Viewer Comments: Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

...
Comment from: madrilenya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I´m 38 years old. I was diagnosed with mono about 2 weeks ago though I had symptoms for one month before that. My doctor told me that I was also exhausted. My symptoms were swollen lymph nodes in my groin and on one side of my neck, plus one swollen node under my chin. I had fever and bad headaches for about 3 days and general malaise for two weeks. I was depressed, my eyes were more sensitive to the light and I had a little cough but no sore throat at all. I was relieved when my doctor told me that mono is not serious and very common. Now the nodes are going down very well but I have funny sensations in my neck sometimes. I suffer patchy spells of extreme tiredness which I recognize as not normal because I´m very fit and active. I get shivers if I´m in an air conditioned room when other people are fine. Occasionally I feel nauseous after eating. A medical student friend tells me that you can get mono from drinking from a dirty glass, or even a dentist!! I feel I´m getting better and I eat tons of fish, salads and fruit as always, but my recovery is much slower than I expected. I´m glad to read that it´s ok not to be 100% fit after 6 weeks because I started to worry. Your page has helped.

I found out I had mono about 2 months ago. I've always slept a lot like any normal 18 year old but I had been getting so tired I would sleep for 12 hours and still be exhausted when I woke up. One morning I woke up to the worst sore throat I have ever had and very swollen glands in my neck. I went to my doctor a few days later and she immediately sent me to an ear nose and throat doctor because my tonsils were so swollen they were almost closing my throat. The ENT doctor took one look and said it was mono. I was put on steroids amoxicillin and pain medication. It hurt too much to swallow my own spit let alone any meds and all I could do was basically drool to avoid swallowing. I was brought to the emergency room. I was down to 97 pounds with no strength or energy left. Out of school and work for a month. Now 2 months later I have relapsed and am very sick again. All of the same symptoms are back and worse. Tonsils will be coming out but that won't get rid of the mono. Aches and pains and swollen glands and UTI are back. This has been the worst illness I've experienced ever. I pray it goes away but I know that won't be happening anytime soon.

Comment from: sickofbeingsick, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I am a 30 year old male and I just got diagnosed with mono 2 days ago. I thought this was just something teenagers contracted from kissing, people always made jokes about it in high school but it is no laughing matter. I unfortunately did not get it from kissing, I have no idea how I contracted it. The symptoms were going on for about a month and I thought that I just had a stubborn flu but then I woke up one morning to weak to get out of bed and decided to go to the ER where I was diagnosed. The sore throats have been ridiculous, I can barely eat because of the abdominal discomfort, and the fatigue is the worst I have EVER felt in my life. I get night sweats and chills from the on-again off-again fever. I can sympathize with anyone who has caught this nasty bug as an adult. Hopefully things will get easier.

I am now 56, but I became ill with mono when I was 28 years old. My symptoms of severe sore throat, enlarged lymph nodes, and muscle and joint pain persisted for 3 months. After 3 months, I developed an enlargement of the liver, so my doctor gave my Cortizone, which I responded favorable to. In hindsight, I believe my fibromyalgia began one month after I got over mono. The muscle pain and deep tissue knots are something I live with every day.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I went to the ENT specialist for severe sinusitis. He ran blood tests and told me I had active EBV and my neck glands swollen. That explained why I was getting fever and chills, aches and pains and feeling tired. He put me on bulk vitamins and vitamin B shots. That was about 6 weeks ago and I gradually recovered. Just last weekend I started getting what I thought was a cold. I had a sore throat, runny nose, sticky eyes, and a headache. Then I started feeling achy again. It's not as bad as last time but I hope it passes soon. I'm trying to take better care of myself.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

I was diagnosed with mono about 10 months ago. It started with abdominal pains. I got an ultrasound, and had an enlarged spleen. They then tested me for mono, and I tested positive. Five months passed, and I still had these pains. Another blood test showed that I didn't have mono anymore, but I still have the pains. A month ago, I got a CT scan because I still had these pains. All the CT showed was that my spleen was still enlarged. I have no idea if it's my body still recovering from mono. Either way, these pains are really annoying. I constantly am reminded of the pains and they give me constant anxiety. I wish this upon no one.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Mononucleosis

Peritonsillar Abscess
Peritonsillar Abscess A peritonsillar abscess forms in the tissues of the throat next to one of the tonsils. An abscess is a collection of pus that forms near an area of infected .....learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Swollen Lymph Glands Lymph nodes (part of the lymphatic system) may signal infection if they are swollen. Types of conditions that involve swollen lymph nodes include infection, vir...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your mononucleosis?