Viewer Comments: Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

I found out I had mono about 2 months ago. I've always slept a lot like any normal 18 year old but I had been getting so tired I would sleep for 12 hours and still be exhausted when I woke up. One morning I woke up to the worst sore throat I have ever had and very swollen glands in my neck. I went to my doctor a few days later and she immediately sent me to an ear nose and throat doctor because my tonsils were so swollen they were almost closing my throat. The ENT doctor took one look and said it was mono. I was put on steroids amoxicillin and pain medication. It hurt too much to swallow my own spit let alone any meds and all I could do was basically drool to avoid swallowing. I was brought to the emergency room. I was down to 97 pounds with no strength or energy left. Out of school and work for a month. Now 2 months later I have relapsed and am very sick again. All of the same symptoms are back and worse. Tonsils will be coming out but that won't get rid of the mono. Aches and pains and swollen glands and UTI are back. This has been the worst illness I've experienced ever. I pray it goes away but I know that won't be happening anytime soon.

Comment from: Eric, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I am 34, I suspect I have mononucleosis, also presenting swollen (really huge) tonsil in the right side only. All the pains are also on the right side. It started with acute neck and shoulder pain, mild sore throat, right tonsil exudate, and very mild fever. I felt really tired the first 4 days. I am recovering but the neck pain is the most troubling, it is almost same symptoms as of a herniated disc. Really surprises me, this asymmetry of the disease.

Comment from: sickofbeingsick, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I am a 30 year old male and I just got diagnosed with mono 2 days ago. I thought this was just something teenagers contracted from kissing, people always made jokes about it in high school but it is no laughing matter. I unfortunately did not get it from kissing, I have no idea how I contracted it. The symptoms were going on for about a month and I thought that I just had a stubborn flu but then I woke up one morning to weak to get out of bed and decided to go to the ER where I was diagnosed. The sore throats have been ridiculous, I can barely eat because of the abdominal discomfort, and the fatigue is the worst I have EVER felt in my life. I get night sweats and chills from the on-again off-again fever. I can sympathize with anyone who has caught this nasty bug as an adult. Hopefully things will get easier.

I am now 56, but I became ill with mono when I was 28 years old. My symptoms of severe sore throat, enlarged lymph nodes, and muscle and joint pain persisted for 3 months. After 3 months, I developed an enlargement of the liver, so my doctor gave my Cortizone, which I responded favorable to. In hindsight, I believe my fibromyalgia began one month after I got over mono. The muscle pain and deep tissue knots are something I live with every day.

Comment from: tessa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am a 34 year old female and was diagnosed with mono back in October. My symptoms included dizziness, headaches, sore throat, and just an overall feeling of 'being off,' or brain fog. I also had a tremendous amount of head pain in the back of head near my skull, which was I believe related to lymph node enlargement. The fatigue was incredible. For those of you who need some encouragement, I did some research on the benefits of coconut oil and mono and it has helped tremendously. I feel like a new person! Mono is a very nasty virus and can make you quite ill.

Comment from: Shadrach, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I am a 68-year-old retired nurse. The end of September 2014, I got so tired that I wished I could collapse. My doctor diagnosed mono! I have had fever, headache, severe muscle aches, marked fatigue, and I could sleep anywhere, anytime. I did not dream a woman my age could get mono. My electric blanket helps.

Comment from: Abarrow1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I am 26 and I am currently on week four of mono with bronchitis. I never had a sore throat but, I also don't have tonsils. I have had fevers and chills, then extreme sweating and vomiting. This has all been going on about 4 weeks and while I was starting to actually have some good moments, I still feel very ill.

Comment from: Femmevixen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I'm a 28 year old fit female, and this virus has done quite a number! It started with fatigue maybe five weeks ago. Especially after eating, I would feel fatigued all the time and I had a decreased appetite with nausea. The nausea went away, but when my menstrual cycle started last month the fatigue became extreme. All of a sudden I had join pain, leg stiffness, and tingling feelings in my legs and toes. I visited the doctor several times before they ran blood tests. When they took the blood I was so fatigued with back of the neck pain I almost threw up and fainted. Tests came back, all levels were normal in the body, but EBV was positive.

Must Read Articles Related to Mononucleosis

Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Swollen Lymph Glands Lymph nodes (part of the lymphatic system) may signal infection if they are swollen. Types of conditions that involve swollen lymph nodes include infection, vir...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your mononucleosis?