Viewer Comments: MRSA - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about MRSA:

MRSA - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your MRSA?

Comment from: bredshaw2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

Three years ago I had a boil lanced under my right arm by my dermatologist early one Friday morning. I went home at noon after feeling sick and don't remember anything until my sister found me Monday morning with a full blown case of MRSA in that same area. She got me to my doctor's office who immediately called an ambulance to take me to the hospital. I was unconscious for the next two weeks - had a stroke one week in. During that time I had two huge surgeries on the inside of my right armpit and upper arm. When I woke up, I was unable to speak or move anything on my right side. I was on IV Vancomycin for 4 months and then was put on oral Xyvox. I had a Wound-Vac on my wound area for 5 months until that finally healed. I have never felt so weak in my life! Luckily I had a great doctor who diagnosed what was happening. I still walk with a cane due to my stroke but am so much better after 3 years - however, ANY time I get a cut or anything, I have to see my doctor immediately to be put on antibiotics. MRSA is deadly and I am glad to be alive. My father had MRSA for 20 years living on metal plates in his back. He did not find out what was causing his excruciating pain all that time. Vancomycin did the trick for him but many, many months of it. I was told I picked up the MRSA from him.

Comment from: shmoum20, 65-74 (Patient) Published: July 25

Mine began with some little bumps just above the brow. That area became swollen. I pressed the white pimple-like stuff out and obviously touched my face to the right of my nose. This stuff virtually ate ulcerations into my face. I was diagnosed with rosacea. I knew it was something else. Upon a culture, staph, then MRSA, showed up. I am taking doxycycline, and using antibiotic ointment in my nose twice a day. It is NOT healing to my liking.

Comment from: mary, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 22

I had some hammertoe surgery and got an infection in one toe. A biopsy was done and the doctor said that I had MRSA.

Comment from: MCPilot01, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 04

A pre-op nasal swab tested positive for MRSA. I have no symptoms at all.

Comment from: bekahboop, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I've had a sore throat for over a month now. My husband had bronchitis and I'd heard there was something bad going around so I went to the clinic when my throat started to hurt. The nurse said it was strep, gave me Augmentin, and sent me home with a few days off work. The antibiotics didn't work, and while on Christmas vacation, my throat started hurting much worse. After a week, I went back to the clinic and they did a culture. I got a call from them today to tell me that I have MRSA in my throat, which I am told is very rare. I'm a little nervous about it.

Comment from: hazel eyes, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have had MRSA in my nose in the past. I had sores. I began having runny nose with sores in and outside of my nose.

Comment from: Suzieq, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I'm scheduled to have a total hip replacement. I learned three days ago that I have MRSA in my nose and am very distressed. I am using an antibiotic ointment in my nose for five days. Then I will be re-tested to see if it has cleared and the hip surgery can go forward as scheduled. I had no symptoms, other than a dry and irritated nose, which I have had many times in the past with seasonal allergies. I recently visited a friend in the hospital who has MRSA. I also had an abscesses tooth extracted last month. I'm not sure which of these events exposed me to this hideous infection. I'm hopeful that this course of ointment will clear the infection and I can proceed with my much needed hip replacement.

Comment from: celeste471117@aol.co, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I developed MRSA a month ago. The physician said it was cellulitis. The sores on my right leg were pretty bad. I was on IV antibiotics. I had been on pain medication for fibromyalgia and other problems. Pain medication does not even begin to touch this stuff.

Must Read Articles Related to MRSA Infection

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about MRSA:

MRSA - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with MRSA.

MRSA - Treatment

What was the treatment for your MRSA?