Viewer Comments: Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Jessica, Female (Patient) Published: February 25

Hi, I'm Jessica. I was diagnosed with the disease mono about 4 months ago. It all started with really swollen neck glands, and the pain in my throat would not go away. It was so bad, I was crying. And the next morning I went to the ER. The doctor did not know what was wrong with me, so he took 3 tubes of blood for testing. Four days later, I found out I had mono, and strep throat. I still have very bad pain, all over my stomach. It's so bad that I had to go for an ultrasound, but it turns out my spleen is swollen, so I can't do any sports for three months.

Comment from: virginiagirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I'm a female, and was 39 when I got mono. It was diagnosed with mono after-the-fact, and it's the sickest I've ever been. I didn't have the severely sore throat, but had a swollen throat, airway and vocal cords with a crazy amount of sinus drainage. It felt as if I couldn't swallow due to an obstruction, and I would stop breathing at night. I couldn't eat, resorting only to liquids for a couple of months. The sinus drainage was choking at times. I was treated for sinus infections and asthmatic reactions several times during this period, and tested for allergies (I showed positive to all but 2 allergans - later determined this was because of the undiagnosed mono - today I have few allergies). Each doctor kept treating the symptoms they were familiar with, with long-term oral and inhaled steroids, antibiotics, and rest. I had several of them tell me "it's only stress, and you're imagining the symptoms." In total, I was down for over 3 months, and could barely leave the house. I had to wear a surgical mask when I walked outside because the allergens would cause breathing problems. It took several months for the lymph nodes around my throat to go down. I was not tested for EBV at all during that period, but I had been tested a year earlier in late 2006 -- EBV was negative at that time. In 2009 my tests show I've been positive for EBV, so I assume it was during the period I describe above. Two years later my immune system hasn't recovered, and I'm starting weekly gamma globulin infusions to help.

Comment from: KeepThe Faith, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I am writing this to offer encouragement to anyone suffering from mono for longer than normal. I am a 52-year-old male. I came down with a sore throat and fever about 2 years ago. At first I had a great deal of fatigue but it slowly improved over the course of the year. During that time I did not rest or take care of myself. Just when I thought it was over (1 year later) WHAM! My lymph nodes got painful, malaise, fatigue, head and ear pain with tinnitus, and an overall "swollen" head feeling hit me hard. I went back to my doctor and checked positive for EBV & CMV. Apparently, I had one or both for some time and just ran myself down, not allowing my body time and rest to heal. My primary care physician also consulted with a hematologist to corroborate his diagnosis. I am slowly recovering as I have dug a huge hole for myself. Mono can affect you for much longer than the "textbooks" say depending on a lot of variables. My symptoms are slowly improving; they are changing like the hands of a clock, but getting a little better every week. If this describes you, don't lose your faith. Do what your doctor tells you. You WILL get better. It takes rest, low stress, plenty of fluids and most of all, time and patience.

Comment from: numberlnan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

Just before Christmas I went to the doctor and found out that I have mono. I had gone to 4 doctors and all said I was depressed, etc. Finally had a mono spot done and bam! Mono. My doctor did not really tell me anything other than her nurse calling with the results. I still feel horrible very tired, headaches, and now I am getting horrible pains just beneath my rib cage. I am a 58 yr old grandmother who got Mono. No clue on how - that's what bothers me. But I guess I will have to pursue this on my own because the doctor did not give me any information.

Comment from: cayenne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

Two weeks ago I was admitted into the hospital with severe chills, high temperature and weakness. They diagnosed me with acute mononucleosis, c. diff, MRSA and a urinary tract infection. I was very sick and had no appetite. I stayed in the hospital for 5 days with antibiotics and fluids dripping into my veins. I have been home now for a week and now have enlarged lymph nodes in my neck and head, plus my throat is swelling shut. I can barely swallow water and pills. I'm afraid I will choke on my food so am I am not eating.

Comment from: Worried Mom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

My 10 year old daughter was diagnosed with mono just last week. She had been sick for about 3 weeks previously. One morning she was so weak that she passed out in the shower. I took her to the doctor and insisted blood tests be run. They were run for everything but mono. A week later when she could hardly swallow, eat, or talk, I took her to the doctor again and this time they ran the test for mono, which back as acute positive. She has missed a lot of school and still tires easily, but at least we finally know why.

Comment from: mitch, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I got strep throat at the end of May and I was given antibiotics. Three days later, it was so much worse that when I swallowed the water came out of my nose my throat was so closed up, I was admitted to hospital and given steroids, morphine and serious antibiotics. 5 days after antibiotics I developed another sore throat. Testing was positive for glandular fever. I have since been on antibiotics several times for throat infections and they keep coming back. Now am on permanent antibiotics until I see an ENT specialist at end of October. Meanwhile, I do not have sore throat but all lymph nodes are swollen tender and very painful especially one side of neck and also groin area. The fatigue is even worse and I can never get enough sleep. Even if I sleep 10 hours a night, I'm still exhausted. I have to nap for couple of hours before picking up kids and an hour later, my legs and arms are so weak from standing and just doing things that I have to rest again. I am on antidepressants also now.

Must Read Articles Related to Mononucleosis

Peritonsillar Abscess
Peritonsillar Abscess A peritonsillar abscess forms in the tissues of the throat next to one of the tonsils. An abscess is a collection of pus that forms near an area of infected .....learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Swollen Lymph Glands Lymph nodes (part of the lymphatic system) may signal infection if they are swollen. Types of conditions that involve swollen lymph nodes include infection, vir...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your mononucleosis?