. My life changed in November. A day after a marathon, I collapsed during swim training and had to be rushed to the ER. A week after, I blacked for 15 min while on a 5-minute bike ride. Ever since then, I would feel my heart pounding even with the slightest activity such as going up the stairs or even conversing. After three days of medical tests in the hospital, my cardiologist diagnosed me with MVP. After reading this article everything made more sense, and the symptoms that I am experiencing are exactly the same as in the article. I am hoping for further tests and treatment, and to get back to my active lifestyle. I have a daughter to raise, a doctorate to earn and an Iron Man race to finish. I just have too many things to live for.

Comment from: ChefBatneg, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I'm a 23 year old chef who had to stop working in the kitchen due to MVP. I just could not bear the heat and stress the kitchen brings with the heart condition. The one particular day I decided to stop work was when I blacked out and nearly fell face first into the kitchen grill. Since then, even the simplest activities such as using the stairs, carrying groceries or even just getting up from a seated position causes violent palpitations, sometimes I could even hear my heart pulsating in my ear. I have no idea what to do. I'm still young but can't work anymore. My cardiologist recommended I take beta blockers but they only make me drowsy, weak and depressed. Here's to wishing for a miracle cure...

Comment from: babs2560, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 52 and was told I had this after seeing a heart doctor. I have passed out many times from as far back as I can remember. I've had so many panic attacks, I shake all over for an hour after these attacks. I have always felt nervous and anxious. My heart would beat so fast I thought I was going to die. My skin has always felt thick and tight even after tons of lotions. After the doctor told me my problem two years ago, the first thing I said was I'm not crazy. Now I walk a lot and take a mild nerve pill twice a week if needed, this keeps my nerves intact and I feel normal after 50 years, what a waste of time though. I'm a new person now because now I know what is wrong.

Comment from: ssk, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

From the age of eleven I have always suffered from an explicable pain under my left breast directly to the heart. When that happened breathing became difficult as with every breath would make the pain sharper. At times I would have a blackout when rising from a chair or out of the bath tub. Now that I am 25 years old the family doctor finally told me that I suffer from mitral valve prolapse after being ill on a weekend and thinking I was going to die. Many doctors couldn't tell me what was wrong with me but now I'm happy I know. As I've grown older I am beginning to have problems with my left arm. It feels numb and at most times I have no power in that hand.

Comment from: Denise, 45-54 Female Published: February 01

20 years ago when I was told I had MVP I mainly experienced rapid heart beat, fatigue and some chest pains. After loss of my 27 year job due to plant closing and my age things have gotten worse. It has been 6 years since my major job loss but I have been working for retail for 6 years and only missed one day of work. I am experiencing more chest pains or heaviness like some one sitting on my chest. Light headed, very low energy but most of all ANXIETY. I am nervous most all the time with no reason. I have no problems sleeping more staying awake once I sit down in the recliner I am gone and sleep there most of the time. I live by myself and lost interest in almost everything I use to love to do. I use to love crafts and computers but lack concentration of them. I hate myself for feeling so nervous. I went through menopause about 6 years ago and thought that might have increased my nervousness but believe it is the MVP. 6 years ago the doctor gave me anti depressant Effexor, but I got off them after a year I felt it made me not think clear enough for my job. I was looking on this site to see if I could do anything to alleviate my nervousness without prescription drugs but did not see that. I am 53 years old and I hate this feeling of gloom and doom.

Must Read Articles Related to Mitral Valve Prolapse

Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension, fear, or worry. Some fears and worries are justified, such as worry about a loved one. Anxiety may occur without a cause, ...learn more >>
Palpitations
Palpitations Palpitations is a term that describes the feeling that occurs when an individual can feel an abnormality in the normal beating of their heart. There are several...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mitral Valve Prolapse:

Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment

Were beta blockers effective in treating your mitral valve prolapse, or was surgery necessary?