Viewer Comments: Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Myeloma:

Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms

The symptoms of multiple myeloma can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Dinyakay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I had chronic back pain and I was unable to walk without pain. My spine fractured in 3 different places, and I also had nausea, fatigue and I was constipated. Those were my symptoms that landed me in the hospital for a month. In December, I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma. I recently had a stem cell transplant. I'm doing okay, but I still feel tired a lot and every once in awhile I get a stabbing pain in my stomach that makes me nauseated. I have had pneumonia twice and came out of it okay.

Comment from: Antima, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: January 20

The few symptoms which I have observed in my father: Pain in spine, weight loss and tiredness. Few words which I would like to share with the patient & his family: Please don't lose your hope to live long. Your hope is our trust. Trust, that this is not end of life. The treatment is expensive but then old people have the right to live. When our parents gave us everything when we were young, we should also give then everything possible when they are old. They are our foundation. Please understand your parents.

Comment from: Dutchman, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 28

In the summer of 2008 I was frequently quite tired and I had a lower back ache. At my annual physical I seemed to be OK. My doctor gave me pills for the backache. That pain is not uncommon when you are 78. Late September/early October I got to be very confused. My wife noted that I could not put a simple battery in a record player. My daughter noticed that I could not write my signature. On my doctor's advice my family checked me into the hospital. There it was obvious to the doctor that: 1) I was very confused, and 2) My blood pressure was over 200. I was immediately admitted. I do not remember anything for the next 5 days as a result of hypercalcemia. By the time I started to come out of this, my family knew that I had Multiple Myeloma. Nobody had ever heard of this. While I was out, the doctor took bone marrow from my hip. Even though this is painful, I have no memory of this. I spent almost a month in the hospital. After that I was first treated with Velcade IV's, twice a week, for about 4 months. Then with Alkeran and Prednisone for about 2 months. Last June 2009 my oncologist told me that the cancer is in remission. I am still being treated with Revlimid for 6 months now and receive an Aredia IV every 6 weeks. I feel reasonably good at present.

Comment from: Diane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I am in shock. Two weeks ago my GP ran a routine blood test for cholesterol and then referred me to an oncologist because my blood M protein is 1. Today the oncologist said she will be running tests for multiple myeloma. She said RBC and WBC was normal. No pain and hike 2 miles every day. The tests are x-rays, 24 hour urine, and more blood tests. I feel she already knows I have multiple myeloma, but told me to continue with normal life until results. Very scared.

Comment from: Grins, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 06

My husband, aged 63, had significant back and rib cage pain. He also lost 40 pounds without efforts to do so. His primary care physician thought he might have PMR, and prescribed Prednisone (steroid). While my husband did improve somewhat, the improvement was not remarkable as expected by the course of steroids. On referral, the doctor ordered blood tests and x-rays. Within 18 hours, my husband was diagnosed with plasma cell myeloma which was confirmed by a bone marrow biopsy.

Comment from: ss, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 09

A loved one has been diagnosed with multiple myeloma. He has about less than 15% of it in 3 vertebra's and is currently on treatment. He has been told that after a Bone marrow transplant he would be 90% cured from what I understand this disease is treatable but not curable what is a life span for someone who has this disease at this stage can it go in remission or is it something you live with for the remaining of your life.

Comment from: Neil, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

I went to the doctors for treatment of Hep C. After getting blood test and being told the Hep C had cleared itself the doctor said he wanted to take more blood tests as there appears to be something going on in my system. After further blood tests they confirmed I had Myeloma. I have no symptoms as yet so it is just luck they found it early. I'm just starting on treatment to help harden my bones and get regular blood tests. Hopefully I'll be alright for a while yet. It is a shock to the system no doubt about it.

Comment from: skippy, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 18

My brother had multiple myeloma went through all the treatments. He maintained for a short time, but the back pain forced him to use a walker at 58 years old. In April of this year he got a severe nose bleed was admitted again. He had a test and it was determined that the calcium levels were high which meant the cancer was going to his brain, he got crossed eyed, confused and went downhill very fast. He passed away June 4, 2010.

Must Read Articles Related to Myeloma

Bone Marrow Biopsy
Bone Marrow Biopsy A bone marrow biopsy is performed to evaluate bone marrow function or to determine the cause of some infections, diagnose tumors, determine how far a disease, s...learn more >>
Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Myeloma:

Myeloma - Treatment

What was the treatment for your myeloma?

Myeloma - Prevention and Outlook

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting myeloma?

Myeloma - Experience

Please describe your experience with myeloma.