Viewer Comments: Multiple Sclerosis - Effective Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Multiple Sclerosis:

Multiple Sclerosis - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your multiple sclerosis?

Comment from: originaldanelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I was diagnosed with MS almost a year ago. I have had several attacks since then. I have seen two neurologists. One saying that my brain MRI was terrible; the worst he has seen in over 20 years. The second doctor I went to said that my brain MRI isn't that bad. He sent me for a spinal MRI. News on the spinal was that I have barely any lesions there. I am severely frustrated. One, because I cannot get the answers I desire from either neurologist; and two, because I have trouble walking on my right leg. The neurologist said that he doesn't understand because there aren't any major lesions on my spine. I feel as if I am going crazy! I am not imagining these issues! When the neurologist did my eye neurological exam he rushes me in for a Solu-medrol treatment the same day.

Comment from: Jhon Smith, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

My son's symptoms were over a three-month period. It started in his back. On and off for two months, my son had pains and aches across the middle of his back. We saw my aunt who is a chiropractor and then my son's doctor. Both said he was very tight across his back and suggested physical therapy. It didn't help. That subsided and then his pinky finger went numb for a few days...again, that subsided. A month later, I noticed he was walking funny...that also subsided. Somewhere in the middle of all this, he experienced balance issues, only once though. We knew something wasn't right. Right before our doctor's appointment we noticed his left side was a little weak. His doctor confirmed that he was definitely having issues with balance and reflexes. He referred us to a neurologist. That same night, we had his first spinal MRI and then a day later the brain MRI. Both tests confirmed MS. Turns out he has many lesions in his spine that were causing the back issues. I hope this helps someone. We haven't met any MS patients that actually started with the back pain.

Comment from: ColoradoCarol, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I was "formally diagnosed" about 2 years ago at the age of 42. I had no idea what was going on. I had been having severe pain and because I was taking pain medication, everyone just thought I was "a drug addict" due to the sedation. I would be fine then bam! I'd be nodding my head and couldn't keep my eyes open. I knew that I was not abusing my pain medication but I had no idea what was wrong. I was forced into a medical retirement from my job. Then, another MRI found a lesion which led to another MRI of my brain. I had multiple lesions throughout my brain and the lumbar puncture confirmed the presence of oligoclonal banding. I was really shocked. I've been on Interferon beta-1a for just over a year now and still on pain medications for the severe back pain, muscle relaxers for the spasms - and I'm still able to work - Thank God! I keep waiting for the "remission" but I have no idea what that would be. It's still a learning journey for me.

Related Reading: Interferon beta-1a

Must Read Articles Related to Multiple Sclerosis

Anatomy of the Central Nervous System
Anatomy of the Central Nervous System The central nervous system consists of the brain and spinal cord.learn more >>
Complete Blood Count (CBC)
Complete Blood Count (CBC) Complete blood count (CBC) is one of the most common blood tests. The complete blood count test provides valuable information about the quantity of the differen...learn more >>
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) FAQs
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) FAQs Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic disease that affects different parts of the central nervous system at different points in time. The central nervous system ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Multiple Sclerosis:

Multiple Sclerosis - Causes

What caused your multiple sclerosis?

Multiple Sclerosis - Prognosis

What is your multiple sclerosis prognosis?

Multiple Sclerosis - Symptoms

The symptoms of multiple sclerosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?