Viewer Comments: Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Myeloma:

Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms

The symptoms of multiple myeloma can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: dede53, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I was in an MVA, hit from behind so a CAT scan of my neck was performed. It revealed several lesions in my cervical spine. So I think it was a gift that MM was discovered before I was symptomatic. My bone marrow biopsy is next week so then I can be staged and a treatment plan can be developed. I feel great so it's very hard to as they say "wrap my head" around this diagnosis!

Comment from: James, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I'm 60. Woke one night with heavy, cold sweats, sudden onset of severe nausea. totally dehydrated, passed-out before EMS arrived. First thought was severe food poisoning. Re-hydrated and dismissed from hospital 4 days later. Blood work looked normal. Felt really weak and no energy. wight started dropping. Exact same condition hit two months later, but happened in the morning at office. Two weeks in hospital. "M" spike showed up in blood test, but thought it was a false-positive, but also noted first signs of elevated protein "C" - I had never heard of "M" spike or Protein C; They sort of explained what they thought was going on but needed to do a spinal tap. First stage multi-myeloma. Absolutely no energy. My work involved international trade & travel. I had to take leave of absence from work. Couldn't concentrate, became confused very easily, memory loss. I feel like treatments are making some difference, but I am still amazed that I had no idea that anything was wrong until the first "episode" hit. If this had happened when I was out of the country, I doubt I would be writing this.

Comment from: Lily, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had multiple infections including CMV. My blood work showed elevated protein and other abnormalities. I was feeling unusually tired. A few months later, I had a severe bout of pneumonia. I was diagnosed while hospitalized. I was told I was stage 2 to 3 and a PET scan revealed involvement in my hips, pelvis and ribs. I have started treatment.

Comment from: Dinyakay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I had chronic back pain and I was unable to walk without pain. My spine fractured in 3 different places, and I also had nausea, fatigue and I was constipated. Those were my symptoms that landed me in the hospital for a month. In December, I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma. I recently had a stem cell transplant. I'm doing okay, but I still feel tired a lot and every once in awhile I get a stabbing pain in my stomach that makes me nauseated. I have had pneumonia twice and came out of it okay.

Comment from: Antima, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: January 20

The few symptoms which I have observed in my father: Pain in spine, weight loss and tiredness. Few words which I would like to share with the patient & his family: Please don't lose your hope to live long. Your hope is our trust. Trust, that this is not end of life. The treatment is expensive but then old people have the right to live. When our parents gave us everything when we were young, we should also give then everything possible when they are old. They are our foundation. Please understand your parents.

Comment from: Dutchman, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 28

In the summer of 2008 I was frequently quite tired and I had a lower back ache. At my annual physical I seemed to be OK. My doctor gave me pills for the backache. That pain is not uncommon when you are 78. Late September/early October I got to be very confused. My wife noted that I could not put a simple battery in a record player. My daughter noticed that I could not write my signature. On my doctor's advice my family checked me into the hospital. There it was obvious to the doctor that: 1) I was very confused, and 2) My blood pressure was over 200. I was immediately admitted. I do not remember anything for the next 5 days as a result of hypercalcemia. By the time I started to come out of this, my family knew that I had Multiple Myeloma. Nobody had ever heard of this. While I was out, the doctor took bone marrow from my hip. Even though this is painful, I have no memory of this. I spent almost a month in the hospital. After that I was first treated with Velcade IV's, twice a week, for about 4 months. Then with Alkeran and Prednisone for about 2 months. Last June 2009 my oncologist told me that the cancer is in remission. I am still being treated with Revlimid for 6 months now and receive an Aredia IV every 6 weeks. I feel reasonably good at present.

Comment from: Diane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I am in shock. Two weeks ago my GP ran a routine blood test for cholesterol and then referred me to an oncologist because my blood M protein is 1. Today the oncologist said she will be running tests for multiple myeloma. She said RBC and WBC was normal. No pain and hike 2 miles every day. The tests are x-rays, 24 hour urine, and more blood tests. I feel she already knows I have multiple myeloma, but told me to continue with normal life until results. Very scared.

Must Read Articles Related to Myeloma

Bone Marrow Biopsy
Bone Marrow Biopsy A bone marrow biopsy is performed to evaluate bone marrow function or to determine the cause of some infections, diagnose tumors, determine how far a disease, s...learn more >>
Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Myeloma:

Myeloma - Treatment

What was the treatment for your myeloma?

Myeloma - Prevention and Outlook

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting myeloma?

Myeloma - Experience

Please describe your experience with myeloma.