Viewer Comments: Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: arlenecarm63, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I am 47 with Mono/Epstein Barr Virus. I have run a low grade fever for almost 2 months now. I am tired and ache all over. Other symptoms have been stomach pain, swollen adenoids, lower back pain, brain fog, blurry vision, dry mouth, sleepy, neck and shoulder pain. I have been off from work for the duration of the virus and now plan to return to work in a couple weeks better or not. Tired of being sick but hope I can pull off my 12 hour shifts. Infectious Disease doc said it should last 1-2 months and I'm counting on it.

Comment from: caramel wafer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

My mono started with a severe headache and flu-like symptoms. The glands in my neck were very swollen and I had a nasty rash on one arm. Two months later, the glands in my neck are still visible and I'm still tired. I feel very washed out, but I do feel a lot better.

Comment from: pippa, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

About a week before I was diagnosed, I felt an enlarged gland in my neck, but I wasn't too concerned. I was feeling really depressed and tired, but I thought it was due to stress since I'm in school. About two days later, I woke up with swollen eyelids and a swollen face. I went to the doctor who told me I had either tonsillitis or mono. The final result was mono. About two days after my diagnosis, I started to feel severe symptoms. I had a very sore throat, dry mouth and pain in the neck. I am also experiencing insomnia and depression. Generally, no one understands how I feel, so it's good to read about other's experiences here. Thank you.

Comment from: boblitt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

I caught mono at 23. I am now 64 and I just had my gall bladder and kidney stone removed. I have had stomach problems for 40 years. I have been hospitalized five times with jaundice-like fever. I get sweats every night. I'm very tired and if I do anything, I have to take a nap afterwards. I can't figure out why it's so hard to get information on the side effects of this disease.

Comment from: Germanbabby143@aol, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I had mono for about a month, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It started out feeling like a sore throat and I was coughing and sneezing like crazy. I was very tired and I never wanted to do anything. I stayed home and rested for about three weeks, and my symptoms went away, but I still have fatigue and I'm very weak. After you have it, your immune system is very weak for about six months, so you have to be very careful about who you're around. Just take it easy and soon enough you will feel a lot better.

Comment from: kimberly, Female (Patient) Published: March 17

Hello I'm a 33 year old female been ill for 10 months now. The illness first began with abdominal pain meaning stomach and bowels, also have pain under left rib cage and right rib cage, blurry vision at times, extreme fatigue, sore throat, muscle aches, and joint pains, sweats, rashes, and on again off again, have no appetite. I have lost 50 pounds. My hair is thinning and everything that comes around, I catch. I was exposed to mono when I first got ill. These symptoms are still going on. Sometimes feel like I'm getting better and the symptoms return. This is the worst I've ever been sick.

Comment from: Jessica, Female (Patient) Published: February 25

Hi, I'm Jessica. I was diagnosed with the disease mono about 4 months ago. It all started with really swollen neck glands, and the pain in my throat would not go away. It was so bad, I was crying. And the next morning I went to the ER. The doctor did not know what was wrong with me, so he took 3 tubes of blood for testing. Four days later, I found out I had mono, and strep throat. I still have very bad pain, all over my stomach. It's so bad that I had to go for an ultrasound, but it turns out my spleen is swollen, so I can't do any sports for three months.

Comment from: virginiagirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I'm a female, and was 39 when I got mono. It was diagnosed with mono after-the-fact, and it's the sickest I've ever been. I didn't have the severely sore throat, but had a swollen throat, airway and vocal cords with a crazy amount of sinus drainage. It felt as if I couldn't swallow due to an obstruction, and I would stop breathing at night. I couldn't eat, resorting only to liquids for a couple of months. The sinus drainage was choking at times. I was treated for sinus infections and asthmatic reactions several times during this period, and tested for allergies (I showed positive to all but 2 allergans - later determined this was because of the undiagnosed mono - today I have few allergies). Each doctor kept treating the symptoms they were familiar with, with long-term oral and inhaled steroids, antibiotics, and rest. I had several of them tell me "it's only stress, and you're imagining the symptoms." In total, I was down for over 3 months, and could barely leave the house. I had to wear a surgical mask when I walked outside because the allergens would cause breathing problems. It took several months for the lymph nodes around my throat to go down. I was not tested for EBV at all during that period, but I had been tested a year earlier in late 2006 -- EBV was negative at that time. In 2009 my tests show I've been positive for EBV, so I assume it was during the period I describe above. Two years later my immune system hasn't recovered, and I'm starting weekly gamma globulin infusions to help.

Must Read Articles Related to Mononucleosis

Peritonsillar Abscess
Peritonsillar Abscess A peritonsillar abscess forms in the tissues of the throat next to one of the tonsils. An abscess is a collection of pus that forms near an area of infected .....learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Swollen Lymph Glands Lymph nodes (part of the lymphatic system) may signal infection if they are swollen. Types of conditions that involve swollen lymph nodes include infection, vir...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your mononucleosis?