Viewer Comments: MRSA - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about MRSA:

MRSA - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with MRSA.

...

I developed MRSA after I scratched what I thought was a pimple on my right buttock. Two days later, I got this huge lump at the area where the pimple was. The following day, I went to our Immediate Medical Center and was started on Bactrim. I was told to hot-pack the lesion. After I hot-packed the lesion, the infection spread like wild fire. The following day, I was unable to walk because my entire buttock was purple, full of pus, and extremely painful. My primary care doctor sent me right to the hospital where my surgeon performed emergency surgery on me. I now have an 8-inch surgical incision that has been laid open so it can heal from the inside out. The wound is now about 3/4 inch deep and 2 inches wide since it has healed somewhat thanks to the "Wound Pump" I will be wearing for at least another three weeks. I was hospitalized and given massive doses of antibiotics and will be on antibiotics for another three to four weeks, or more if necessary. My surgeon told me that he had seen many cases of this sort, but none that compared to the amount of necrotic tissue and pus he had to remove from me.

Comment from: Old Man Walking., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I had Da Vinci surgery to remove a cancerous prostate. About a month later I started getting boils in the area of my upper thighs and crotch. It developed very fast and became painful. I went to my dermatologist. They took a culture and determined that I had MRSA. He gave me a prescription for Minocycline. 100 mil two times a day. Also, prescribed a bacterium salve o put in my nose three times a day. He instructed me to take a bath in bleach water (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup per tub for 15 minutes each day for a month. The MRSA cleared up in one month. On April 20, 2014 it returned with a vengeance. In the evening I noticed a small pimple on my right thigh. By the next morning I had four full blown painful boils. I'm back on the same regiment as before. After one day of the antibiotics the boils are improving.

Comment from: anon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

It started out as a large, fluid-filled area under my scalp. That quickly turned into large, painful nodules all over my scalp that rupture then ulcerate. I was prescribed cephalexin at urgent care, which didn't help at all. Went to see a dermatologist who prescribed a two-month course of doxycycline. After no improvement in my condition 1 month into treatment, I was advised to discontinue the doxy and a punch biopsy/culture were performed. Culture came back as MRSA. Derm wanted to put me back on doxy because the strain should be susceptible to tetracyclines. However, since doxy didn't work in the 30-days I had been on it, I consulted my primary who put me on a 10-day course of clindamycin. I started running constant low-grade fevers, so my primary doctor sent me to the ER where I was told there were no other oral antibiotics I could take (I have a sulfa allergy), but that I wasn't "acute" enough to warrant IV antibiotics and refused to treat me. Where does that leave me? I have had this infection for over four months now, no antibiotic has even touched it, I'm losing all my hair, I'm terrified to even hug my kids but I can't find anyone willing to help me.

Comment from: None, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I had a rash on my ankle with intense stabbing pain and ache. After a month I went to the doctor and was visually diagnosed with MRSA. I was given 10-day sulfur antibiotic. I keep the site bandaged and use a cotton swab to debride a bit after shower, which hurts a lot. It is better now, but I assume healing time must be long.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 04

My son is going through round two of this, and is in the hospital currently. Two years ago he had osteomyelitis and had to have his bone scraped and tissue removed. During recovery the antibiotics were not working and it was found that it was MRSA. He was on IV antibiotics for eight weeks. Today IV antibiotics were started again. They are still draining the infected site and talking about possibly another surgery tomorrow. I am reading all I can about this.

Comment from: Hil10, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I probably contracted MRSA on a trip to the emergency room at a NYC hospital a few years ago. My first outbreak was a pimple on my chest that grew large enough for my doctor to drain and pack with iodine. It cleared up in a week or so and I was given a tube of clindamycin cream to apply. In subsequent appearances of large, red pimples, I applied the clindamycin and the pimples slowly disappeared. I was particularly careful with apparent MRSA in my ear and close to my eye. Recently, an outbreak developed unnoticed behind my scrotum and grew large, red and eventually painful. Waiting to see my doctor, I applied clindamycin. On the next day, the infection broke through the skin and some blood and pus drained out. I continued the clindamycin and the swelling shrank but never fully disappeared. Because I take prednisone on a regular monthly cycle, I am more susceptible to these infections which occur a few times each year. If I spot them early enough, clindamycin cures them quickly. This appears to be the procedure of choice.

Published: December 27

About 14 months ago I was bitten by a spider. I was put on antibiotics and steroids. It healed, but about a week after I finished the antibiotics, I got three pimples on the back of my leg. I went back to the doctor got more medicine. Then about a week after I finished those antibiotics, the same thing happened again, but the spots were also on my back. This went on until I had to visit the ER one weekend because I was in so much pain. They lanced and swabbed one of the sores. When I went back to my family doctor the following Monday, the results were back: MRSA.

...

Must Read Articles Related to MRSA Infection

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about MRSA:

MRSA - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your MRSA?

MRSA - Treatment

What was the treatment for your MRSA?