Viewer Comments: Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

...
Comment from: tsarge, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I'm a 44 year old fit male. I started with a really bad cough and congestion in April. It felt like seasonal allergies. Never went away. Not until my second doctor's visit was I tested positive for mononucleosis! I'm in a high stress job so this isn't what I needed. No energy, sore throat, crazy amount of mucus, and crazy bad rash on both arms that hasn't gone away after 2 months. Advil, Tylenol and rest are what help but I want my life back!

Comment from: Dr deb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I had mononucleosis as a teen, it began with a rash, then severe headache and very high fever. Test results came back positive for mono. Later in life I would run fevers and be tired for no reason. A friend who is doctor told me that mono can flare up repeatedly! Now I'm much older, whenever I exercise too much I get sick with tiredness, aches, fever and headache. I did a 3 hour mountain climb recently and then ran a fever up to 102 F with headache and 4 days later still running the fever, 100 F maximum, and headache.

Comment from: Ifeellikeimdyinglol, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I'm now 19 years old. I was first diagnosed with mononucleosis in January when I was still 18 (about 2 months ago), and my worst symptoms were sore throat, swollen tonsils, and fatigue. I'm an athlete and a college student, so I had to stay away from school for a week and away from my sport for 4 weeks. My tonsils were so swollen, they were almost touching. I couldn't even swallow my own spit, so my doctor put me on a steroid and the swelling went down enough for me to eat after a few days. However, getting out of bed was out of the question for a solid couple weeks. Anyway, after I went back to school and started feeling better, I got cleared to start playing my sport again and everything. Three weeks later and I'm sick again with mono. I relapsed and it's so much worse this time. My tonsils were swollen and pus-filled again, my gums are swollen, I have canker sores in my mouth, and I get really bad stomach aches and heartburn when I try to eat. I've already lost 11 pounds in 5 days. My headaches at the beginning were so bad that I would cry with every step I took. I'm also congested on top of everything. I'm sure I'm leaving something out because there's just too many symptoms to keep track of. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. If you have mono and you're reading this, I sincerely hope you feel better. Take care of your body the first time you have it so you don't relapse.

Comment from: Jl787, Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I was 16 when I was diagnosed with mononucleosis. I really didn't know what it was though I had heard of it before. It started with a fever that escalated into a very bad sore throat and my throat only started to get worse, something I've never felt before. When I went to go see what was wrong with my throat my tonsils were the problem, they were so swollen with patches of white surrounding it. Only one side of my neck was in pain, really weird. When I found out I was diagnosed with mono I only knew things would get worse before getting better. I do understand that I won't see myself getting better for a while.

Comment from: CrazyMono, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I'm 46 years old. It seems like I had mononucleosis since the beginning of November 2014 but did not get diagnosed with EBV (Epstein–Barr virus) until mid-December 2014. I had to suggest an EBV blood test from my primary care doctor. After the New Year of 2015, I started to feel better but I can tell that I'm weak as I cannot weightlift like I used to. But this past week, I started to feel very weak, and have dizziness, low grade fever, and brain fog.

Comment from: Recovering Slowly, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 09

I have been fairly healthy with an occasional cold once in a while. My 74 year old mother had severe osteoarthritis and I had to stop working to take care of her. In November 2014, I caught a severe cold on the 5th and recovered after 10 days which is longer than usual because I had to still cook meals and some household chores, in addition, to helping my mother. After my mother had her hip surgery in December 2014, I spent 3 to 12 hours at the hospital, doctor's offices, and rehabilitation. On December 23rd, I became very sick with severely sore throat, fatigue, coughing, sinus congestion, loss of appetite, and overall weakness. I was sweating so much that despite drinking 1.5 liters of water, I did not need to go to the bathroom. When I recovered from most of the cold symptoms, I still felt very tired, and weak unlike anything I felt in the past. I decided to get a checkup and had an extensive blood test. I was shocked to hear I have mononucleosis. I thought mono was something which afflicts teenagers and college students. I honestly believe that I caught the virus at the doctors' offices, hospital or rehab because I spend the majority of my time at home alone when I am not taking my mother to her doctor's appointments or visiting her at the rehab. There are days when I feel better, then, I have a moderate sore throat and painfully swollen lymph nodes in my throat, no appetite, weakness, upper left abdominal pain ( one episode lasting 1 to 2 hours daily), and extreme fatigue. It is now 5 weeks and I am forcing myself to eat despite having no appetite. I am so happy to encounter this site and reading about other people's experiences. I had been extremely depressed and scared that so much time has passed and do not understand why I do not feel better yet when I have been fairly healthy and slim my entire life. I will be getting another blood test soon. Hope I get well soon because work is piling up due to my brain not working properly and extreme fatigue.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Mononucleosis

Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Swollen Lymph Glands Lymph nodes (part of the lymphatic system) may signal infection if they are swollen. Types of conditions that involve swollen lymph nodes include infection, vir...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your mononucleosis?