Viewer Comments: Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Muscle Cramps:

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?

A Banana daily for the magnesium in it used to ward off the nighttime leg cramps. Now a Magnesium and Calcium combined supplement seems to help. When it doesn't; one, Ibuprofen (400mg) helps. This has been an intermittent problem from my 40 to 70's and each time it returns it is more severe and covers larger areas of the arms and leg muscles. Particularly in wet or humid weather.

Related Reading: Ibuprofen

I was getting very severe muscle cramps in my legs and above my knees. They would tighten up and hurt so bad I couldn't do anything but scream and rub my leg. I had it so bad one night, if I could have gotten up to get my gun, I would have used it! [I think] After I stopped using ALL sweeteners [not real sugar] my leg cramps stopped. However, recently I have been getting them again due to my lack of Potassium. I was put on 40 MG of Lasix. There is something one can take that is guaranteed for milder leg cramps or “Charlie Horse" as I've heard it referred too. Quinine really works!! One of my problems is I don't drink enough liquids! Hope this helps someone, because I can't think of anything more painful then muscle cramps in the keg or thigh-at least the kind I was getting!

Related Reading: Quinine

Comment from: moonshadow, Published: April 30

Thank you for thoroughly addressing muscle cramps. I have a extremely rare muscle disease, so everyone else don't freak out when you read this. As the article states, most muscle cramps are "benign" in nature, meaning, they resolve on their own if you pay attention to dehydration, potassium levels, etc. as mentioned. This is very good advice, so take in every bit of suggestions, preferably under a doctor's care, because you can overuse potassium, etc. so be careful. Don't worry, if you have a muscle disease, cramps and other symptoms creep up slowly. You can enjoy life with cramps if you pay attention to electrolytes, dehydration etc. so study this article! My questions related to treatment and testing (ex. EMG on Friday) were answered. Thanks again and good luck to all!

Comment from: Sore legs, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

I've had cramping problems for years, every time I play football and usually towards the end of the game when it suddenly drops me on the ground with screaming pain. But there's nothing the trainer can do except ice it, which doesn't work. I just had to wait it out. We then got a new trainer who got me to rub in some Superbalm (Dr. Wheatgrass) before the game, and I haven't had a cramp since.

Comment from: Toad, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

A way to stop cramps is to pinch the philtrum (the furrow between your nose and upper lip with your thumb and forefinger. It will even stop the cramp from happening, if you catch it as it starts. Be sure to point your toes up, as well. Not sure why this works every time - might be some kind of acupressure point.

Comment from: MrsMudge, 45-54 Female Published: April 15

I have leg and foot cramps frequently, from inner thigh muscles to shins, calves, and feet. Usually at night in bed. I used to eat Tums for the calcium, it helped somewhat. I finally realized that dehydration was a major cause of my cramps and at the first twinge; I drink lots of water, and replace electrolytes with Tums, Gatorade. Now I will look for something chewable with calcium and magnesium. Also, if I walk in high heel shoes all day I would get an extra dose of foot cramps. I usually wound up putting my high heels back on to stop the cramps and then sleep with them on. It seems crazy sometimes.

Must Read Articles Related to Muscle Cramps

Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>
Dehydration in Children
Dehydration in Children Dehydration in children can result from not drinking enough liquids, vomiting, diarrhea, or combination of these conditions. Causes of dehydration in children i...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Muscle Cramps:

Muscle Cramps In Calves - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?