Viewer Comments: MRSA - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about MRSA:

MRSA - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with MRSA.

Comment from: disturbed, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I have 6 month follow-up checks after having a cancerous tumor removed from my ureter. Each time I went to the hospital they checked for MRSA. All were negative until April. I developed a cyst in the groin area, had it checked and MRSA was present, but no treatment was given.

Comment from: granneycoyote, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 20

My son-in-law has had MRSA sores off and on for some time. Sometimes he would seek medical help at the ER when one gets really bad. Not having any insurance or Medicaid, regular medical treatment was not an option. Last week my son-in-law died at age 50 after having a heart attack and stroke on both sides of his brain. They found a staph spot on his heart, which meant that his heart was pumping the infection all thru his body. He recovered from the coma caused by the stroke, but the infection took his life.

Comment from: berry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I had MRSA which developed into a critical stage. I spent 3 years and thousands of dollars trying to find out why I was ill. I was diagnosed with a sinus infection that would not go away. Eventually I fell into a coma and nearly died. I spent the better part of a year in the hospital. When I got out of the hospital I found out that my joints, heart, blood, and nervous system had all been affected by the MRSA. It has been 3 years since that time and I have had 4 relapses, as if appears this bacteria goes dormant and likes to rear its ugly head on occasion. I have had to learn to walk again, I have now developed diabetes, and I never have a day without pain since getting this infection. I worry about who touches me and where I go. I will never recover to the health I had before getting this, but feel lucky because I have heard or know many others that have died due to either the infection or complications of MRSA.

Comment from: MissEmma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I contracted MRSA after having surgery for a brain tumour and trigeminal neuralgia. The hospital actually sent me home before checking blood test results I had for a fever and sickness after my operation, and then the hospital frantically phoned 24 hours later to get me to come in to be readmitted!

Comment from: sheri5409, Female (Caregiver) Published: April 20

My 34 year old son in law was hospitalized with pneumonia, and the IV in his arm got a staph infection, then he got MRSA. It took 33 days before all his organs failed and heart stopped. My daughter was there with him, trying to encourage him. Two days after funeral, she has swelling on her jaw, and is told she has CELLULITIS, MRSA related. She has battled this for 2 weeks now, with no end in sight.

Comment from: what theyknow, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am a nurse. I developed an abscess on my spine. I had no symptoms for months while this grew. One day my arm started to burn and became numb. I thought it was due to a slip I took. So did the doctors. I was told to take muscle relaxers and go home. I took a nap. When my family came to wake me a few hours later I was unable to move from my shoulders down. I was rushed to surgery. I had a great one. He removed the abscess without breaking it. It was tested and they found MRSA. They say that I didn't get it from my job.

Comment from: 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 08

My 6-year-old son woke up one day and immediately started complaining that his sheets were making his leg hurt. I pulled up his pant leg, and he had a nickel size red mark with a white "pimple" in the middle. I immediately thought "spider bite". I checked with the doctor and he had me bring him and tested and it was MRSA. We have gone through two weeks of antibiotics and bleach baths and it has only gotten worse. We are now on our second round of antibiotics and waiting on a decision of whether surgical intervention is needed.

Comment from: eelanwahs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

The first time I had MRSA it was on my back. I was in and out of emerge for a week before I was told what I had. I was given lots of misdiagnoses: ingrown hair, pimple, boil, spider bite, shingles. The pain was excruciating! I couldn't sleep. I couldn't sit. Eventually I was told I had MRSA, and the doctor put me on two antibiotics, lanced the area and I had to have it packed every day for over a month. Roughly six or seven months later I had the same sort of sore on my arm. I was in so much pain I couldn't hold my daughter, the air coming from a fan and hitting my arm had me in tears! I went to my family doctor and told him that I had MRSA before. He told me that MRSA does not re-appear and what I had was most likely shingles and sent me home. Two days later the sore had tripled in size, the pain was unbearable. My doctor has sent me to a specialist in a city a few hours from my home who is working to find out if I am a MARS carrier. I'm still waiting on results.

Must Read Articles Related to MRSA Infection

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about MRSA:

MRSA - Treatment

What was the treatment for your MRSA?

MRSA - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your MRSA?