Viewer Comments: Muscle Strain - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Muscle Strain:

Muscle Strain - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your muscle strain?

Comment from: S girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

The only symptoms I have are mild pain while at rest. The severe pain and weakness occur when trying to climb a flight of stairs. I am prone to Charlie horses in my calves and this pain feel kind of like a Charlie horse that won't relax. Thus far the only thing that is helping is staying off of it.

Comment from: muscletear, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I tore a muscle in my foot about a month ago, near the heel. My general doctor told me not to take any anti-inflammatory medications. My podiatrist told me it was ok to take them and seemed puzzled by this. I am taking some prescription pain medicine and am in a wheelchair, walking boot with an orthotic inserted, use crutches around the house, am icing the area and keeping it elevated. I was also placed on a leave from work for four weeks so I can focus on getting better. I hope it heals quickly.

Comment from: lane709, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

My strain is in the muscle on the lower top part of my right arm - near the elbow. Problem is I am right-handed and live alone, so I can't give it the required rest. All activity hurts it.

Comment from: sassy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I strained a muscle in my back. After that I applied ice, 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off. Doing this relieved the pain quite a bit, and I also took 600mg of ibuprofen every six hours.

Comment from: tennis player, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I went to osteopath/acupuncturist and I have muscle tear. Massage and acupuncture were given first and second weeks. The pain in buttocks gone but I still have pain in hamstring. Exercises given, stopped playing tennis and doing some gentle walking, seems to be working.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

Physical therapy made my muscle strain worse. Trigger-point injections were only temporary. Cortisone was a nightmare, as it crystallized. And my workmen's comp agent refused an MRI. The pain is still unbearable after a month.

For muscle strain, ice has helped the best!!

Must Read Articles Related to Muscle Strain

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Knee Injury
Knee Injury Knee injuries may be caused by a direct blow to the knee or by twisting or stretching of the ligaments, tendons, and surrounding muscles. Knee pain and swelling...learn more >>
Knee Pain
Knee Pain Overview Knee pain has a wide variety of causes and treatments. Home care for knee pain involves protecting the knee from further trauma, in addition to resting, icing, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Muscle Strain:

Muscle Strain - Recovery Time

How long did it take for you to recover from your muscle strain?