Viewer Comments: MRSA - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about MRSA:

MRSA - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with MRSA.

Comment from: doris, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: July 06

My 78-year-old mother first had MRSA about one year ago. She was caring for her 95-yr-old mother until she passed away, and became "run down" as caregivers often do. She had a bad outbreak of MRSA on her head, legs and vaginal area, which she self treated. A week or so later, she woke up with a very stiff neck, painful legs and arms and her hands were very stiff and weak. The glands in her neck were also swollen. She went to her physician who put her on antibiotics and steroids, which made her feel better immediately, but now that she has finished them, she is starting to feel bad again.

Comment from: sadiesue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I am in the process of fighting to keep my foot and leg after 4 months of untreated MRSA. I had MRSA one other time and went immediately to my doctor when I noticed a sore not healing (I am diabetic). The location of the sore also spread to an area of my foot that was not injured. My big toe was losing big pieces of skin and the color was bad. I mentioned MRSA or at least a staph infection, but was ridiculed, "You are not a doctor. No antibiotics were prescribed.” She did, however, order a bone scan two weeks later when I returned as the infection was much worse. She gave me antibiotics at that time. A week later I was given an appointment with a podiatrist who comes twice a month and my doctor told me the podiatrist would discuss the results of the bone scan with me as she had gotten them back. Three days later, I went to the podiatrist who told me he had never gotten any results from the bone scan or any information. He then put me on more antibiotics. I switched to a new doctor, but he barely glanced at it and was much more concerned with the fact that I was an addict in recovery. I am disabled, diabetic and do not drive. I live in a rural area and I am afraid this will kill me.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I have been suffering from MRSA outbreaks for years and have been treated successfully each time by my Doctor until he retired. I now have a new doctor who does NOT believe me when I tell her I have an outbreak beginning. Each time I wind up at the ER to have abscesses drained, in horrible pain, overmedicated and with horrid scars resulting. Do not let your doctor dictate what you know is true-I am now looking for a Dr. that will listen and believe me, not ignore what I say.

Comment from: Honey, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I had a terrible experience with MRSA. It started with one infected bump that eventually grew huge and painful. Then progressed to different areas of my body (stomach, cheeks, inner thighs). All locations needed to be cut and drained. The wounds got very deep and large. I even had a surgeon send me home with a severed artery dealing with this.

Comment from: number4244, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I discovered a large red bump on my left buttock while bathing. It didn't itch nor was it sore. I thought it might be a shingle. Within the next couple days, I developed a small cluster of these bumps in the beginning crevice of my buttocks with one very large one that was very hard to the touch. I had a weird burning sensation there and then became very sore. By then I couldn't sit down and had to sit on my right hip. I went to urgent care. They took a culture and said it was MRSA.

Comment from: Rudolf, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I have a mild case of MRSA. I was told I have MRSA after a minor operation to remove a suspected melanoma spot on my nose. Still, compared to some of the stories I have heard about MRSA, I am lucky.

Comment from: ms.s, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

It l started a month ago, I was washing up and felt a small lump/bump under my left arm. I never got any kind of bumps under my arm. So I had my other half look at it and he told me he gets them all the time from deodorant or an ingrown hair, so I did not think anything of it! A few days went by and boy it started to hurt! I looked and it was half a golf ball and it happened over night because it was not like that the day before. I also noticed two more; one small and one long and thin, so I used a hot compress to draw it out. I thought it was a boil. The compress helped it and started to drain. The next day it looked and felt better however the long thin one got bigger and so painful, I could not move my arm so I went to the ER. They drained it and put me on antibiotics. It hurt for three days but cleared up fine. I was sent to a clinic for a follow up and to see how the last one I had was doing. It was there that they told me I had MRSA. The whole time I thought I did, I was just hoping for the best I work in healthcare and several of my patients have had it.

Comment from: NurseMary, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 28

A relative was diagnosed with MRSA approximately 2 years ago after sinus surgery. He is allergic to all of the "cillins" and incidentally has Crohn's Disease. He was first given intravenous Vancomycin which was starting to be effective, but the doctor said he had reached the maximum dose and although he begged to continue the treatment, the patient was discharged from the hospital. Later a PIC line was inserted, so that more Vancomycin could be administered. The patient was at home and the PIC line was monitored by a visiting nurse. The nurse inadvertently bandaged the end of the PIC line over an open MRSA lesion and the line had to be immediately discontinued. Other medications tried were Linezolid and Rifampin, both ineffective. Recently he was found to be infected with other bacteria - serratia liquefaciens. He now has numerous open, oozing sores and cellulitis on his arms and legs. He is at this time receiving only palliative narcotic therapy. The frontal sinus where the infection began appears to have collapsed. He has frequent episodes of psychosis - I am not sure if the psychosis is caused by the disease or the narcotics. I am afraid his prognosis is extremely poor. (I am an RN, retired 15 years ago.)

Must Read Articles Related to MRSA Infection

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about MRSA:

MRSA - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your MRSA?

MRSA - Treatment

What was the treatment for your MRSA?