Viewer Comments: Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Myeloma:

Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms

The symptoms of multiple myeloma can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Grins, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 06

My husband, aged 63, had significant back and rib cage pain. He also lost 40 pounds without efforts to do so. His primary care physician thought he might have PMR, and prescribed Prednisone (steroid). While my husband did improve somewhat, the improvement was not remarkable as expected by the course of steroids. On referral, the doctor ordered blood tests and x-rays. Within 18 hours, my husband was diagnosed with plasma cell myeloma which was confirmed by a bone marrow biopsy.

Comment from: ss, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 09

A loved one has been diagnosed with multiple myeloma. He has about less than 15% of it in 3 vertebra's and is currently on treatment. He has been told that after a Bone marrow transplant he would be 90% cured from what I understand this disease is treatable but not curable what is a life span for someone who has this disease at this stage can it go in remission or is it something you live with for the remaining of your life.

Comment from: Neil, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

I went to the doctors for treatment of Hep C. After getting blood test and being told the Hep C had cleared itself the doctor said he wanted to take more blood tests as there appears to be something going on in my system. After further blood tests they confirmed I had Myeloma. I have no symptoms as yet so it is just luck they found it early. I'm just starting on treatment to help harden my bones and get regular blood tests. Hopefully I'll be alright for a while yet. It is a shock to the system no doubt about it.

Comment from: skippy, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 18

My brother had multiple myeloma went through all the treatments. He maintained for a short time, but the back pain forced him to use a walker at 58 years old. In April of this year he got a severe nose bleed was admitted again. He had a test and it was determined that the calcium levels were high which meant the cancer was going to his brain, he got crossed eyed, confused and went downhill very fast. He passed away June 4, 2010.

Comment from: al w., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

My symptoms were mainly morning nausea and a "dark feeling" I also noticed a very, very weak urine stream. As it turned out, my creatinine was a 9 (normal in 0.9-1.2 for a man my age) which meant that I was in kidney failure.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

At 54, blood tests during an office visit relating to a severe flu revealed anemia. My internal physician was cautious and asked for follow-up tests over the next several months. When the numbers did not improve, I was referred to the hematologist, who proffered a preliminary diagnosis of myeloma and then confirmed it with bone marrow biopsy. I was stage II, with lambda light chains around 14000 mg/L. I had no prior symptoms, although friends subsequently noted that I had been sick often during the previous year. The oncologist observed that I was carrying the disease very well: looking more visibly ill might have accelerated diagnosis. It was fortunate that I sought treatment for the flu, or diagnosis might have been delayed until more serious damage had occurred. My first myeloma symptoms--acute bone pain in lower ribs--didn't occur until a month after the diagnosis.

Comment from: Bud, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

My husband was diagnoised with stage 2 multiple myeloma two weeks ago. His protein level was 3,191 and should not be over 400. His creatine was 1.7, which is to high and that put him in stage 2. His hemaglobin is good. He had the biopsy and will be starting predisone and thalidomide. It was a real shock to us both.

Must Read Articles Related to Myeloma

Bone Marrow Biopsy
Bone Marrow Biopsy A bone marrow biopsy is performed to evaluate bone marrow function or to determine the cause of some infections, diagnose tumors, determine how far a disease, s...learn more >>
Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Myeloma:

Myeloma - Treatment

What was the treatment for your myeloma?

Myeloma - Prevention and Outlook

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting myeloma?

Myeloma - Experience

Please describe your experience with myeloma.