Viewer Comments: Myeloma - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Myeloma:

Myeloma - Experience

Please describe your experience with myeloma.

Comment from: mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I was just diagnosed with myeloma very recently. I am still getting to grips with the news. It was a shock to me as I had never heard of it before. At present I am trying to get more information regarding the subject. This is for me to understand hopefully to deal with the illness. My problems at present is headaches, and burning sensation in my lumbar area and sometimes even have prickly heat on the upper back. This problems does not stop me from going out or doing things. I do wear a belt for my back ache if I have pain in that area. I have had back problems since nursing days, as I was a nurse in the past. I really do not know how it will progress. Time will tell.

Comment from: Hutch, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 18

My husband is 59 years old and recently diagnosed with stage 1 multiple myeloma. Initially symptoms began with severe fatigue, back pain, excruciating headaches, and pneumonia. Two months later admitted to the hospital for dizziness which resulted in anemia. Blood tests revealed high levels of protein in his blood work. He was recently hospitalized for five days for chemotherapy treatments.

Must Read Articles Related to Myeloma

Bone Marrow Biopsy
Bone Marrow Biopsy A bone marrow biopsy is performed for any of the following reasons:
  • to evaluate bone marrow function or to determine the cause of some infections; /...
learn more >>
18 Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Myeloma:

Myeloma - Treatment

What was the treatment for your myeloma?

Myeloma - Prevention and Outlook

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting myeloma?

Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms

The symptoms of multiple myeloma can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?