Viewer Comments: Multiple Sclerosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Multiple Sclerosis:

Multiple Sclerosis - Symptoms

The symptoms of multiple sclerosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Cls, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

At almost 42 years of age I woke up missing a quarter of my vision field in each eye. I was diagnosed as having had a stroke but nothing showed until I had an MRI a couple of months later. Three months after that test showed multiple white matter lesions, I was diagnosed with MS.

Comment from: Twinkster, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I am a 51 year old female and may possibly have MS. The left side of my face was numb last year and then it came back again this year. I went in for an MRI and I have about six or eight lesions in my brain. I have optic neuritis. I also underwent a spinal tap and had my blood drawn. I was low on Vitamin D. The neurologist has ruled everything out and believes that I could have MS. He wants me to get another MRI in January to see if anything has changed.

Comment from: Susana317, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

My first symptom of MS was when I was 16 years old. The main symptom was about 30 years later when I went blind. I had many symptoms through my life, but wasn't tested for MS until the blindness. I've had problems with fatigue and balance almost all my life.

Comment from: Nurseniecy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I was very tired and very dizzy! I had severe pain in my face and head and I have trouble holding my urine. The summer is my worst time of the year, heat is not my friend and I'm always cold. This disease is very unpredictable and frustrating!

Comment from: DEE, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 13

My friend showed symptoms of MS. He was unable to walk and he was experiencing numbness and tingling feelings in his toes.

Comment from: MissBW, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

My MS symptoms started immediately after I got pregnant with my first child in 2008. I developed severe pain in my left eye; and I began to lose my vision. After visiting my ophthalmologist, she found nothing and sent me home. I knew there was something wrong and so I kept researching. I returned to her and demanded that she perform a field vision test and a test for optic neuritis on me. After doing so, it was concluded that I did in fact have optic neuritis which is one of many things that are indicative of MS.

Comment from: Jennifer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

At the onset of my MS, I developed complete left side numbness.

Comment from: serenity, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

Nine months ago, I had an episode of vertigo while driving. I felt like my car was rolling of the road. It passed after a few minutes. Over the course of 9 months I had other episodes of dizziness or being off balance, but none as severe. I seemed extremely tired and in an intolerant mood. I was exhausted even with more sleep. My short term memory was slightly impaired and I started making lists and setting alarms on phone. Two months ago I starting dropping things with my left hand and seemed clumsy. In July, I was admitted with optic neuritis and I was diagnosed with MS after they found a lesion on my spinal cord.

Comment from: Tilley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

My symptoms were falling down twice in two weeks and then developing what is known as drop foot. This lasted about five months before I saw the doctor, then two more months later, I saw a neurologist. I also had a brain scar and an MRI and a neck x-ray. I also suffer from a feeling like pins and needles in one hand and a feeling like someone is flicking water on my legs. I have been told I have PPMS (primary progressive multiple sclerosis).

Comment from: Youngestof7, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I was just diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. I have been having terribly bad head pains in the middle and rear of my head, so off the emergency room I went and now, here I am.

Must Read Articles Related to Multiple Sclerosis

Anatomy of the Central Nervous System
Anatomy of the Central Nervous System The central nervous system consists of the brain and spinal cord.learn more >>
Complete Blood Count (CBC)
Complete Blood Count (CBC) Complete blood count (CBC) is one of the most common blood tests. The complete blood count test provides valuable information about the quantity of the differen...learn more >>
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) FAQs
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) FAQs Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic disease that affects different parts of the central nervous system at different points in time. The central nervous system ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Multiple Sclerosis:

Multiple Sclerosis - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your multiple sclerosis?

Multiple Sclerosis - Causes

What caused your multiple sclerosis?

Multiple Sclerosis - Prognosis

What is your multiple sclerosis prognosis?