Mole Removal (cont.)
When to Seek Medical Care
It is necessary to call the doctor if you notice any of these signs of infection:
- Excessive discharge, bleeding, or foul-smelling fluid from the wound
- Fever higher than 100 F (in an adult) or higher than 101 F (in a child)
- If pain is severe and does not go away if you take acetaminophen (Anacin-3 Maximum Strength, Childrens Tylenol, Tylenol, Tylenol Caplet, Tylenol Caplet Extra Strength, Tylenol Extended Release, Tylenol Extra Strength, Tylenol Gelcap Extra Strength, Tylenol Suspension). (Don't use aspirin [Arthritis Pain, Aspergum Cherry, Aspergum Orginal, Aspir-Low, Aspirin Lite Coat, Aspirin Low Strength, Bayer Aspirin, Bayer Aspirin Regimen, Bayer Childrens Aspirin, Bufferin, Bufferin Arthritis Strength, Easprin, Ecotrin, Empirin, Fasprin, Genacote, Halfprin, Norwich Aspirin, St. Joseph Aspirin, St. Joseph Aspirin Adult Chewable, Stanback Analgesic, Tri-Buffered Aspirin, Zorprin] or ibuprofen [Advil, Advil Childrens, Advil Junior Strength, Advil Liquigel, Advil Migraine, Childrens Ibuprofen Berry, Genpril, IBU-200, Midol IB, Midol Maximum Strength Cramp Formula, Motrin, Motrin Childrens, Motrin IB, Motrin Infant Drops, Motrin Junior Strength, Motrin Migraine Pain, Nuprin] or their
equivalents after surgery. Aspirin or similar products such as ibuprofen and naproxen [Aleve, Aleve Caplet, Aleve Easy Open Arthritis, Aleve Gelcap, Anaprox, Anaprox-DS, Comfort Pac with Naproxen, EC-Naprosyn, Leader Naproxen Sodium, Midol Extended Relief, Naprelan '375', Naprelan '500', Naprosyn]
can increase the likelihood of bleeding. If it is necessary for you to take these drugs, ask your doctor prior to the surgery.)
- Avoid any other blood thinner medications that might slow down healing time. Prior to the procedure, your surgeon will discuss your medications with you and make appropriate recommendations if you are taking blood thinner medications (medications that interfere with blood clotting).
It is rarely necessary to go to the hospital after mole
removal. If catastrophic bleeding occurs or if there is an alteration in mental
state or severe infection, this may warrant a visit to the hospital's emergency
- Usually, it is best to call the surgeon's office if time permits to make sure the doctor does not have a suggestion, which may eliminate the need to go to the hospital.
- If excessive bleeding occurs, hold firm pressure on the wound for at least
- Also, ice may be applied to the wound for pain management, but ice does not stop bleeding (contrary to popular myth).
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mole Removal: