Nail Injuries Overview
The fingernail is an important part of fingertip function. It provides support for the finger pad and improves sensation. The toenail functions in a similar manner in the foot.
Injuries to the nail can range from a bruise under the nail to separation of the nail from the nail bed. They can be complex wounds to repair. Permanent deformity to the nail can result, even after proper repair.
The nail is a complex structure involving three different layers.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 6/6/2014
Allison Harvey, MD
Must Read Articles Related to Nail Injuries
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nail Injuries:
Nail Injuries - Causes
What was the cause of your nail injury?
Pain and Injury Resources
- 18 Tips to Keep Your Joints Healthy
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Are You Taking Too Many Pain Meds?
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu