Viewer Comments: Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: KeepThe Faith, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I am writing this to offer encouragement to anyone suffering from mono for longer than normal. I am a 52-year-old male. I came down with a sore throat and fever about 2 years ago. At first I had a great deal of fatigue but it slowly improved over the course of the year. During that time I did not rest or take care of myself. Just when I thought it was over (1 year later) WHAM! My lymph nodes got painful, malaise, fatigue, head and ear pain with tinnitus, and an overall "swollen" head feeling hit me hard. I went back to my doctor and checked positive for EBV & CMV. Apparently, I had one or both for some time and just ran myself down, not allowing my body time and rest to heal. My primary care physician also consulted with a hematologist to corroborate his diagnosis. I am slowly recovering as I have dug a huge hole for myself. Mono can affect you for much longer than the "textbooks" say depending on a lot of variables. My symptoms are slowly improving; they are changing like the hands of a clock, but getting a little better every week. If this describes you, don't lose your faith. Do what your doctor tells you. You WILL get better. It takes rest, low stress, plenty of fluids and most of all, time and patience.

Comment from: numberlnan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

Just before Christmas I went to the doctor and found out that I have mono. I had gone to 4 doctors and all said I was depressed, etc. Finally had a mono spot done and bam! Mono. My doctor did not really tell me anything other than her nurse calling with the results. I still feel horrible very tired, headaches, and now I am getting horrible pains just beneath my rib cage. I am a 58 yr old grandmother who got Mono. No clue on how - that's what bothers me. But I guess I will have to pursue this on my own because the doctor did not give me any information.

Comment from: cayenne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

Two weeks ago I was admitted into the hospital with severe chills, high temperature and weakness. They diagnosed me with acute mononucleosis, c. diff, MRSA and a urinary tract infection. I was very sick and had no appetite. I stayed in the hospital for 5 days with antibiotics and fluids dripping into my veins. I have been home now for a week and now have enlarged lymph nodes in my neck and head, plus my throat is swelling shut. I can barely swallow water and pills. I'm afraid I will choke on my food so am I am not eating.

Comment from: Worried Mom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

My 10 year old daughter was diagnosed with mono just last week. She had been sick for about 3 weeks previously. One morning she was so weak that she passed out in the shower. I took her to the doctor and insisted blood tests be run. They were run for everything but mono. A week later when she could hardly swallow, eat, or talk, I took her to the doctor again and this time they ran the test for mono, which back as acute positive. She has missed a lot of school and still tires easily, but at least we finally know why.

Comment from: mitch, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I got strep throat at the end of May and I was given antibiotics. Three days later, it was so much worse that when I swallowed the water came out of my nose my throat was so closed up, I was admitted to hospital and given steroids, morphine and serious antibiotics. 5 days after antibiotics I developed another sore throat. Testing was positive for glandular fever. I have since been on antibiotics several times for throat infections and they keep coming back. Now am on permanent antibiotics until I see an ENT specialist at end of October. Meanwhile, I do not have sore throat but all lymph nodes are swollen tender and very painful especially one side of neck and also groin area. The fatigue is even worse and I can never get enough sleep. Even if I sleep 10 hours a night, I'm still exhausted. I have to nap for couple of hours before picking up kids and an hour later, my legs and arms are so weak from standing and just doing things that I have to rest again. I am on antidepressants also now.

Related Reading: morphine

Comment from: Shake1228, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

Mono/Epstein Barr -- I'm a 55 year old, active and fit female. Thought I was battling a flu bug on and off for a couple weeks. Fever, sweats, chills, loss of appetite, fuzzy thought process, body aches, fatigue. One day couldn't get out of bed to save my life. Finally went to my doctor. Mono? Seriously at my age? Jokes abound of course, but if you've had this you know it's no laughing matter. I have never been so miserable and if you have never had it I hope you never get the experience. I have always thought of myself as a fighter. This has shown me that I am pretty much a wussy cry baby! Finally after two weeks feeling half way human and finally awake more than not, but still have a minimum 2 week recovery.

Comment from: ladybug54, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I am a 56 year old female with auto immune disease and I was diagnosed with Mono about 1 month ago. I am having all the symptoms but the most difficult is the acute anxiety attacks and the fatigue. My eyes were very yellow that's what brought me to the doctors and my urine was very dark we thought at first it was my liver. I have no idea how I contacted this but it is worst than Dermatomyositis that I have.

Must Read Articles Related to Mononucleosis

Peritonsillar Abscess
Peritonsillar Abscess A peritonsillar abscess forms in the tissues of the throat next to one of the tonsils. An abscess is a collection of pus that forms near an area of infected .....learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Swollen Lymph Glands Lymph nodes (part of the lymphatic system) may signal infection if they are swollen. Types of conditions that involve swollen lymph nodes include infection, vir...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your mononucleosis?