Viewer Comments: MRSA - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about MRSA:

MRSA - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your MRSA?

Comment from: mj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I had a small boil in my arm pit which I tried to doctor myself. After a small amount of drainage, it healed. About two weeks later another larger painful boil appeared beside the other side. I went to my doctor who lanced the boil and did a culture. It was MRSA! I am now taking an antibiotic for 60 days. I go to the gym and also had two nursing homes I visited every week. I don't know where I got this infection and always wash my hands.

Comment from: NCGIRL, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I was diagnosed with MRSA after taking CIPRO for intestinal infection and sinus infection. After taking about three pills, my eyes started swelling and turning red. It was the worst pain ever. I went to allergist. He did a nose culture and found I have MRSA. I have had no sores. They said I could have gotten anywhere; at the gym, or in a nursing home, where my grandmother is. Who knows? I feel like a leper. I am so grateful I went to my allergist.

Comment from: concerned mom, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 03

My 18 yr old son went down a water slide at a water park and scraped his upper buttock (like a rug burn). We covered it and it was healing. Two weeks later the wound appeared to be healed, and there was just a little red scar, but a pimple developed next to the scar. In three days the pimple had developed into a red area so he was seen by the family doctor and put on Augmentin. We waited 72 hours and by this time there was a large pimple draining pus and other little pimples that were leaking pus. After being advised by our family doctor we went to the ER. The ER doctor lanced the area and removed the dead tissue, which ended up being about 1 1/2 inches by 1/2 inches and over 1/2 deep. The wound was packed with gauze and he is on Bactrim.

Comment from: 0-2 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

When my daughter was 4 weeks old, she started haven cold symptoms. Within 36 hours, she could hardly breathe, was very weak & stopped eating all together. We took her to the ER where they did an x-ray that showed that her entire right lung had been infected.She was hospitalized, intubated and diagnosed with MRSA pneumonia.

Comment from: Lore, 55-64 Female Published: April 25

My step-dad passed away. They took him in to ER, where he was hospitalized 5 days. They said he had MRSA. His DR started him on high doses of antibiotics. He didn't respond. All his internal organs started shutting down. Then he was gone.

Comment from: Ann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I had a bump that I thought was a pimple on the side of my nose. I scratched it and the next day it was red. By the 2nd day it had spread from the bottom of the nose to the top of the nose. By the 3rd day it was swollen and the 4th day it spread to the sinus area. It was very red and swollen and hurt to touch it. I went to my primary that gave me antibiotics. I went to a specialist 3 days later that diagnosed MRSA and gave me a stronger antibiotic.

Comment from: CRC, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

My infection started off with what I thought was a boil on the underside of my lower, right arm, just below the elbow. After 2 days I noticed that a red streak was beginning to go up my arm to the armpit area, and I was not feeling too good. I went to the doctor, where when waiting to see the doctor nearly passed out. I was immediately sent to the hospital and put into isolation and treatment followed. I was in the hospital for 10 days. After several "cocktails" of antibiotics, and then surgery, I recovered. Do not take any chances, and "assume" a red, sore spot on your body is nothing. According to my doctors I was VERY lucky I got to them when I did.

Comment from: Pride n Joy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I burnt my inner arm, cooking. It was a slight burn, and did not look like much. But I was foolish, and went on to peel the potatoes!! I had been at the gym earlier that day also. All that I know now, I wish I did more to take care of it. I was just in hurry to get supper ready, was running late. Unfortunately, I did not get it covered for two days. I thought I would do it later, but forgot all about it. It started to really hurt. The wound was red about an inch around the sore. It was oozing pus. By the fifth day, I went to see my doctor, who called the next day to say I had MRSA. All the things my mother would say to me came rushing back to me. "Get a bandage on that right away!" I wish I had, because now I have to be on strong antibiotics for the next 10 days.

Must Read Articles Related to MRSA Infection

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about MRSA:

MRSA - Treatment

What was the treatment for your MRSA?

MRSA - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with MRSA.