Viewer Comments: Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Dixie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was so tired, rather exhausted that I could not get out of bed. I really thought my fibromyalgia was flaring up. I slept all day and night and still felt just as exhausted the next day. The doctor did a monospot test and it was positive. I also had an ultrasound which showed my spleen was somewhat enlarged. I am to be out of work for about a month. It takes all of my energy to get up and shower. I am trying to "hang in there" but this sickness is kicking my butt"! I think this is a relapse from when I was sick in December. The doctor thought it was the flu even though it didn't show up as the flu. I felt just like this. I got really stressed and overtired in January and I think it just jumped back on me but worse this time!

Comment from: shocked2010, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

Christmas day of 09, I woke up ill with a severe sore throat, fever and what I thought was flu type symptoms. I went to the doctors the next day and was diagnosed with strep throat. Immediately I was put on an antibiotic for 10 days. I started to feel better however about a week later my throat and neck began to hurt. I thought it was the strep coming back and made another doctors appointment two weeks later. They ran some test and told me I had mono. I never would have thought I could get something like this. It is very painful for me and I am tired all the time.

Comment from: vivule, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 16

Before I was diagnosed with mono, I had fatigue, headaches for a short period of time and rash(itch).

Comment from: Becky, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

My fever started in June and has not gone away. I have no energy and try to stay out of bed just to keep myself going. Have no appetite and have lost pounds. I am 72. Doc said it is Mono.

Must Read Articles Related to Mononucleosis

Peritonsillar Abscess
Peritonsillar Abscess A peritonsillar abscess forms in the tissues of the throat next to one of the tonsils. An abscess is a collection of pus that forms near an area of infected .....learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Swollen Lymph Glands Lymph nodes (part of the lymphatic system) may signal infection if they are swollen. Types of conditions that involve swollen lymph nodes include infection, vir...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your mononucleosis?