Viewer Comments: Mole Removal - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mole Removal:

Mole Removal - Experience

Please describe your experience with mole removal.

Comment from: judyj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

Four weeks ago, I had a mole removed from my back along the upper part of my bra line. A biopsy was also done. All went fine. However a week later I woke with a very bad debilitating pain starting at the site of the biopsy and radiating down my side rib cage and ending underneath my breast in my rib cage on that side. I went back to the dermatologist. He did a culture (negative), gave me a few shots of Lidocaine and suggested possibly shingles. He said I should go to my doctor to get some tests done. I went to my doctor. He did not think it was shingles since I had shingles 6 months before on the other side of my body. The pain feels like shingles pain but I have no rash and it has been 3 weeks. I am living on two Motrin, 3 times a day. My doctor said I could have inflammation under the site of the biopsy that could have affected the nerve. I am still miserable and it has been 3 weeks.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: January 31

My dermatologist cauterized several small moles and one large one two weeks ago. He told me the large type could take two to three weeks to heal. I wish I had known that before undergoing the removal so I could have planned better. The large one was smack dab under my bra band in front. The healing has been painful even without a bra, very painful with one, which I can't bear very long. I am a keloid former, and this may have something to do with it. Keeping a Band-aid on it seems to help the most. I am allergic to Neosporin and have used cortisone cream and Bacitracin.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I just had a few moles removed. The worst part was the shot to numb the area. A couple of days after the surgery I got a huge rash on and around each of the moles. I thought it was from the adhesive on the band-aides but later found out it was because of the ointment I was using. This article was very helpful. I went to get Polysporin and it is looking much better already.

Comment from: jillybean, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I had a raised mole on my back righy under my bra line so it was constantly getting irritated, got it removed today. My experience was pretty painless. One stab of the needle and 15 seconds of stinging, I couldn't feel a thing. He took a tweezers and razor and started sawing away at my mole holding it with tweezers. I watched as 2 decent chunks of flesh were set aside. Then he cauterized and cleaned it up and I was outta there.

Comment from: deedee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I went to the skin doctor this week and had three raised small moles removed. The doctor and his assistant came in after having me wait three hours and rushed through my mole removal!. He says take a deep breath! I was stuck with a small needle with pain meds in it. That pain med raised my skin on the site the mole was, then I heard a cutting sound, then a burning smell and sizzle sound and it was on to the next mole. Three in all. They were finished in 10 min and I was given no instructions on aftercare.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I removed moles at home with apple cider vinegar after I had them checked by a dermatologist. They were moles that I have had most of my life that were only cosmetic problems. The smaller moles fell off quickly and I didn't even have a scar. The larger ones took a little longer and left a small pink circle that's hardly noticeable.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I had a mole removed on my back and it was not a good experience. The stitches did not heal up well and the wound burst open. The stitches which were supposed to dissolve but they did not dissolve. A few weeks after the mole removal surgery I saw two of them still in the skin in my back.

Comment from: Deb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

After I had some of my moles removed (they were burned off) they return twice as much as I had before in the same area. This took about 1 year before I noticed them returning. I am now looking for another way of removing them other than being burned. They are not big enough to be removed by surgery.

Comment from: Lizzlebean, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had many raised moles that were getting irritated by my clothing and were just ugly. I have no insurance but went in to see a specialist about cosmetic removal. After determining the ones I pointed out were benign he noticed two or three that could be dangerous. We decided to remove and biopsy the largest problem mole and shave the two raised ones. Since I didn't have insurance he really gave me a good deal on the cost. I even got scar reducing stitches that I didn't need to pay for. Topical anesthetics were used and I didn't feel a thing.