Mountain Sickness (cont.)
What self-care or home remedies soothe or cure altitude sickness?
- Delay further ascent until symptoms improve.
- Rest and stay warm.
- Take acetaminophen (Tylenol) for headache.
- Do not use sleeping pills or other central nervous system depressants to treat insomnia because they can suppress breathing.
If symptoms continue, do not travel any higher and consider descending to a
- If symptoms worsen, descend approximately 1,000-2,000 feet (300-600 meters) immediately.
- If descent is not possible, a portable hyperbaric chamber (Gamow bag) can be used to simulate a lower altitude.
- The higher the altitude at which a hyperbaric chamber is used, the greater the apparent descent can be simulated. (This is because portable hyperbaric chambers can increase atmospheric pressure by 2 pounds per square inch.)
- For example, a hyperbaric chamber at 9,800 feet (3,000 meters) can simulate a descent of 4,800 feet (1,500 meters), but the same hyperbaric chamber used at 24,600 feet (7,500 meters) can simulate a descent of 7,800 feet (2,400 meters).
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/15/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Mountain Sickness
Dizziness may be a minor problem, or could be something life-threatening. Causes of dizziness include high blood pressure, low blood pressure, heart problems, ...learn more >>
Edema, or the abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues in the body can be caused by several factors. Treatment of edema depends on the cause of the edema.learn more >>
Fatigue is a common health complaint by individuals. Fatigue is also referred to as feeling weary, tired, exhausted, lethargic, and a lack of energy. There are ...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Altitude Sickness (Mountain Sickness):