Viewer Comments: Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I had mono when I was 17, with typical symptoms. Now I'm 46 and I'm sick with EBV infection again. Whether a recurrence, a flare-up or something new, the whole EBV panel shows I have mono. I got sick just after my youngest daughter got mono, and I thought it was a cold. Then I started sleeping excessively and was getting migraines. The headaches got worse and I kept getting more stuffy and more tired. 3 weeks later I now have a sore throat but no real swollen glands or fever. The headaches are my biggest issue. I have fibromyalgia, spine issues, frozen shoulder and general chronic pain disorder so any viral infection flares up my pain. The doctor said if symptoms are still there in a week they will try an anti-viral medicine. He also plans to monitor the EBV panel through labs over the next year to help clearly determine what my status is with this virus. Feel better everyone.

Comment from: Jesse, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I'm a 33 year old female. I have been feeling tired for nearly a month now. I've been battling to get out of bed. Terrible headaches, upset stomach, vomiting, swollen glands, sudden fevers and chills, sore throat… I got my results it clearly showed that I have had mononucleosis before (without knowing it) and that is currently active in my system. They have no idea how long I will be sick. I have been on the antibiotics for seven days. Today, most of the symptoms have gone but I feel very tired. I have returned to work today. After half days at work my headaches are back and I have a stiff neck. The tiredness is the worst. Don't know how I'm going to get through a whole day. I should have stayed in bed for at least one more week but I have no more sick leave. Hope nobody else gets it from me. I stay clear of everybody. I try to take in as much fluids as I can. This is not a nice illness to have and the fact that nobody knows for how long I will be sick does not help much.

Comment from: Stacey, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 23

My 40-year-old husband started with body aches and being very tired. Within two days, he developed an extreme headache, the worst he's ever had in his life came on with a fever. He was brought to the ER because the headache got worse, which he didn't think possible. After a battery of tests, 2 days in the hospital and one more ER visit, the acute issues from this started to subside. It was a terrible experience. After about 10 days, he started to feel a bit better and now continues to recover, resting as much as possible.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

About five and a half months ago, I felt as though I was coming down with the flu, even though I had a flu shot. I went to the doctor who diagnosed a sinus infection and put me on antibiotics. Though the sinus pressure got better, I was unbelievably exhausted no matter how much sleep I got, had muscle weakness even though I'm very fit and active. After three months of feeling awful and seeing my now former internist who did essentially nothing, I finally found an internist who asked lots of questions and ran a bunch of blood tests. She called me with the diagnosis - mono! It's now two months since the diagnosis. I've been resting a lot and am still exhausted. This illness is the worst! Hopefully I will start to feel better soon because I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment from: arlenecarm63, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I am 47 with Mono/Epstein Barr Virus. I have run a low grade fever for almost 2 months now. I am tired and ache all over. Other symptoms have been stomach pain, swollen adenoids, lower back pain, brain fog, blurry vision, dry mouth, sleepy, neck and shoulder pain. I have been off from work for the duration of the virus and now plan to return to work in a couple weeks better or not. Tired of being sick but hope I can pull off my 12 hour shifts. Infectious Disease doc said it should last 1-2 months and I'm counting on it.

Comment from: caramel wafer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

My mono started with a severe headache and flu-like symptoms. The glands in my neck were very swollen and I had a nasty rash on one arm. Two months later, the glands in my neck are still visible and I'm still tired. I feel very washed out, but I do feel a lot better.

Comment from: pippa, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

About a week before I was diagnosed, I felt an enlarged gland in my neck, but I wasn't too concerned. I was feeling really depressed and tired, but I thought it was due to stress since I'm in school. About two days later, I woke up with swollen eyelids and a swollen face. I went to the doctor who told me I had either tonsillitis or mono. The final result was mono. About two days after my diagnosis, I started to feel severe symptoms. I had a very sore throat, dry mouth and pain in the neck. I am also experiencing insomnia and depression. Generally, no one understands how I feel, so it's good to read about other's experiences here. Thank you.

Must Read Articles Related to Mononucleosis

Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Swollen Lymph Glands Lymph nodes (part of the lymphatic system) may signal infection if they are swollen. Types of conditions that involve swollen lymph nodes include infection, vir...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your mononucleosis?