Viewer Comments: Mole Removal - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mole Removal:

Mole Removal - Experience

Please describe your experience with mole removal.

Comment from: DIESELDAN, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I had a total of 5 small moles on the left side of my face and 4 on the right side. All were small, 2 were the size of a pencil eraser and were making me feel very self-conscious. I started putting apple cider vinegar on them and 2 days later 2 fell off. In less than a week only the two big ones remained. Within a week and a half the big ones were falling off. Some do have signs of scarring where they were, but I will take that instead of those unsightly moles any day. My wife said she has some microdermabrasion kit that will help with the scars. I took pictures of my face before and I look back at them all the time wishing I did this sooner.

Comment from: Kristyg107, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a mole removed from my toe two years ago. I had an appointment a couple of weeks later and was told that it was a malignant melanoma. There was a cancer specialist there. They told me that the results were strange and that the biopsy would need to go to the hospital. After two weeks of waiting, I called the cancer nurse who was at my appointment and was told that it was nothing to worry about after all. I was confused but couldn't get a straight answer. Anyway, I have now started experiencing a lot of itching in that area and my toe seems to have turned a dark pink color. I have booked a doctor appointment but would like a little peace of mind in the meantime.

Comment from: PLP, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I had a small mole on the bottom of my spine which the dermatologist thought should be removed even though it didn't look cancerous. It was 'shaved' off and was a very easy painless procedure at the dermatologist's office. She placed a bandage on it and sent me on my way. Now a week later I have what I'm told is a small, black hole that is painful. I'm really sorry I didn't talk to them about after care.

Comment from: judyj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

Four weeks ago, I had a mole removed from my back along the upper part of my bra line. A biopsy was also done. All went fine. However a week later I woke with a very bad debilitating pain starting at the site of the biopsy and radiating down my side rib cage and ending underneath my breast in my rib cage on that side. I went back to the dermatologist. He did a culture (negative), gave me a few shots of Lidocaine and suggested possibly shingles. He said I should go to my doctor to get some tests done. I went to my doctor. He did not think it was shingles since I had shingles 6 months before on the other side of my body. The pain feels like shingles pain but I have no rash and it has been 3 weeks. I am living on two Motrin, 3 times a day. My doctor said I could have inflammation under the site of the biopsy that could have affected the nerve. I am still miserable and it has been 3 weeks.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: January 31

My dermatologist cauterized several small moles and one large one two weeks ago. He told me the large type could take two to three weeks to heal. I wish I had known that before undergoing the removal so I could have planned better. The large one was smack dab under my bra band in front. The healing has been painful even without a bra, very painful with one, which I can't bear very long. I am a keloid former, and this may have something to do with it. Keeping a Band-aid on it seems to help the most. I am allergic to Neosporin and have used cortisone cream and Bacitracin.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I just had a few moles removed. The worst part was the shot to numb the area. A couple of days after the surgery I got a huge rash on and around each of the moles. I thought it was from the adhesive on the band-aides but later found out it was because of the ointment I was using. This article was very helpful. I went to get Polysporin and it is looking much better already.

Comment from: jillybean, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I had a raised mole on my back righy under my bra line so it was constantly getting irritated, got it removed today. My experience was pretty painless. One stab of the needle and 15 seconds of stinging, I couldn't feel a thing. He took a tweezers and razor and started sawing away at my mole holding it with tweezers. I watched as 2 decent chunks of flesh were set aside. Then he cauterized and cleaned it up and I was outta there.

Comment from: deedee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I went to the skin doctor this week and had three raised small moles removed. The doctor and his assistant came in after having me wait three hours and rushed through my mole removal!. He says take a deep breath! I was stuck with a small needle with pain meds in it. That pain med raised my skin on the site the mole was, then I heard a cutting sound, then a burning smell and sizzle sound and it was on to the next mole. Three in all. They were finished in 10 min and I was given no instructions on aftercare.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mole Removal:

Mole Removal - Patient Experience

Did you have a mole removed? Please describe your experience.