Viewer Comments: Munchausen Syndrome - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Munchausen Syndrome:

Munchausen Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with Munchausen syndrome.

Comment from: over it, Published: October 21

That sounds like my sister; she swears all her children have some sort of ailment. No peanuts, citrus, or dairy for the oldest one. No wheat or sugar for the youngest. She tells them that it will make them itch. Both children have eczema which of course has to be caused by foods, not that they have ever been properly tested. The other child was adopted from another country; she was shopped around until a specialist said she has thyroid disease because she "gets cold after she eats". After 3 years, this is a new problem. She also complains how tired she is being a stay at home mother, even though all kids are in school.

Comment from: dogmom, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

I have a husband who decides to have to some kind of health issue after I have had a real health problem. One time after I had a heart attack he decided not to take his blood pressure meds and insulin and ended up in the hospital. Another time he fell in a mole hole and broke his foot. A third time he found a piece of bathroom floor to slip on and broke his ankle in three places and ended up in a full leg cast. He was in a wheel chair. I was getting ready for some serious spine surgery. I broke my foot and couldn't drive. He fell a couple of times, blood pressure and blood sugar spiked really high. He ended up in the hospital. Every time I had a health issue he seemed to one that required my attention no matter what was going on with me. My doctor shared this pattern and I think he's on the right path.

Comment from: Tab, Male (Caregiver) Published: February 29

My granddaughter's mother has been to at least six different hospitals since January. Two weeks ago she claimed that my granddaughter had fallen out of a second story window, although my granddaughter did not have a scratch, bump, or bruise on her. They had to stay overnight in the hospital and my granddaughter was subjected to all the trauma and fear that experience would have had on any two-year-old. I am very concerned!

Comment from: Jeanne, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: August 08

My mother-in-law has ALL the symptoms of Muchausen syndrome. She fakes seizures, falling, abdominal pain, and other ailments. She takes medicine constantly -- over-the-counter laxatives, etc. She claims she is in constant pain due to nerve damage after each and every procedure she has ever had done. She had a hysterectomy in the early 80's and told everyone afterward that the doctor said her insides were so grossly twisted that it was no wonder she was in such pain all the time. My father-in-law told us the doctor said there was NOTHING wrong -- but he did the surgery to ease her mind. She also had a double mastectomy after finding a cyst in her breast -- NOT cancer, but she was convinced that it was and insisted on the surgery. She has been telling us that she is not going to live long for the past 40 years. I am fed up!!!

Comment from: nurse85, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

About a week ago I finally told my psychiatrist that the 23 overdoses I had in the past 7 years were carefully planned out. I knew how much aspirin I needed to get into the ICU. Being a nurse I had a lot of medical books at my disposal. I just wanted to be treated the way I used to treat my patients -- with empathy, care and respect. When I was small I don't remember any affection at all, from either parent. I feel that plays a big part of this. I was also diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. I hope that more people will come out about this illness, and hopefully get some help. I know you can do it.