Viewer Comments: Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Stacey, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 23

My 40-year-old husband started with body aches and being very tired. Within two days, he developed an extreme headache, the worst he's ever had in his life came on with a fever. He was brought to the ER because the headache got worse, which he didn't think possible. After a battery of tests, 2 days in the hospital and one more ER visit, the acute issues from this started to subside. It was a terrible experience. After about 10 days, he started to feel a bit better and now continues to recover, resting as much as possible.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

About five and a half months ago, I felt as though I was coming down with the flu, even though I had a flu shot. I went to the doctor who diagnosed a sinus infection and put me on antibiotics. Though the sinus pressure got better, I was unbelievably exhausted no matter how much sleep I got, had muscle weakness even though I'm very fit and active. After three months of feeling awful and seeing my now former internist who did essentially nothing, I finally found an internist who asked lots of questions and ran a bunch of blood tests. She called me with the diagnosis - mono! It's now two months since the diagnosis. I've been resting a lot and am still exhausted. This illness is the worst! Hopefully I will start to feel better soon because I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment from: arlenecarm63, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I am 47 with Mono/Epstein Barr Virus. I have run a low grade fever for almost 2 months now. I am tired and ache all over. Other symptoms have been stomach pain, swollen adenoids, lower back pain, brain fog, blurry vision, dry mouth, sleepy, neck and shoulder pain. I have been off from work for the duration of the virus and now plan to return to work in a couple weeks better or not. Tired of being sick but hope I can pull off my 12 hour shifts. Infectious Disease doc said it should last 1-2 months and I'm counting on it.

Comment from: caramel wafer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

My mono started with a severe headache and flu-like symptoms. The glands in my neck were very swollen and I had a nasty rash on one arm. Two months later, the glands in my neck are still visible and I'm still tired. I feel very washed out, but I do feel a lot better.

Comment from: pippa, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

About a week before I was diagnosed, I felt an enlarged gland in my neck, but I wasn't too concerned. I was feeling really depressed and tired, but I thought it was due to stress since I'm in school. About two days later, I woke up with swollen eyelids and a swollen face. I went to the doctor who told me I had either tonsillitis or mono. The final result was mono. About two days after my diagnosis, I started to feel severe symptoms. I had a very sore throat, dry mouth and pain in the neck. I am also experiencing insomnia and depression. Generally, no one understands how I feel, so it's good to read about other's experiences here. Thank you.

Comment from: boblitt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

I caught mono at 23. I am now 64 and I just had my gall bladder and kidney stone removed. I have had stomach problems for 40 years. I have been hospitalized five times with jaundice-like fever. I get sweats every night. I'm very tired and if I do anything, I have to take a nap afterwards. I can't figure out why it's so hard to get information on the side effects of this disease.

Comment from: Germanbabby143@aol, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I had mono for about a month, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It started out feeling like a sore throat and I was coughing and sneezing like crazy. I was very tired and I never wanted to do anything. I stayed home and rested for about three weeks, and my symptoms went away, but I still have fatigue and I'm very weak. After you have it, your immune system is very weak for about six months, so you have to be very careful about who you're around. Just take it easy and soon enough you will feel a lot better.

Comment from: kimberly, Female (Patient) Published: March 17

Hello I'm a 33 year old female been ill for 10 months now. The illness first began with abdominal pain meaning stomach and bowels, also have pain under left rib cage and right rib cage, blurry vision at times, extreme fatigue, sore throat, muscle aches, and joint pains, sweats, rashes, and on again off again, have no appetite. I have lost 50 pounds. My hair is thinning and everything that comes around, I catch. I was exposed to mono when I first got ill. These symptoms are still going on. Sometimes feel like I'm getting better and the symptoms return. This is the worst I've ever been sick.

Must Read Articles Related to Mononucleosis

Peritonsillar Abscess
Peritonsillar Abscess A peritonsillar abscess forms in the tissues of the throat next to one of the tonsils. An abscess is a collection of pus that forms near an area of infected .....learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Swollen Lymph Glands Lymph nodes (part of the lymphatic system) may signal infection if they are swollen. Types of conditions that involve swollen lymph nodes include infection, vir...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your mononucleosis?