Newborn Jaundice (cont.)
When to Seek Medical Care
Call your doctor if your newborn baby becomes jaundiced.
- If your doctor is aware of the jaundice and you are observing your child at home, call your doctor if the jaundice spreads to the arms or legs or if it lasts beyond 1 week.
- Call your doctor if you don't feel comfortable watching your child at home or if you have any other questions or concerns.
When to go to the hospital
- If your child appears ill to you (if he or she is refusing to eat, seems excessively sleepy, or has floppy arms and legs) or has a temperature of 100.4 F
(38 C) or higher, you should seek medical attention immediately.
- Go to the hospital if your child seems to be having difficulty breathing.
- If your child stops breathing or begins turning blue, administer rescue breaths if you are trained in CPR. Send someone to call 911 immediately.
Must Read Articles Related to Newborn Jaundice
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) Poisoning
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning is caused primarily by damage to the liver. Symptoms of acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning include nausea, vomiting, abdominal ...learn more >>
Anatomy of the Digestive System
Digestion is the process in which food is broken into smaller pieces so the body can use them to build and nourish cells and provide energy. The digestive syste...learn more >>
CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Newborn Jaundice: