Viewer Comments: Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

...
Comment from: 12315, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

I'm 15 and I have mono. My lymph glands are swollen and my throat is sore. My tonsils are all white and they hurt badly. I have a high fever and I can barely sleep. I hope this will be over soon. I'm taking medication for pain and resting and drinking a lot of water. I've also been drinking hot tea and eating chicken noodle soup. They both really soothe the pain.

Comment from: kristi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

Iron helps build white blood cells. It was given to me for mono by my doctor to regain my strength.

Comment from: Heather, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had a headache and slight sore throat early in the day. Then by evening I developed bad chills and body ache and my throat worsened to feeling like I was swallowing razors. When I looked down my throat I saw white patches almost stringing from my tonsils which I thought for sure it would be strep but ended up being "mono."

Comment from: JR, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I had a high fever, up to 103 at one point, with accompanying headache. The fever lasted about six days before subsiding, and I received a positive diagnosis from a blood test taken at day five. Although I did not have a sore throat, my tonsils were enlarged.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I had mono when I was 17, with typical symptoms. Now I'm 46 and I'm sick with EBV infection again. Whether a recurrence, a flare-up or something new, the whole EBV panel shows I have mono. I got sick just after my youngest daughter got mono, and I thought it was a cold. Then I started sleeping excessively and was getting migraines. The headaches got worse and I kept getting more stuffy and more tired. 3 weeks later I now have a sore throat but no real swollen glands or fever. The headaches are my biggest issue. I have fibromyalgia, spine issues, frozen shoulder and general chronic pain disorder so any viral infection flares up my pain. The doctor said if symptoms are still there in a week they will try an anti-viral medicine. He also plans to monitor the EBV panel through labs over the next year to help clearly determine what my status is with this virus. Feel better everyone.

Comment from: Jesse, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I'm a 33 year old female. I have been feeling tired for nearly a month now. I've been battling to get out of bed. Terrible headaches, upset stomach, vomiting, swollen glands, sudden fevers and chills, sore throat… I got my results it clearly showed that I have had mononucleosis before (without knowing it) and that is currently active in my system. They have no idea how long I will be sick. I have been on the antibiotics for seven days. Today, most of the symptoms have gone but I feel very tired. I have returned to work today. After half days at work my headaches are back and I have a stiff neck. The tiredness is the worst. Don't know how I'm going to get through a whole day. I should have stayed in bed for at least one more week but I have no more sick leave. Hope nobody else gets it from me. I stay clear of everybody. I try to take in as much fluids as I can. This is not a nice illness to have and the fact that nobody knows for how long I will be sick does not help much.

Comment from: Stacey, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 23

My 40-year-old husband started with body aches and being very tired. Within two days, he developed an extreme headache, the worst he's ever had in his life came on with a fever. He was brought to the ER because the headache got worse, which he didn't think possible. After a battery of tests, 2 days in the hospital and one more ER visit, the acute issues from this started to subside. It was a terrible experience. After about 10 days, he started to feel a bit better and now continues to recover, resting as much as possible.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

About five and a half months ago, I felt as though I was coming down with the flu, even though I had a flu shot. I went to the doctor who diagnosed a sinus infection and put me on antibiotics. Though the sinus pressure got better, I was unbelievably exhausted no matter how much sleep I got, had muscle weakness even though I'm very fit and active. After three months of feeling awful and seeing my now former internist who did essentially nothing, I finally found an internist who asked lots of questions and ran a bunch of blood tests. She called me with the diagnosis - mono! It's now two months since the diagnosis. I've been resting a lot and am still exhausted. This illness is the worst! Hopefully I will start to feel better soon because I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired!

...

Must Read Articles Related to Mononucleosis

Peritonsillar Abscess
Peritonsillar Abscess A peritonsillar abscess forms in the tissues of the throat next to one of the tonsils. An abscess is a collection of pus that forms near an area of infected .....learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Swollen Lymph Glands Lymph nodes (part of the lymphatic system) may signal infection if they are swollen. Types of conditions that involve swollen lymph nodes include infection, vir...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your mononucleosis?