Viewer Comments: Multiple Sclerosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Multiple Sclerosis:

Multiple Sclerosis - Symptoms

The symptoms of multiple sclerosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Nanette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

At the onset of my MS, I started dropping things and I had severe fatigue.

Comment from: Justme, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Finally at the age of 54 I have been diagnosed with MS!! The official diagnosis coincided with the after effects of a severe case of chicken pox in 2009. Expecting to find an inflammation in the spinal cord, the neurologist was quite surprised to discover that the chicken pox had in fact affected the MS which had been dormant. While I had undergone many tests and MRI's during the last 10 years, there was no conclusive evidence of MS, even though the MRI's showed lesions in my brain and I was experiencing most of the classic symptoms including: extreme fatigue, numbness on left side of body, poor balance, vision problems etc. It seemed every time I went to the neurologist I would be in remission and pass the tests.

Comment from: peggy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was diagnosed with MS at the age of 18. I am now 53 yrs. old. Unfortunately, I actually had multiple sclerosis when I was much younger, but MRI scans and other medical procedures were not available then. I can rememember always being unable to walk without staggering or stumbling. When I went to sleep my arms and hands would always tingle as if I had slept on them too hard during the night. My speech would slur whenever I was tired. I could not tolerate the heat or humidity without becoming extremely fatigued when I was in grammar school. I still have the same symptoms today. When the first MRI scan became available, my neurologist diagnosed me with a brain tumor. After refusing to accept his diagnoses I had a spinal tap and other various tests performed. After two years of medical testing, it was confirmed that I had multiple sclerosis. I have advanced to secondary progressive MS. I am allergic to steroids. I have been taking an interferon drug for over 13 yrs. My neurologist has included plasma pheresis treatments every six months as a booster to help prevent my progression. I have two other family members that suffer from the devastating effects of multiple sclerosis. I have experienced every symptom that MS can cause, yet I am still an active indivdual. I encourage anyone that has multiple sclerosis to never give up hope. Stay as active as long as you possibly can even if you are wheelchair bound.

Comment from: I pad, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

Pain and twitching and numbing in right arm where a tetanus shot has been given 3weeks ago. Numbness and tingling in arms, legs, face and mouth and back head, stiffness in neck , no balance, feeling of shaking , cold hands, tired most time, no energy to exercise, bad mood and nervous most of time, numbness in all body, forgetting lots of small things like where I put my keys , kind of dizzy, anxiety and worrying.

Comment from: AlaynaMarissa908, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

One month after I was diagnosed with optic neuritis I was diagnosed with MS. The disease started progressing fast. I noticed myself dropping things constantly. My hands would just get weak and give out. I woke up one morning and had lost, blurry vision in my left eye. I had very bad back and leg pain all the time. I woke up one morning and I had double vision. I am extremely tired all the time. I have no energy some days and just can't do anything. I also had very bad headaches. My case of MS got progressively worse from the time I was diagnosed, just within the first year.

Comment from: Creeps, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Optic Neuritis was the first recognized symptom of my MS. However, looking back over the years I've had many symptoms. I plan to use alternative medicine. I was just diagnosed officially this week after about a year of tests.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I was 65 years old and one day while walking warm up laps at the health club my left leg collapsed. The doctor thought it was a meniscus tear and performed arthroscopic surgery to repair a small tear. When that and physical therapy failed, I saw a neurologist and was diagnosed with PPMS. About the same time I lost voice pitch in the high range. I couldn't scream if I were being attacked by a pack of wolves. That was two years ago and since then I have developed weakness in my left arm and some foot drop in the left foot.

Comment from: poppyandbuttons, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

Numbness in both feet, which after a few days worked its way up both legs.

Must Read Articles Related to Multiple Sclerosis

Anatomy of the Central Nervous System
Anatomy of the Central Nervous System The central nervous system consists of the brain and spinal cord.learn more >>
Complete Blood Count (CBC)
Complete Blood Count (CBC) Complete blood count (CBC) is one of the most common blood tests. The complete blood count test provides valuable information about the quantity of the differen...learn more >>
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) FAQs
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) FAQs Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic disease that affects different parts of the central nervous system at different points in time. The central nervous system ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Multiple Sclerosis:

Multiple Sclerosis - Causes

What caused your multiple sclerosis?

Multiple Sclerosis - Prognosis

What is your multiple sclerosis prognosis?

Multiple Sclerosis - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your multiple sclerosis?