Viewer Comments: Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Abarrow1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I am 26 and I am currently on week four of mono with bronchitis. I never had a sore throat but, I also don't have tonsils. I have had fevers and chills, then extreme sweating and vomiting. This has all been going on about 4 weeks and while I was starting to actually have some good moments, I still feel very ill.

Comment from: Femmevixen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I'm a 28 year old fit female, and this virus has done quite a number! It started with fatigue maybe five weeks ago. Especially after eating, I would feel fatigued all the time and I had a decreased appetite with nausea. The nausea went away, but when my menstrual cycle started last month the fatigue became extreme. All of a sudden I had join pain, leg stiffness, and tingling feelings in my legs and toes. I visited the doctor several times before they ran blood tests. When they took the blood I was so fatigued with back of the neck pain I almost threw up and fainted. Tests came back, all levels were normal in the body, but EBV was positive.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I went to the ENT specialist for severe sinusitis. He ran blood tests and told me I had active EBV and my neck glands swollen. That explained why I was getting fever and chills, aches and pains and feeling tired. He put me on bulk vitamins and vitamin B shots. That was about 6 weeks ago and I gradually recovered. Just last weekend I started getting what I thought was a cold. I had a sore throat, runny nose, sticky eyes, and a headache. Then I started feeling achy again. It's not as bad as last time but I hope it passes soon. I'm trying to take better care of myself.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

I was diagnosed with mono about 10 months ago. It started with abdominal pains. I got an ultrasound, and had an enlarged spleen. They then tested me for mono, and I tested positive. Five months passed, and I still had these pains. Another blood test showed that I didn't have mono anymore, but I still have the pains. A month ago, I got a CT scan because I still had these pains. All the CT showed was that my spleen was still enlarged. I have no idea if it's my body still recovering from mono. Either way, these pains are really annoying. I constantly am reminded of the pains and they give me constant anxiety. I wish this upon no one.

Comment from: Amanda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I am 30, and after three weeks of feeling down, I just found out I have mono. I was really tired and had headaches more than normal. I woke up one morning to my body being so swollen, it hurt to move. I went to the ER where they told me I had an allergic reaction to Macrobid, a medication I had been prescribed four days before for a UTI. Amazingly, the doctor told me that it wasn't his job to diagnose me and that it was his job to make sure I wasn't going to die that day. I went to see my doctor. I was sick as a dog, but it was no big deal to her. She was just going to send me home until I insisted that something be done. She tells me she is a physician, not God! Today I went to a new doctor and within 30 minutes, he told me I had mono. So far my symptoms have been swelling of my body, mainly my hands, fatigue, and headaches.

Comment from: Mamaof5, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I just found out today that I have mono. I'm a 33 year old female. A few days ago I was cooking and out of nowhere I got a sore throat. The next day I still had it, it seemed worst, and then I started vomiting, quite a few times. I got hot flashes and then would be downright cold to the point of freezing. As the days went on I realized that my throat hurt unbearably and I have had strep throat quite a few times. I went to the doctor, they took a swab of my throat to check for strep, a substance came out that was bloody and pussy. I just knew it was strep, she took a blood test too and lo and behold it's mono. I feel depressed about it.

Comment from: 12315, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

I'm 15 and I have mono. My lymph glands are swollen and my throat is sore. My tonsils are all white and they hurt badly. I have a high fever and I can barely sleep. I hope this will be over soon. I'm taking medication for pain and resting and drinking a lot of water. I've also been drinking hot tea and eating chicken noodle soup. They both really soothe the pain.

Must Read Articles Related to Mononucleosis

Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Swollen Lymph Glands Lymph nodes (part of the lymphatic system) may signal infection if they are swollen. Types of conditions that involve swollen lymph nodes include infection, vir...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your mononucleosis?