Nail Injuries (cont.)
Exams and Tests
The doctor will make a detailed examination of the hand or foot and the injured nail and decide the extent of treatment and repair necessary by performing the following procedures.
- The doctor will want to know exactly how the injury occurred to determine possible injuries and if the wound is contaminated (especially if it is from a bite).
- The doctor will ask about other medical problems, medications, allergies, and the date of your most recent tetanus shot.
- Your pulse and blood pressure will be checked.
- Possibly, an x-ray of the hand or foot will be taken.
- Blood tests are not usually required.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 6/6/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Nail Injuries
Finger infections can be caused by a variety of bacteria and viruses. Types of finger infections include paronychia, felon, herpetic whitlow, cellulitis, infect...learn more >>
Onychomycosis is an infection of the fingernails and/or toenails by fungus. The infection causes nails to discolor, thicken, and split, which can cause discomfo...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nail Injuries: