Viewer Comments: Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis (mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

...
Comment from: madrilenya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I´m 38 years old. I was diagnosed with mono about 2 weeks ago though I had symptoms for one month before that. My doctor told me that I was also exhausted. My symptoms were swollen lymph nodes in my groin and on one side of my neck, plus one swollen node under my chin. I had fever and bad headaches for about 3 days and general malaise for two weeks. I was depressed, my eyes were more sensitive to the light and I had a little cough but no sore throat at all. I was relieved when my doctor told me that mono is not serious and very common. Now the nodes are going down very well but I have funny sensations in my neck sometimes. I suffer patchy spells of extreme tiredness which I recognize as not normal because I´m very fit and active. I get shivers if I´m in an air conditioned room when other people are fine. Occasionally I feel nauseous after eating. A medical student friend tells me that you can get mono from drinking from a dirty glass, or even a dentist!! I feel I´m getting better and I eat tons of fish, salads and fruit as always, but my recovery is much slower than I expected. I´m glad to read that it´s ok not to be 100% fit after 6 weeks because I started to worry. Your page has helped.

I found out I had mono about 2 months ago. I've always slept a lot like any normal 18 year old but I had been getting so tired I would sleep for 12 hours and still be exhausted when I woke up. One morning I woke up to the worst sore throat I have ever had and very swollen glands in my neck. I went to my doctor a few days later and she immediately sent me to an ear nose and throat doctor because my tonsils were so swollen they were almost closing my throat. The ENT doctor took one look and said it was mono. I was put on steroids amoxicillin and pain medication. It hurt too much to swallow my own spit let alone any meds and all I could do was basically drool to avoid swallowing. I was brought to the emergency room. I was down to 97 pounds with no strength or energy left. Out of school and work for a month. Now 2 months later I have relapsed and am very sick again. All of the same symptoms are back and worse. Tonsils will be coming out but that won't get rid of the mono. Aches and pains and swollen glands and UTI are back. This has been the worst illness I've experienced ever. I pray it goes away but I know that won't be happening anytime soon.

Related Reading: amoxicillin

Comment from: sickofbeingsick, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I am a 30 year old male and I just got diagnosed with mono 2 days ago. I thought this was just something teenagers contracted from kissing, people always made jokes about it in high school but it is no laughing matter. I unfortunately did not get it from kissing, I have no idea how I contracted it. The symptoms were going on for about a month and I thought that I just had a stubborn flu but then I woke up one morning to weak to get out of bed and decided to go to the ER where I was diagnosed. The sore throats have been ridiculous, I can barely eat because of the abdominal discomfort, and the fatigue is the worst I have EVER felt in my life. I get night sweats and chills from the on-again off-again fever. I can sympathize with anyone who has caught this nasty bug as an adult. Hopefully things will get easier.

I am now 56, but I became ill with mono when I was 28 years old. My symptoms of severe sore throat, enlarged lymph nodes, and muscle and joint pain persisted for 3 months. After 3 months, I developed an enlargement of the liver, so my doctor gave my Cortizone, which I responded favorable to. In hindsight, I believe my fibromyalgia began one month after I got over mono. The muscle pain and deep tissue knots are something I live with every day.

Comment from: Amanda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I am 30, and after three weeks of feeling down, I just found out I have mono. I was really tired and had headaches more than normal. I woke up one morning to my body being so swollen, it hurt to move. I went to the ER where they told me I had an allergic reaction to Macrobid, a medication I had been prescribed four days before for a UTI. Amazingly, the doctor told me that it wasn't his job to diagnose me and that it was his job to make sure I wasn't going to die that day. I went to see my doctor. I was sick as a dog, but it was no big deal to her. She was just going to send me home until I insisted that something be done. She tells me she is a physician, not God! Today I went to a new doctor and within 30 minutes, he told me I had mono. So far my symptoms have been swelling of my body, mainly my hands, fatigue, and headaches.

Comment from: Mamaof5, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I just found out today that I have mono. I'm a 33 year old female. A few days ago I was cooking and out of nowhere I got a sore throat. The next day I still had it, it seemed worst, and then I started vomiting, quite a few times. I got hot flashes and then would be downright cold to the point of freezing. As the days went on I realized that my throat hurt unbearably and I have had strep throat quite a few times. I went to the doctor, they took a swab of my throat to check for strep, a substance came out that was bloody and pussy. I just knew it was strep, she took a blood test too and lo and behold it's mono. I feel depressed about it.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Mononucleosis

Peritonsillar Abscess
Peritonsillar Abscess A peritonsillar abscess forms in the tissues of the throat next to one of the tonsils. An abscess is a collection of pus that forms near an area of infected .....learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Swollen Lymph Glands Lymph nodes (part of the lymphatic system) may signal infection if they are swollen. Types of conditions that involve swollen lymph nodes include infection, vir...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis:

Mononucleosis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your mononucleosis?