Viewer Comments: Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: CrazyMono, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I'm 46 years old. It seems like I had mononucleosis since the beginning of November 2014 but did not get diagnosed with EBV (Epsteinā€“Barr virus) until mid-December 2014. I had to suggest an EBV blood test from my primary care doctor. After the New Year of 2015, I started to feel better but I can tell that I'm weak as I cannot weightlift like I used to. But this past week, I started to feel very weak, and have dizziness, low grade fever, and brain fog.

Comment from: Recovering Slowly, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 09

I have been fairly healthy with an occasional cold once in a while. My 74 year old mother had severe osteoarthritis and I had to stop working to take care of her. In November 2014, I caught a severe cold on the 5th and recovered after 10 days which is longer than usual because I had to still cook meals and some household chores, in addition, to helping my mother. After my mother had her hip surgery in December 2014, I spent 3 to 12 hours at the hospital, doctor's offices, and rehabilitation. On December 23rd, I became very sick with severely sore throat, fatigue, coughing, sinus congestion, loss of appetite, and overall weakness. I was sweating so much that despite drinking 1.5 liters of water, I did not need to go to the bathroom. When I recovered from most of the cold symptoms, I still felt very tired, and weak unlike anything I felt in the past. I decided to get a checkup and had an extensive blood test. I was shocked to hear I have mononucleosis. I thought mono was something which afflicts teenagers and college students. I honestly believe that I caught the virus at the doctors' offices, hospital or rehab because I spend the majority of my time at home alone when I am not taking my mother to her doctor's appointments or visiting her at the rehab. There are days when I feel better, then, I have a moderate sore throat and painfully swollen lymph nodes in my throat, no appetite, weakness, upper left abdominal pain ( one episode lasting 1 to 2 hours daily), and extreme fatigue. It is now 5 weeks and I am forcing myself to eat despite having no appetite. I am so happy to encounter this site and reading about other people's experiences. I had been extremely depressed and scared that so much time has passed and do not understand why I do not feel better yet when I have been fairly healthy and slim my entire life. I will be getting another blood test soon. Hope I get well soon because work is piling up due to my brain not working properly and extreme fatigue.

Comment from: madrilenya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

IĀ“m 38 years old. I was diagnosed with mono about 2 weeks ago though I had symptoms for one month before that. My doctor told me that I was also exhausted. My symptoms were swollen lymph nodes in my groin and on one side of my neck, plus one swollen node under my chin. I had fever and bad headaches for about 3 days and general malaise for two weeks. I was depressed, my eyes were more sensitive to the light and I had a little cough but no sore throat at all. I was relieved when my doctor told me that mono is not serious and very common. Now the nodes are going down very well but I have funny sensations in my neck sometimes. I suffer patchy spells of extreme tiredness which I recognize as not normal because IĀ“m very fit and active. I get shivers if IĀ“m in an air conditioned room when other people are fine. Occasionally I feel nauseous after eating. A medical student friend tells me that you can get mono from drinking from a dirty glass, or even a dentist!! I feel IĀ“m getting better and I eat tons of fish, salads and fruit as always, but my recovery is much slower than I expected. IĀ“m glad to read that itĀ“s ok not to be 100% fit after 6 weeks because I started to worry. Your page has helped.

I found out I had mono about 2 months ago. I've always slept a lot like any normal 18 year old but I had been getting so tired I would sleep for 12 hours and still be exhausted when I woke up. One morning I woke up to the worst sore throat I have ever had and very swollen glands in my neck. I went to my doctor a few days later and she immediately sent me to an ear nose and throat doctor because my tonsils were so swollen they were almost closing my throat. The ENT doctor took one look and said it was mono. I was put on steroids amoxicillin and pain medication. It hurt too much to swallow my own spit let alone any meds and all I could do was basically drool to avoid swallowing. I was brought to the emergency room. I was down to 97 pounds with no strength or energy left. Out of school and work for a month. Now 2 months later I have relapsed and am very sick again. All of the same symptoms are back and worse. Tonsils will be coming out but that won't get rid of the mono. Aches and pains and swollen glands and UTI are back. This has been the worst illness I've experienced ever. I pray it goes away but I know that won't be happening anytime soon.

Comment from: Eric, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I am 34, I suspect I have mononucleosis, also presenting swollen (really huge) tonsil in the right side only. All the pains are also on the right side. It started with acute neck and shoulder pain, mild sore throat, right tonsil exudate, and very mild fever. I felt really tired the first 4 days. I am recovering but the neck pain is the most troubling, it is almost same symptoms as of a herniated disc. Really surprises me, this asymmetry of the disease.

Must Read Articles Related to Mononucleosis

Peritonsillar Abscess
Peritonsillar Abscess A peritonsillar abscess forms in the tissues of the throat next to one of the tonsils. An abscess is a collection of pus that forms near an area of infected .....learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Swollen Lymph Glands Lymph nodes (part of the lymphatic system) may signal infection if they are swollen. Types of conditions that involve swollen lymph nodes include infection, vir...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your mononucleosis?