Viewer Comments: Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: sickofbeingsick, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I am a 30 year old male and I just got diagnosed with mono 2 days ago. I thought this was just something teenagers contracted from kissing, people always made jokes about it in high school but it is no laughing matter. I unfortunately did not get it from kissing, I have no idea how I contracted it. The symptoms were going on for about a month and I thought that I just had a stubborn flu but then I woke up one morning to weak to get out of bed and decided to go to the ER where I was diagnosed. The sore throats have been ridiculous, I can barely eat because of the abdominal discomfort, and the fatigue is the worst I have EVER felt in my life. I get night sweats and chills from the on-again off-again fever. I can sympathize with anyone who has caught this nasty bug as an adult. Hopefully things will get easier.

I am now 56, but I became ill with mono when I was 28 years old. My symptoms of severe sore throat, enlarged lymph nodes, and muscle and joint pain persisted for 3 months. After 3 months, I developed an enlargement of the liver, so my doctor gave my Cortizone, which I responded favorable to. In hindsight, I believe my fibromyalgia began one month after I got over mono. The muscle pain and deep tissue knots are something I live with every day.

Comment from: tessa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am a 34 year old female and was diagnosed with mono back in October. My symptoms included dizziness, headaches, sore throat, and just an overall feeling of 'being off,' or brain fog. I also had a tremendous amount of head pain in the back of head near my skull, which was I believe related to lymph node enlargement. The fatigue was incredible. For those of you who need some encouragement, I did some research on the benefits of coconut oil and mono and it has helped tremendously. I feel like a new person! Mono is a very nasty virus and can make you quite ill.

Comment from: Shadrach, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I am a 68-year-old retired nurse. The end of September 2014, I got so tired that I wished I could collapse. My doctor diagnosed mono! I have had fever, headache, severe muscle aches, marked fatigue, and I could sleep anywhere, anytime. I did not dream a woman my age could get mono. My electric blanket helps.

Comment from: Abarrow1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I am 26 and I am currently on week four of mono with bronchitis. I never had a sore throat but, I also don't have tonsils. I have had fevers and chills, then extreme sweating and vomiting. This has all been going on about 4 weeks and while I was starting to actually have some good moments, I still feel very ill.

Comment from: Femmevixen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I'm a 28 year old fit female, and this virus has done quite a number! It started with fatigue maybe five weeks ago. Especially after eating, I would feel fatigued all the time and I had a decreased appetite with nausea. The nausea went away, but when my menstrual cycle started last month the fatigue became extreme. All of a sudden I had join pain, leg stiffness, and tingling feelings in my legs and toes. I visited the doctor several times before they ran blood tests. When they took the blood I was so fatigued with back of the neck pain I almost threw up and fainted. Tests came back, all levels were normal in the body, but EBV was positive.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I went to the ENT specialist for severe sinusitis. He ran blood tests and told me I had active EBV and my neck glands swollen. That explained why I was getting fever and chills, aches and pains and feeling tired. He put me on bulk vitamins and vitamin B shots. That was about 6 weeks ago and I gradually recovered. Just last weekend I started getting what I thought was a cold. I had a sore throat, runny nose, sticky eyes, and a headache. Then I started feeling achy again. It's not as bad as last time but I hope it passes soon. I'm trying to take better care of myself.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

I was diagnosed with mono about 10 months ago. It started with abdominal pains. I got an ultrasound, and had an enlarged spleen. They then tested me for mono, and I tested positive. Five months passed, and I still had these pains. Another blood test showed that I didn't have mono anymore, but I still have the pains. A month ago, I got a CT scan because I still had these pains. All the CT showed was that my spleen was still enlarged. I have no idea if it's my body still recovering from mono. Either way, these pains are really annoying. I constantly am reminded of the pains and they give me constant anxiety. I wish this upon no one.

Must Read Articles Related to Mononucleosis

Peritonsillar Abscess
Peritonsillar Abscess A peritonsillar abscess forms in the tissues of the throat next to one of the tonsils. An abscess is a collection of pus that forms near an area of infected .....learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Swollen Lymph Glands Lymph nodes (part of the lymphatic system) may signal infection if they are swollen. Types of conditions that involve swollen lymph nodes include infection, vir...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your mononucleosis?